Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Does my old PC stand a chance against this game?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

I have always wanted to play this and possibly the first game, they seemed like games that I could really get into. With the release of the xbox version (and me being xbox-less) I was hoping to get some help on if my PC can run this fairly well. According to the minimum specs I should be able to run it but I don't want it to run like garbage, I'd rather wait. Anyway, I guess the main things I would like is a decent frame rate, I imagine even this game on low still looks rather good. Here are a few of my specs off the top of my head. If you need to know more let me know and I will try to dig it up. 

Windows 7 
    6 GB of ram 
    Geforce 9600 gt 
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU  2.33 GHZ

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

Bummmmp

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alternate

The gfx card will hold you back. It should run well enough if you mess with the settings but you will be lucky if it looks better than the 360 version.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Hmm.. I think that CPU still does OK with new games that aren't too CPU-heavy (such as Bad Company 2), but I don't know about the 9600 GT. I think Witcher 2 would chew it up and spit it out even on minimum settings.

Then again, I beat Crysis 2 on a 8600 GT so there's no way of telling, I don't believe in required specs. What you need is a demo and barely anyone releases those anymore because they want to force you to buy'n'pray and end up with a 60 dollar piece of software that doesn't run on your machine.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bybeach

The dev/publisher will list minimum/max. requirements. Steam says yes(quick way often of seeing specs) Go to steam and you will see the info laid out.

You are bouncing your line off the bottom, though

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

It will run poorly. I was able to kinda play it on my Vista 4 gb ram 8800gts at a somewhat shitty frame rate.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By destruktive

Stand a chance? Nope. Playable? Maybe but it'll suck.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kyrieee

It should be ok. Witcher 2 doesn't run as horribly on old systems as you might think.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones

Thank you for the help. It's some sad news but I saw it coming. I believe my pc is now 7 years old. I have thrown some stuff in it like the extra ram and graphics card in there for an extra boost but I think I've done all I wanna do with it. It seems like the game could run decent but by cranking the settings way down. Guess I will mostly likely wait for a crazy amazon or steam sale for the purchase. Thanks again everyone

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlasherMan

I ran it on my old 8800GT (which is a bit faster than a 9600GT) pretty well on medium settings (40 FPS average, few drops here and there, but mostly stable), albeit at a lower resolution (1280x720). Was running a Q9400 at stock clocks, IIRC.

I would think you should be able to run it at low-medium-ish settings at the same resolution. It's not easy to give you a straight answer, especially since what is considered playable might vary from one person to another. Searching on Google yields some interesting results though, with some people claiming to find it very playable.

According to this benchmark, it should be playable (mind you they are using an i7-920 in that machine, but the game's more GPU dependent than anything else, so it shouldn't matter greatly here especially with an underpowered GPU):

The 6570 (last card in the chart) is about the same as the 9600GT performance-wise. This is running low settings at 1440x900.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@AhmadMetallic said:

Hmm.. I think that CPU still does OK with new games that aren't too CPU-heavy (such as Bad Company 2), but I don't know about the 9600 GT. I think Witcher 2 would chew it up and spit it out even on minimum settings.

Then again, I beat Crysis 2 on a 8600 GT so there's no way of telling, I don't believe in required specs. What you need is a demo and barely anyone releases those anymore because they want to force you to buy'n'pray and end up with a 60 dollar piece of software that doesn't run on your machine.

"The game's just too big to summarize in a 15-30 minute demo!"

DBHErazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DBHErazor

@Sackmanjones: Hmm it miiiiight be able to run it, but not well. The game is very intensive on ur PC and aswell it should be, since it´s the most beautiful RPG ever created. And playing it on a bad PC would never do it justice =)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

@AhmadMetallic said:

Hmm.. I think that CPU still does OK with new games that aren't too CPU-heavy (such as Bad Company 2), but I don't know about the 9600 GT. I think Witcher 2 would chew it up and spit it out even on minimum settings.

Then again, I beat Crysis 2 on a 8600 GT so there's no way of telling, I don't believe in required specs. What you need is a demo and barely anyone releases those anymore because they want to force you to buy'n'pray and end up with a 60 dollar piece of software that doesn't run on your machine.

I thought you said there wasn't a squeal to Crysis... :P

What's going on Brother?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @mordukai said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I thought you said there wasn't a squeal to Crysis... :P

What's going on Brother?

I would call it something else if I could but they named it that!
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog

I could play it on my laptop on ATI HD 5470 and it looked pretty great (With some occasional hiccups), so... I'm not really sure to tell you the truth. I'm almost certain it would run on low, maybe medium, but higher than that... I wouldn't count on it.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I have a slightly better GPU than you and I get maybe 20-30 FPS at 720p on the absolute minimum settings in most areas. It goes to complete shit in the first town.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.