Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

First impressions - combat and interface!

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flaboere

Hi. So, after about 8-9 hours of downloading, I'm leaving it for tonight after 1 hour of play. Holy hell, this game is a lot harder than the first. I'll say that it's extremely pretty and good looking. As promised! Now, I don't actually think the game is bad, I think it's good so far, but I just got completely deflated by a few points. First off, someone need to show CD Projekt Red how to make tutorials! It seems you simply get a hint here and there, and while you're actually doing what the hint is explaining. And generally, things are not explained enough at all. I tried out the arm-wrestling, and only got instructions when the game actually started, so I'm kind of focused on the mini-game itself, and don't have time to read the instructions. Also, the combat really needs explaining. It's almost nothing like the first game. I quit after dieing 8 times on the ballista in the very beginning. Blocking doesn't always work, there's no indication of when and how to chain attacks, and you seem to really need to use your signs alot, which wasn't necessary in the previous game. 

Anyway, I'm thrilled to finally have it, i'll give it a go again tomorrow I think, and most likely die more times, but I hope I'll "crack" the combat eventually. 

What are your guys oppinion?
    onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By onan

...you can block?

It does feel like they messed up the tutorial aspect of this completely. Especially the introductory segment where you can select dialogue choices that actually fire up flashbacks. I selected "What happened to the dragon?" first, thinking that it was the least likely to progress the narrative since I was asking about information and not giving it. Instead, I get dumped into the 4th tutorial segment with tutorial cards flashing up wildly because of everything that's happening and the fact I hadn't encountered any of that yet. Lovely.

(also, stupid question, but is there a point picking things up in the flashback? I'm walking over every square inch of grass I can find trying to get herbs but it would suck something fierce if I just lost it all after the tutorial segments.)

Good thing I got a PDF manual, looks like I'm going to need it.

Also, this looks INCREDIBLY console friendly, especially with the in-game graphics options limited to correcting brightness and gamma, and the spells placed on a wheel lifted straight out of Dragon Age. A console port hasn't been announced yet, right?

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Flaboere
    @onan said:

...you can block?

It does feel like they messed up the tutorial aspect of this completely. Especially the introductory segment where you can select dialogue choices that actually fire up flashbacks. I selected "What happened to the dragon?" first, thinking that it was the least likely to progress the narrative since I was asking about information and not giving it. Instead, I get dumped into the 4th tutorial segment with tutorial cards flashing up wildly because of everything that's happening and the fact I hadn't encountered any of that yet. Lovely.

(also, stupid question, but is there a point picking things up in the flashback? I'm walking over every square inch of grass I can find trying to get herbs but it would suck something fierce if I just lost it all after the tutorial segments.)

Good thing I got a PDF manual, looks like I'm going to need it.

Also, this looks INCREDIBLY console friendly, especially with the in-game graphics options limited to correcting brightness and gamma, and the spells placed on a wheel lifted straight out of Dragon Age. A console port hasn't been announced yet, right?

After reading around a bit, I think that block uses the same resource that magic does, and therefore will fail now and then.
    I did the same thing in the conversation in the beginning, after trying for the 2nd time, and it's stupid that they don't make you aware that you're picking chapters of the intro. 
    You're absolutely right about the console-feel, and I think you're right about there not having been announced console ports yet.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

They said they wanted to do a port a few months ago tbf.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gike987
    @onan: You can read all the tutorials in the journal if you missed them.
    onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By onan

"if" ?

Not much of a tutorial if I have to read the manual. It is what it is, I suppose.

DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoctorLazy

I really loved the first Witcher.  Everything in this game seems great, except that combat.  Which seems awful.  I'm really regretting my purchase right now.  I'll keep at it though, maybe I'm just not understanding the new system yet.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By newhaap
    @DoctorLazy: Yeah, the combat needs a better tutorial, but even after I got a good idea of how it works the amount of dodging you need to do makes the combat look and feel pretty silly. I feel like it's not consistently responsive too. But maybe you're right and it just takes some getting used to.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MrOldboy

I hate the inventory interface (even using a mouse) and the combat radial menu. There are 4 directions, for the signs you have to go left then up/down to get what you want with the controller. Why not just a circle! it works, no need to be original.

I really wish I could use the mouse in the inventory, but I guess that's the price I'll pay for playing with a controller. But it makes the combat so much more fun. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.