Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

For all the people that are sitting on PCs as old as mine..

• 58 results
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FritzDude
    @CosmicQueso said:

@FritzDude said:

Still waiting for the console release. Right now i couldn't care less on installing, updating and spend hours on tweaking the game settings. And maybe some areas later on will be more demanding, meaning that i need to tweak it even more. And my GPU-fan goes crazy when i play new games too. I have to admit, it looks pretty even on low/mid settings. But how is the framerate holding up?

What, do you think you'll need to also do some C++ programming or put in another Voodoo2 card?  What about your CMOS jumper thingamabobs.  Man, yeah, hours and hours it takes for that.  It installs and updates automatically if you get it on Steam and the game settings takes, I dunno, 10-15 seconds?  Give me a break.

Hello PC user. You don't know me, my PC or my internet connection so hush.
    Avatar image for kittens4breakfast
    kittens4breakfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just a tip, if you turn off anti aliasing in this game you get an extra 20+ frames. I have a i5 2500k and a 5770 and i get around 50 fps 1080p everything max except for aa. 

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By shadystx
    @TheSeductiveMoose: No probs, I thought this would be the game that broke my GPU's back but i was plesantly surprised that the 8800GT is holding up well, I am of the opinion that the 8800 range was a very good card for price/performance, I am planning on buying a new rig but i had been thinking about just buying a new 8800GT and running SLI but i am a sucker for new hardware and intend to do it all again real soon, The rig allows me to play most games maxed and others at high levels and it did not cost me £3000, As really you dont need to spend £3000 to just play games, you can spend less than £1000 and get a real good machine if you build it yourself.

I just tried to tweak a few settings, I changed LOD Distance from near to normal, Turned on Cinematic Depth Of Field and the game still runs great, I also turned on dangling objects limit to see how much it limits but i never checked out enough to see excatly what it does, I assume it limits dangling objects but to what extent i am unsure, It could just limit things hanging from coat hangers etc or it could limit everything from leaves, branches and the like so if your in need of some more FPS you could try sticking that on.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Can I even run the game? 

ntel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz
      2.0 GHz *Cpu*  

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 

Anyone?
    shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By shadystx

Found a nice explanation on zee web of what everything does, I am sure most people know what these values mean already but just incase a few people are not sure(like i was about a few things) this may help you out when tweaking settings.

-Texture downscaling: higher values result in lower texture quality.

-Texture memory size: sets the amount of graphics card memory allocated to textures. Larger values will decrease the amount of streaming that occurs in game and will make the game run more smoothly, but they can also cause the graphics card to run out of memory and even result in game crashes. Choose a reasonable value based on the amount of memory available on your graphics card.

- Shadow quality: affects graphics performance. Consumes GPU power without affecting CPU performance.

- Number of shadowed lights: set the maximum number of lights that cast shadows. Affects graphics performance. Consumes GPU power without affecting CPU performance.

- LOD distance: distance scale for level of detail on meshes. Lower values improve game performance but result in reduced detail on models.

- Bloom: effect greatly improves quality of game graphics without placing excess demands on GPU.

- Light shafts: visual effect recommended for medium-high/high-end machines. Should be disabled on older systems.

- Anti-aliasing: demanding effect that can significantly reduce performance, so it should be disabled on medium and low-end machines.

- Blur effects: special blur and radial blur visual effects that are quite demanding on hardware but used rarely in the game.

- Depth of field – gameplay: subtle visual effect. Option determines appearance of effect only during gameplay sequences and does not affect DoF in cutscenes.

- Vignette: aesthetic option that produces a photographic vignette around the game screen. Does not affect performance.

- Rain, Wet surfaces rain effect: modest impact on performance.

- SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion): lighting effect that is important to the game but unfortunately places significant demands on the GPU.

- Motion blur: blur effect on camera movement, demanding on the GPU.

- Cinematic depth of field: provides movie-like depth of field in cutscenes and dialogue sequences. Extremely detailed but demands significant power. Should only be enabled on machines equipped with top-end graphics cards.

- Depth of field – cutscenes: option only affects cutscenes and dialogue sequences, does not affect gameplay performance.

- Dangling objects limit: limiter for physical animation of character components like Geralt's hair. Disabling this option places greater demands on the CPU.

- Ubersampling: high quality rendering mode under which whole scenes are rendered multiple times to provide the best possible textures, object details and anti-aliasing (superior to anti-alias and anisotropy even on the highest settings). Use with caution, only on top-end computers (best possible in terms of both GPU and CPU).

- Vertical sync: helps eliminate "screen tearing" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing) during camera movements and blinking on very quick animations (e.g., bright explosions), but can cause somewhat slower rendering and short input lags.

- Decals: enabling decals like dust or blood on characters can affect CPU performance.

Copy and pasted this from a guy called  Garudin, He had posted it on gamefaqs.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By YoThatLimp

Almost tempted to pirate it just to see if I can play it on my laptop. Really wanting a good RPG to sink my teeth into at the moment. 

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By harinosho

I switched my ati 5450 for my old Nvidea 9600.. freaking plays great. was on low settings now running medium.. on the highest resolutions.. no problems.  

ati.. once again you never fail to fail. 

still going to play the first one so i dont miss anything.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Bane

I was surprised at how well this game runs considering how good looking it is. I think this game is even more impressive than Arkham Asylum in that regard. If you're on the fence about whether or not your rig could handle it on medium I'd go for it. I think you'll be surprised too.

I'm running it on Ultra settings (with Ubersampling disabled because yeah right and Motion Blur disabled because I hate it) at 1920 x 1200 on an Intel Q9450, nVidia GTX 560 Ti and 4 GB RAM.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.