Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Having major framerate issues.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By ADAMWD

I just bought this today, and I can't get through the opening cinematic, the framerate is so god-awful. Right now I have the game set at the lowest settings, so I don't know why it is acting this way. Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    6.0 GB of RAM
    GeForce GTX260M - 1GB
    OS is Windows 7 64-bit
    Resolution is 1600x900

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

update driver

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

or try playing with a lower resolution

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ADAMWD

I feel stupid, I just recently had my hard drive replaced because my old one crashed, and I haven't updated the driver for the graphics card.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

a dur i told you

driver that shit

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ADAMWD

Is it necessary to uninstall the 3D vision driver?

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chronologist
    @ADAMWD: If you haven't updated the game to 1.2, yes.  EDIT: And installed the latest Nvidia driver 275.33.
    If you have, I would say no.
    ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ADAMWD

Updated driver, knocked resolution down to 1280x720. It's a little better, but still unplayable. My specs meet the recommended settings for the game, so at the lowest graphics setting, I don't see why I'm unable to play the game.

anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By anypti

Do NOT install the 3D shit from nVidia. Delete it, then Witcher 2 will run smooth as silk. I had the same problem with my Gtx 480, intel i7 and 6gb ram, and it lagged on medium. But after i uninstalled the 3D drivers i could run it at high setting.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By awe_stuck

Could be your graphics card. Try downloading drivers from nvidia guru. Witcher 2 really isnt optimized at all. It looks and plays similar to Dragon Age 2 (though with detail looks a lot better), and ya it will ruin your computer. 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@awe_stuck said:

Could be your graphics card. Try downloading drivers from nvidia guru. Witcher 2 really isnt optimized at all. It looks and plays similar to Dragon Age 2 (though with detail looks a lot better), and ya it will ruin your computer.

From what I've experienced/heard, beyond actual compatibility issues, the game runs fine at anything but max settings. There are just some things the game does that are crazy expensive at the highest settings. And even below max settings, the game mostly looks the same. This is clearly not optimization, but conflict with drivers or something to that effect.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By awe_stuck
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

@awe_stuck said:

From what I've experienced/heard, beyond actual compatibility issues, the game runs fine at anything but max settings. There are just some things the game does that are crazy expensive at the highest settings. And even below max settings, the game mostly looks the same. This is clearly not optimization, but conflict with drivers or something to that effect.

I'm just saying the game as a whole wasnt made to run on lower computers. Some games when you turn off detail and lower the resolution a little run completely fine. I'm wondering how they are going to port this game to be honest.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By korwin

260M =/= GTX260, mobile chips never match the performance of their desktop counter parts. That GPU is essentially a re-badged 9800GT (which in turn is a die shrunk 8800GTS), as such you barely scrape in at the minimum system requirements on the GPU front. Additionally your CPU is only marginally quicker than the minimum requirements as well (recommended being a quad core).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @awe_stuck said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@awe_stuck said:

I'm just saying the game as a whole wasnt made to run on lower computers. Some games when you turn off detail and lower the resolution a little run completely fine. I'm wondering how they are going to port this game to be honest.
    It's not a port, it's supposed to be a different edition of the game. There's an article up over at gamespot (or IGN) about it. 

EDIT: Here's the link. They're calling it a different "adaptation" of the game. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172422p1.html
    ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ADAMWD

After uninstalling the 3D vision drivers, it runs perfectly fine on medium settings.

jms493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By jms493
    @ADAMWD said:
    After uninstalling the 3D vision drivers, it runs perfectly fine on medium settings.
    Nice!

I just built a budget Gaming PC 
    GIGABYTE  LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel I5 2500K
    NVidia GTX 560ti  (very slightly Overclocked)
    8 GB Ram
    Corsair 115 SSD (witcher 2 installed)  
    Updated Drivers - no 3D
    Patch 1.2

I run the game on ultra and turned off v-sync, Ubersampling and SSAO.  I might have 1 other thing turned off but not sure.  Games runs mostly @ 40-60 FPS.  It will sometimes dip in the 30's but never under.  The game looks and plays amazing.  I am glad I invested the time and money.  The computer is just lighting fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.