Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Should i import save?

Sucabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sucabub

Hey all, 

I just finished playing through Witcher 1 last night and i was wondering if i should use the import save feature of Witcher 2? I've heard it makes the first chunk of the game a lot easier since i'll be starting with my swords from the first game. I don't really want to make it too easy; no challenge no fun. 

My main question is will it affect the storyline much? Or will there just be vague references to your deeds in the first game? What's the extent of how it changes the storyline, if at all? 

Thanks!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ghostiet

There will be references - if you sided with the Order or the Scoia'tel, some paths and parts will have some bonuses, you'll get a letter from Thaler if he's alive, etc.. It's nothing THAT major, though your decision to fight the King of the Wild Hunt might impact that plot.

In terms of equipment - not really. Raven's Armor is better than your starting jacket, but if you patch the game you will get DLC armor pieces and the Blue Stripe jacket you get will be your main piece up until the half of Chapter One. The swords also aren't amazing, the only significantly powerful imported sword would be the Moonblade, since Aerondight is only slightly more powerful than a regular silver sword and you'll quickly find better steel ones than the Gvalchir or D'yaebl.

So yeah, it's worth it, since the references spice up conversations and the imported gear isn't gamebreaking. DLC armor, on the other hand, can be pretty powerful - the pants will stay on your ass for half the game, for real.

Still, you will get your ass kicked whatever you have as your gear at the beginning. The learning curve reminds me of Gothic I and II, you will have to be very cautious until the end of Chapter I.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yea do it, no reason not to.
    It won't affect the story much, but there are some references.
    The extra items, don't make that huge a difference.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

If you import you get some better weapons and gear.  They are only a small boost over the normal starting weapons in the Witcher 2 I wouldn't worry about it making the game easier.  The Raven armor is good for most of the first act though, then you can replace it with the Kayren Armor late in that act.

Sucabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sucabub

Cool i think i'll import my save then :D thanks

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valrog

You should definitely import. The Raven Armor (assuming you've acquired it) is just so epic. Then again, every armor in The Witcher 2 is amazing.

The story doesn't have that much of an impact, but you will hear of characters from the first game, and apparently even see one (I did not, since I had to cut Siegfried down in the first game). If you import, you will realize what has been affected and what not, and it just adds to the better experience.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

I would. Maybe it will make the very start a bit easier (I imported, which is perhaps why I didn't understand why people were having so much trouble at the start), but I'd just consider that the intro area and use it to get used to the combat. I'm pretty sure the import gear didn't stay particularly overpowered for very long. On normal there are only a handful of tricky fights throughout the game anyway - most of it gets significantly easier as you go along.

I only noticed a couple of decisions carrying over from the first game but they seemed reasonably significant (I played it 4 years ago though, so you may notice more). The impacts of your decisions even within the game can be quite subtle though - it's not always obvious how different things could have been while you're playing. I had no idea how radically different that game could play out until I was reading about it after I'd finished the game; it's impressive stuff.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Klei

You should, unless you're in a situation like me. I imported and I seriously regret it. Somehow, I had 20,000 orens in my pockets right off the bat, which killed all the economy of the game. I had to restart mid-way through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.