Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Franchise »

Fantasy RPG games based on a series of Polish novels.

The Witcher, Books

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eclipsesis

I'm in the middle of the first game at the moment, but i really want to appreciate the source material in its original form. basicly i'm looking for the the english translation of the books, i can only find two and i've read that it has five novels, which i can't find. Does anyone have any idea where i should start? and if the books rae worth the time?   
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Not all of them are out.  Amazon has most of them though, and it's on the Kindle store too.

So if you got an e-reader or iPad, you're good.

I have them, and read 'em up a while back.    

suntone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By suntone

I think for the English versions there are only 2 books out so far, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.  I honestly would start from when they were first written, so start with The Last Wish and then Blood of Elves.  Really the books set up the pre-story of Geralt, at least The Last Wish I haven't started Blood of Elves yet, from before his amnesia.  So it deals with a lot of back story like the relationship with the princess as well as with Dandelion, things of that nature.  So for the overall fiction of the world I would recommend them.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By eclipsesis

@suntone:
    @KaosAngel:

Cheers, i'm deffinately going to get them, i need some dark fantasy at the moment and i think that this will, cure the craving pretty well

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

A third one is apparently releasing soon but they seem to have gone quiet about it..

After how popular the first game was and the fact the second game will be out soon, you'd think the publishers would be jumping all over trying to get these books out, but it seems not.

It's definitely worth reading what's available though.
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

What do you guys think of the first book The Last Wish? I just finished it last night in preparation for playing the games and really enjoyed most of it, several of the stories didn't really grab me like others but overall I really enjoyed it. Probably what I like most about it was the fact that they are short stories so I could read one whole story and stop.

Are the other books worth reading in the future? Won't be getting to them anytime soon.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

What do you guys think of the first book The Last Wish? I just finished it last night in preparation for playing the games and really enjoyed most of it, several of the stories didn't really grab me like others but overall I really enjoyed it. Probably what I like most about it was the fact that they are short stories so I could read one whole story and stop.

Are the other books worth reading in the future? Won't be getting to them anytime soon.

This is a random necro, but I read The Last Wish last summer and loved it. I found the dialogue and the world super engrossing. One of these days I'll pick up the first novel.

I found an English translation of Sword of Destiny and haven't gotten to it yet.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I loved The Lash Wish, but have found the following novels to be less exciting. Still good and worth reading if you're interested, but I feel like the novels just feel a little drawn out. Still very much looking forward to the English translation of Baptism of Fire releasing late June!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.