Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

The Witcher is an Incredible Game

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Really. It is. 
    Really. It is. 
    I have played very few RPGs as a gamer. Most of them being utmost masterpieces, some being driveled messes.  I would consider The Witcher, while wonky in most of it's content, to be one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The reason is because of how the game's presented. The story doesn't drag on like most RPGs. It starts off with a quick intro for each chapter, then grabs you by the heart and squeezes it until your arteries go nuts. Every moment is hinted with dark foreshadowing, only to then express the true answer to the mysteries that are oh-so shown in confusing fashion. The answer is that being plot twists. And they're not just slow, minor twists. They're explosives ones.

If you're smart enough to know how to tell a story, you should, by knowledge, understand that a tale doesn't need twists to be good. And many games have disobeyed that and constantly created "shocking twists" just to make the player intrigued. While the previous paragraph stated that The Witcher is a twisted tale, it's more then just twists. It's the choices that Geralt, the main character, is given. There are no moral choices. There is no good or evil. It's just you, the world, the society, the races, and--if I forgot to mention, mind the joke: YOU. 

The world of The Witcher is surprisingly realistic, following a J.R. Tolkien-like world of dragons, magic, monsters, dwarves, elves, and those bastardy tallywhackers known as the humans. It contains gruesome violence, criminal underworlds, cussing, prostitutes, war, sex, and alcohol--things that you wouldn't expect from a folklore. It's a corrupted, if-not dreadful world of mind-boggling choices, most of them rash or easy.

While the story is presented in an outstanding fashion, it's not the main contribution that makes The Witcher so incredible. And explaining the rest of the game would make me go on-and-on much longer about the game's facets. Just buy it. Try out the demo if you're still  not interested. A game with such low sales and under appreciation is absolutely unacceptable to me. CDProjekt has proven to be a professional development team, and a charitable one at that. They released a free update for the game that completely recreates the character models, script, and animations. All being very wonky and goofy in the original version. If only development teams and their publishers were this generous.

If you have a snuff-enough PC that can run a game such as Half-Life2 and you're an RPG fan, buy the Witcher. Really, that's all I can say. I haven't even beaten the game, and I can already say that it's an epic win. It's very fun, satisfying, and hard to exit the program's screen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really. It is. 
    Really. It is. 
    I have played very few RPGs as a gamer. Most of them being utmost masterpieces, some being driveled messes.  I would consider The Witcher, while wonky in most of it's content, to be one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The reason is because of how the game's presented. The story doesn't drag on like most RPGs. It starts off with a quick intro for each chapter, then grabs you by the heart and squeezes it until your arteries go nuts. Every moment is hinted with dark foreshadowing, only to then express the true answer to the mysteries that are oh-so shown in confusing fashion. The answer is that being plot twists. And they're not just slow, minor twists. They're explosives ones.

If you're smart enough to know how to tell a story, you should, by knowledge, understand that a tale doesn't need twists to be good. And many games have disobeyed that and constantly created "shocking twists" just to make the player intrigued. While the previous paragraph stated that The Witcher is a twisted tale, it's more then just twists. It's the choices that Geralt, the main character, is given. There are no moral choices. There is no good or evil. It's just you, the world, the society, the races, and--if I forgot to mention, mind the joke: YOU. 

The world of The Witcher is surprisingly realistic, following a J.R. Tolkien-like world of dragons, magic, monsters, dwarves, elves, and those bastardy tallywhackers known as the humans. It contains gruesome violence, criminal underworlds, cussing, prostitutes, war, sex, and alcohol--things that you wouldn't expect from a folklore. It's a corrupted, if-not dreadful world of mind-boggling choices, most of them rash or easy.

While the story is presented in an outstanding fashion, it's not the main contribution that makes The Witcher so incredible. And explaining the rest of the game would make me go on-and-on much longer about the game's facets. Just buy it. Try out the demo if you're still  not interested. A game with such low sales and under appreciation is absolutely unacceptable to me. CDProjekt has proven to be a professional development team, and a charitable one at that. They released a free update for the game that completely recreates the character models, script, and animations. All being very wonky and goofy in the original version. If only development teams and their publishers were this generous.

If you have a snuff-enough PC that can run a game such as Half-Life2 and you're an RPG fan, buy the Witcher. Really, that's all I can say. I haven't even beaten the game, and I can already say that it's an epic win. It's very fun, satisfying, and hard to exit the program's screen.
    JaqRabitSlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By JaqRabitSlim

I've been looking at The Witcher since I heard about the enhanced edition. I almost picked it up a month or two ago when Steam had it on sale. I kinda wish I had now.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I had the same problem with the Witcher I often have with many RPG's. I get about 8 hours in and then get bored... I guess RPG's aren't for me. The 8 hours I played were terrific though. :)

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

ooh you just like all the boneing

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Psyx2

I was considering it for a while, and sort of still am, but I'm not sure the storyline is right for me. Not really into all the dark and gritty stuff.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

I have The Witcher but I havent played it yet. Its been sitting on my shelf for a long time. I was going to get rid of it and get the Enanced Edition a couple of times when I seen it on sale and then get into it but never did. At some point I really need to install this game and play it.

JaqRabitSlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JaqRabitSlim

Since you own the original, you can just download the enhanced edition update for free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Psyx2 said:

" I was considering it for a while, and sort of still am, but I'm not sure the storyline is right for me. Not really into all the dark and gritty stuff. "

Don't worry. When you do some sidequests involving some of the major side-characters, there's some smack-thigh humor and some light hearted events. I forgot to mention it, since it calms down the dankness of the world.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn
    @trophyhunter said:
    "ooh you just like all the boneing "

Are you saying theres something wrong with that.
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Coltonio7

You had me until "Epic Win".

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude
    Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Artie

I thought it was boring.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Psyx2
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @Psyx2 said:

" I was considering it for a while, and sort of still am, but I'm not sure the storyline is right for me. Not really into all the dark and gritty stuff. "

Don't worry. When you do some sidequests involving some of the major side-characters, there's some smack-thigh humor and some light hearted events. I forgot to mention it, since it calms down the dankness of the world. "
    I'll have to check it out then; it's only $15 on Newegg now, which sounds like a steal.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By PureRok
    @c1337us said:

" I have The Witcher but I havent played it yet. Its been sitting on my shelf for a long time. I was going to get rid of it and get the Enanced Edition a couple of times when I seen it on sale and then get into it but never did. At some point I really need to install this game and play it. "

I heard that if you own the game already they offer a free upgrade to the enhanced version. At least, that's what I read they'd do before the Enhanced version came out. They said themselves on their website.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us
    @PureRok: Thats pretty cool of them but if I was going to finally play the game at this stage I'd just buy it. Its not too expensive to get a physical copy from the store and probably less hassle and effort involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.