Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

Thinking of this as a gift for someone, have 2 questions (DRM?)

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PercyChuggs

So I am thinking of buying The Witcher: Enhanced Edition off Amazon for my brother. He is a huge PC RPG nerd. I have a couple questions, however. Any answers would be awesome. 

1. What does this game have in terms of DRM? My brother does not have internet access (he just uses his Droid for everything), so the only way he could activate a game that requires online play is to bring his computer over to my place and activate it that way. And obviously, if this game requires always-online, I can forget it. 

2. My brother loves games like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, and stuff like Civ 5 and the Total War games. Would he like The Witcher?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

The game doesn't have any multiplayer. And yes, if you like RPGs, The Witcher is fantastic.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " So I am thinking of buying The Witcher: Enhanced Edition off Amazon for my brother. He is a huge PC RPG nerd. I have a couple questions, however. Any answers would be awesome.  1. What does this game have in terms of DRM? My brother does not have internet access (he just uses his Droid for everything), so the only way he could activate a game that requires online play is to bring his computer over to my place and activate it that way. And obviously, if this game requires always-online, I can forget it.  2. My brother loves games like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, and stuff like Civ 5 and the Total War games. Would he like The Witcher? "
    It doesn't have any DRM i think. Although they ask you to register at developers' website for additional features, like mods, and some freebies. 
    boardwalkernj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By boardwalkernj

It's a very cool game. I like it a lot myself.  It's a little darker in tone then the other CRPGs you mentioned but I think people who liked those would like the Witcher. Also, definitely make sure you are picking up the "Enhanced Edition" to make sure you get the better English translation and voice-overs as well as load time fixes. 

The original version and copies of the game up to version 1.4 (which is the Enhanced Edition's version you're looking at) used TAGES. If you download the patch for version 1.5 it removes the games TAGES disk check completely. So if you download the patch and give it to him on a disk or a USB stick or something it is no longer a concern.  

You can get the patch here (The Witcher's website) ---->  http://tw1.thewitcher.com/article/en/patch  
    Also you may want this patch which you install after the 1.5 update to make it the "Director's Cut" which has some extra content cut from the U.S. version (nothing major). -------> http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Narzedzia_i_dodatki-Patche-The_Witcher_Enhanced_Edition_Directors_Cut/9259 

Hope this helps.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Raven10

I believe the DRM was removed for the Enhanced Edition, but I'm not sure. You don't have to be always online to play. At most you'd have to perform an initial setup of some sort. The Witcher is actually a bit different than Bioware/Black Isle RPG's in that it is an action RPG where you control a single character, over a turn based RPG where you control a party of characters. If he likes the turn based strategic element (which he might if he likes Civ and Total War) then this might not be the game for him. If he enjoys complex, dark stories, and more action oriented gameplay then this would be for him. But I wouldn't say The Witcher is too similar to Bioware/Black Isle games. It has some of the same elements and some unique elements.

boardwalkernj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By boardwalkernj

I should also mention that it was only a disk check not an online activation or anything.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Malakhii

The Witcher takes some getting into. Make sure he sticks through the first few areas, until the game pulls you in. I did not like it at first, but it grew on me completely.  

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ZimboDK

Well, Patch 1.4 was the one that updated the standard game to Enhanced Edition, but still had TAGES (ugh) DRM. Patch 1.5 removed the DRM. Unless the disc has the latest patch, you may want to download the patch just to be sure.
    And yes, I believe he will love the game once he gets past the opening areas. It's pretty amazing.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @ZimboDK said:
    Well, Patch 1.4 was the one that updated the standard game to Enhanced Edition, but still had TAGES (ugh) DRM. Patch 1.5 removed the DRM. Unless the disc has the latest patch, you may want to download the patch just to be sure. And yes, I believe he will love the game once he gets past the opening areas. It's pretty amazing.
    This is what I heard as well.  Anyways, I think you can still pick it up on GoG.com for $4.99 without any DRM.  I had this problem actually after buying the first game where I couldn't play it due to what had to be a DRM issue.  The Witcher now that I bought from GoG runs smooth as silk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.