Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

10 days to release and the price is still unannounced.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man I am insanely hyped about this game, but we're so close to release and the price is still nowhere to be found. The fact that's it digital only (for now) and coming out for iOS leads me to believe it won't be full priced, but the scale of the game makes me feel otherwise. I just hope my 40 Steam wallet dollars are enough for this thing.

You guys have any theories what the price might be?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming it's $35-40, at least at launch.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

Wasn't Jonathon Blow the one who fought to get Braid to be priced at $10 and not the $15 a lot of XBLA games were going up to? I'm gonna guess $20, $30 max but $30 on PSN might be suicide just based on perception even if the game is massive.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Thinking about it, do we often really know how much a PSN game (unless it's up for pre-order) is going to be priced outside of like a week before its release? I guess the fact that it's being released on Steam simultaneously does make it a bit more odd that we don't yet know.

Also, 10 days? Man, that feels almost hard to believe at this point. :P

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Blow said it was like 80 hours long so I think it's going to cost more than Braid by a big margin.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be a regular full retail release price of $60. If it's even half as long as he claims then the price would be well justified, as long as the gameplay remains engaging through at least half of that half.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

After seeing the voice actors attached to it, I'm guessing it'll be at least $30-40 if not full priced retail at $60.

Honestly, if Jonathan Blow can't sell a highly polished 20+ hour game for at least $30, all indie devs might as well close up shop.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

So, $40 on PC and console and $9.99 on iOS?

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By petethepanda

I'd be fascinated to see the reaction if it launched at $40. It's a price point that people are increasingly used to on Steam but I have no idea if it'd be accepted or not on console.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has an iPad release? What the hell?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

10 days? No way! I had no idea it was releasing so soon, I can't wait to see how it is considering we've known about it for so long.

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I've been kind of curious myself. About $40 seems reasonable, but I don't see what's stopping them from putting it out at $60. There seems to be a whole lot of game there.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's being released in 10 days? How, what and when did that sneak up on us.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

So, what I'm gathering from this thread is that price is directly proportional to amount of content. Can't wait for $10 Call of Duty releases.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So, what I'm gathering from this thread is that price is directly proportional to amount of content. Can't wait for $10 Call of Duty releases.

Price is a very personal thing; for some people, yes, price is exactly directly proportional to amount of content. I'm not even willing to spend $5 to go see a movie during matinee because I think even that is too expensive, for example. Different people have different financial situations, monetary sensibilities, and perceptions of value.

Limbo was 2010; I figured we were done with telling other people what they're allowed to be willing to pay back then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

$599.99 MSRP

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is getting delayed.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bill_mcneal

@flasaltine: Wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Also, I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of $40.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

I'm less worried about the final price, but the fact that we've barely seen anything on it. After how insanely good Braid was, I have more confidence in Jonathan Blow than almost any other developer, but it's been almost eight years since Braid came out. I was in 6th grade when that game released, and now I'm in college - I just really hope The Witness is actually coming out in ten days.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BisonHero  Online

What price did The Talos Principle launch at? $30? I expect it to be something like that game, but a little more ambitious.

I guess I'm keeping my expectations pretty low, because I don't really follow how weird dot puzzles on Myst island is going to be as cool as time rewinding puzzles that are a weird commentary on this super obsessive dude who is fixated on his past or something.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316

Hmm, this is the first time I thought about price. I assumed it would be around the $20 mark back when it was announced.

I'll pay more, whatever, but now I'm curious how this will affect sales.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What price did The Talos Principle launch at? $30? I expect it to be something like that game, but a little more ambitious.

I guess I'm keeping my expectations pretty low, because I don't really follow how weird dot puzzles on Myst island is going to be as cool as time rewinding puzzles that are a weird commentary on this super obsessive dude who is fixated on his past or something.

Talos was $40

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

$40 is my guess. But a quality game is a quality game. If it's $60 and worth it then so be it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It sounds like they really cut it close to still working on it vs release date, so maybe they're still trying to figure out how to price it? Maybe they'll be looking at threads like this to get an idea.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Yep, Talos was (and still is) 40. Definitely worth it for me, it's up there with some of the best games I've played.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Honestly 30 would be the max I pay, otherwise I'll just wait for a 50% of sale in a few months.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

@ajamafalous: Yep, Talos was (and still is) 40. Definitely worth it for me, it's up there with some of the best games I've played.

It's probably in my Top 10/15 Ever and was easily my GOTY last year (it came out in mid-December 2014 okay shut up), but I paid $13 for it on sale, and that was a stretch for me at the time. Even if I could somehow go back in time knowing how much I loved it, I probably wouldn't pay anything more than like $18 for it.

I heavily recommend it to anyone who likes puzzle games at all, though; I personally think it's better than Portal 1 or 2.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy said:

It sounds like they really cut it close to still working on it vs release date, so maybe they're still trying to figure out how to price it? Maybe they'll be looking at threads like this to get an idea.

$4.99!

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

$649 and comes with a free Oculus Rift.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of expecting this game to be a disaster. Every interview I've heard where he tries to explain the game doesn't make it sound like it should be 80 hours long.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not directly, not 1:1 for sure, but it would be silly to say it doesn't play a big part. No matter how much praise there is, a large percentage of people will simply not pay $60 for a 2 hr game - doesn't matter how good the story is. We've all been conditioned to a set of standards when it comes to game lengths based on their type. This is exactly why these smaller indie titles like Gone Home or even the newly released Oxenfree are experiencing a push back on the price because historically we don't expect them to be $20. It's silly to think that a whopping $5 makes that much of a difference but on some psychological level it totally does.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Pricing psychology is truly a terrifying thing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Humanity

@beachthunder: Heck yeah it is. When I look at a game on Steam that is $15 I'm probably at least 50% more inclined to buy it than if it's $19.99

Not sure why that is but that $5 makes a huge perception difference to me. Especially when it comes to this new category of narrative driven indie adventure games. I mean I bought Gunpoint really cheap and had a blast with it. I want to play Oxenfree but I know it's going to be a very linear story told from A to B and the $20 is pushing me away. At $10 it would be an instant buy for me and at $15 I'd kind of think about it but at $20 it's a definite no go. A mere $10 is affecting a huge mental sway in my mind.

As you said, it's a terrifying thing.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$40 sounds about right to me. Pricing it at $60 would be sending it out to die.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

$40 gives it plenty of room for 50-75% off sales, too.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

At least 40$ (so 50€, because European pricing is ridiculous) if not full retail.

Probably will still get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.