Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Can we talk about some Witness stuff that is spoilery?

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

like (a small one)

Did y'all find the "Cinema"?

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I did.

Did you find anything to play in it? I did but don't want to spoil it if you haven't.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did too :)

Some old 70's looking BBC thing. Was deep!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone give me a hint about the stupid puzzle with the lone rock in the ocean. I'm losing my mind, and my OCD won't let me move on until I figure it out, but I can't even see anything to figure out.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparkysanxion: Yep, that's what I found. And it is actually from the late 70's

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: If you are on the one I think you are, try looking around, don't focus too much on that lone rock.

Tozoneg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tozoneg

@hunkulese:This will ruin the surprise so dont look at it unless you really have to know: Perspective

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really stuck on one of the puzzles in the greenhouse

I did the first one in the room with the green glass (where you look though to change the colours). Have done the same for the 2nd one in there, but for the life of me can't figure out the path. :(

Feels like I am just banging my head against that one.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparkysanxion: There's something other than the green window you can look through

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shindig

This island is supposed to be uninhabited. Who the fuck ate that apple?

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hungledink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hungledink

Anyone let me know if I'm missing something, or if its one of those bits in games where you cant go on until you do some other stuff first.

Stuck in the lift in the greenhouse, get up to the 4th floor, solve the puzzle but the cables broke and cant see any way to mend it. Not after a solution but something to point me in the right direction.

victorrypl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hungledink: Think about how elevators work, and where you're trying to get to. Does the broken cable make a difference? (sorry if too vague)

I'm stuck on the very next puzzle, would love a hint for it!

hungledink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorrypl: so I didnt solve the puzzle and the lift moved up. What did I miss?

victorrypl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By victorrypl

@hungledink: Each color is it's own floor, you don't have to go through it linearly. You can go from the first to the fifth floor using the same "solution", so that broken cable doesn't really matter. I'm stuck trying to get to the last floor.

Edit: Just got it, I was really overthinking it.

hungledink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hungledink

@victorrypl: Did that one you were stuck on first go,

The one I was stuck on got it more by luck than judgment. Hope I dont end up completing a lot of the game that way.

Think I'll keep this forum on standby just in case.

Triphos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm doing the puzzles in the, uh, sun temple thing?

They're fun. I like the use of glare, they're the first real perspective puzzles I've done outside of the orchard.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Someone tell me the coolest thing that has happened in the game. Spoil me. Sell me on it. Convince me to pay money for a huge series of maze puzzles.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: I like puzzles, but the puzzles looked pretty one note from the Quick Look.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunkulese

@viciousbearmauling: They're not. It's like saying all puzzles you solve with a pen and paper are one note.

EricFine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EricFine

I'm in a jungle and stuck. Can someone help me with the last bird song puzzle?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I kinda just had my first big surprise and I'm barely like 50 puzzles in so spoilers for those that don't want to know what I saw. I unlocked what appeared to be a tough puzzle, I saw a thing, I remembered seeing something similar somewhere else and then...

I ended up watching a clip from a BBC video.

I had no idea that kind of thing was going to be in the game.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume everyone looked down at the very beginning of the game, the most obvious of the island is one big puzzle panel parts. After an hour and a half I'm at 214 +13, I feel a little let down by how people were making this game out to be more clever than Braid/Fez, when it doesn't even hit the notes that Myst and Riven did for me...

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: As I said in the other thread, there's not really much happening in the game. Other than the obvious "oh, that's how I solve this puzzle" moments there's some science/religion babble FMV/audio clips. I'm about halfway through all the puzzles at this point (and have unlocked the last area), and there's not really much more to the game than being a puzzle game. If you want to know more about the puzzle though, there's a good variety. And it plays on several different strings like perspective, timing, memory etc.

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

@ares42: Not to mention that the maze format is really only your interface in interacting with these rules and environmental clues. I'd say there's definitely more to it than being a maze puzzle game (which is what the common conception seems to be among people who haven't played the game).

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@subliminalkitteh: Maybe you are to smart. ;)

I myself feel that most of the "puzzles" are just pixelhunting for some weird angel to look at it or something arbitrary like that. I enjoy the puzzles as relaxing iq tests but stuff like figuring out after 5min "ohh this one you can stand behind" and then the actual puzzle is super easy just turns me off. I dont enjoy coming to a puzzle and then having to check every possible angle before i start solving it. It doesnt make me feel smart to discover or exclude a thing like that, just waste of time.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to talk about some post-game stuff. Beat the game earlier today with 437 +29, and while I still find plenty of +s around since I discovered what they were sorta late I'm more interested in trying to find what panels I'm missing. I don't have video clip 4 and 5 so I'm sure there must be some hidden areas I haven't found. So far my exploration has lead me to a few doors that open from the other side, most notably the tunnel between the desert temple and the windmill. I also found twodoors close to the foot of the mountain.

Has anyone been inside these areas ? or found the clips I'm missing ?

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's some deep thinking in that there cinema.

solorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By solorex

@ares42: As I'm sure you have discovered by now those doors all connect to one big area.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

re: The Cinema.

How many FMVs have you found?

I've got 3 (I guess the most obvious 3) - The BBC doc, the self help lady, and the long lecture/Richard Feynman one They all seemed pretty obvious to find whilst wandering around and getting to those locked boxes.

I guess I could try to brute force some more, but anyone find any different ones?

RainbowWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparkysanxion: Late, late in the game, if you solve the challenge with In the Hall of the Mountain King playing you get the audio to a GDC presentation that is, I believe, about 40 minutes long but also a very good listen.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By oraknabo
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By RonGalaxy

I've gotten all the cinema codes. My favorites were the one of the blonde lady, and the candle scene from nostalgia (which I need to watch). Least favorite one was the one guy droning on for half an hour about metaphysical nonsense. Could not bring myself to watch all of that one.

Does anyone know the name of the blonde lady? I'd like to read about her, because what she said kind of spoke to me on a personal level.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sparkysanxion

@oraknabo: I got that last night too. Had no idea what it was, and had to look up Tarkovsky and what it was. (Turns out I had already seen one of his films, a long time ago, Solaris....a super weird sci-fi thing that I ...think...I enjoyed)

So, back to being SUPER spoilery.(don't read unless you have got to the endgame)

I finally got into the mountain (opening that last latch almost killed me, seems like you had to be pixel perfect) and I got through to the glass elevator. Man.. I hated the orange/blue bridge puzzle...also, the colour cycling panels can go f'ck off! Bearing in mind, I only had 10 lazers lit....the ending was super meh!

SO I decided to go back and get that town lazer lit, so now I have all 11, and now I'm in the underground cave, and there are like 40 or 50 more puzzles to do, and my brain is broken.....but must....do...puzzles.....

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something blew my mind last night too.

I had often looked at the half circle on the right hand side of the cinema window, and wondered, what it links up to to make a whole circle and start a puzzle. And by chance, just messing around with the cinema, I spotted it, and it was awesome! And at the same time, in the same place, the green door surround synced up to something, and that was double nice.

The amount of design/planning work that must have gone into this game to make it work like it does.....I just can't fathom it.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparkysanxion: Tarkovsky's also the guy who made the movie STALKER is based on (well, both are based on the same book, but the movie was clearly a big influence). Try the rose window at the very end of the movie clip.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.