Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Dan Ryckert's significant other confirming my fears (no spoilers)

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By caleums

This was lightly discussed on the Bombcast, but looks like I have double confirmation now.

No Caption Provided

At the end of the day, even though I haven't finished the game yet I can absolutely see how the "journey along the way" really is the sweetest and most satisfying part of the whole process. Which would be very apt for a Jonathan Blow game, as he tends to try to embed interpretive themes inside the actual gameplay itself and the story and setting elements either act as a red herring or simply add layers to the possible interpretations of the narrative.

Without a doubt The Witness has provided more genuinely exhilarating moments of epiphany and discovery than any game I can think of, and on a consistent basis, as well. So even if the ending is just the screen literally going to black and credits, I still would probably feel fantastic about the gaming experience as a whole.

Did I mention I fucking love this game??

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pyrodactyl

@caleums: I'm not sure they got the ending because the ending is actually pretty dumb in a WTF sort of way.

CivilizedWorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By CivilizedWorm

The "ending" literally made me hate this game. One of the most infuriating things in a game I've ever experienced. It makes you feel as if everything you did was for nothing.

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The ending was hot garbage and kind of offended me.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow. I thought the consensus was that it was disappointing, not infuriating. I guess I'll report back once I see it to share the hate.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mellotronrules

i mean- were you really expecting something earth-shattering? all coverage i've seen of this game repeatedly says there really isn't any cohesive narrative or connective tissue of any kind.

i have trouble thinking of any game ending that serves as a satisfactory pay off, aside from red dead.

CivilizedWorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mellotronrules: I was expecting at least something. Not nothing being explained, the puzzles resetting, and the game just going back to the main menu.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By caleums

@mellotronrules: Well I found the ending gameplay sequence in Braid to be pretty awesome in terms of an 11th hour revelation. So I guess in that regard I was assuming (and I am using that word loosely) that Witness had something at the end that added at least added a "wrinkle" to the vague understanding of what is happening or why I am present on the island. Not a Hollywood-type ending, no, but at least some form of minimal substance.

I agree that many games don't go out of their way to provide any catharsis or payoff at the end, but there are definitely a good number of games (Red Dead included) that do. Super Metroid and Final Fantasy VI come to mind immediately.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

So The Witness is about finding and nurturing the intrinsic rewards of solving very difficult problems, which will allow you to cast off the shackles of extrinsic reward systems and ultimately live a more fulfilling life less dependent on ephemeral praise from your electronic entertainment.

...And you guys are seeing an ending where everything is reset and you're left with just the knowledge you've gathered that nobody can take away from you and hey that was all that ever mattered at all really and not finding it thematically satisfying?

I just don't know that I can relate. I loved it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I actually think the secret ending and bonus/challenge area did a really good job of re-framing the 'normal' ending as well as the audio logs. To each their own, I guess. I don't know why it seems like so many people (not only in this thread) were expecting a narrative ending from a game that, up to that point, gave you no narrative whatsoever, though.

caleums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By caleums

@bvilleneuve: Yes, this feels spot-on to me. And also something communicated through the actual game itself instead of just cut-scenes or any "story" moments.

By the way I still haven't found a single audio log. I feel like I'm missing a lot of parts of this game even though I've already solved like 7 areas. Crazy.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Loved the game. The ending was fine and didn't seem out of place with the rest of the games presentation. Didn't go in wanting anything mind blowing from a thematic standpoint. I came for the puzzles and a beautiful world to explore, and it did not disappoint. Also, if you didn't know, the VO at the end is a quote from the diamond sutra.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/theprajnaparamitasutra/a/A-Bubble-In-A-Stream.htm

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I really want to know what the ending is now! Shouldn't be too long until I find out. I have done 7 areas and I'm about to enter the final area.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.