Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Need some help understanding a certain rule (PROBABLY SPOILERS)

SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So I'm banging my way through the Witness and loving it for the most part. There are a few things that I have found a bit frustrating (but that's probably due to my lack of understanding the rules fully) but overall I'm really enjoying it. There is 1 rule set though that I can't seem to fully grasp... Those damn Tetris pieces! I understand what they want me to do (outline the shape) but what I don't understand is what dictates when you can flip/rotate the shapes to get them to fit in your outline. Every time I think I have it figured out, I come across the next Tetris piece and the rules seem to have changed. Am I the only one seeing this inconsistency? Can someone please explain to me the rules I am suppose to follow here? I know the crooked ones mean you can rotate them, but other then that I'm not sure when you have to leave them as is and when you can flip them etc.

Thanks for the help!!

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This may help:

• Pieces can be in any order when multiple are placed within the same outline (but this doesn't mean that they have to all be placed within one box, individual outlines still work)
    • Can be rotated if and only if the shape on the board is tilted
    SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dbrim: so the game differentiates between rotated and flipped then? Because I've seen non tilted pieces where the solution was like a mirror image of how its displayed in the puzzle. That's what I'm calling "flipped". But if you want to actually rotate it 90 or 180 degrees it was to be tilted?

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@slantedroom: Yes. Tilted pieces can be rotated but not flipped. The location of the symbol on the board is not necessarily indicative of where the shape needs to be drawn but the symbol needs to not be separated from the drawn shape.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.