Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

What is the most you'd feel comfortable paying for The Witness?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Edited By BeachThunder

Poll What is the most you'd feel comfortable paying for The Witness? (616 votes)

$0 (I'm not interested in the game / I'd only play it if I got it for free) 8%
    $5 1%
    $10 2%
    $15 8%
    $20 20%
    $25 6%
    $30 19%
    $40 19%
    $50 2%
    $60 11%
    *Other* 3%

Kind of an extension of this thread. People are throwing around a lot of guesses as to what they think the price might be, but I'm interested to see what people are actually willing to fork out for the game.

BTW, consider the poll options to be in USD and for the PC/PS4 versions of the game (as oppose to the iPad version).

• 
    VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The price will probably be around 30 but I'd be willing to shell out 50 or so since it supposedly pretty darn long.

cLoudForest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hesitated between the $30 and $40 options because I'd probably pay an amount within that range before finally going with $30, although realistically I think that it's more likely to be $40+ here in the UK at least.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

40 bucks. But If it'll be 60, I'll pay that too. It's just that I think 40 is the sweet spot.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on what I know about it? I would shell out 40$ easily. If I get the same amount of content, potentially story, and etc that I got from the only other recent game I can think to compare it too, The Talos Principle.. well after beating and finishing that game I'd put 40$ as the right price to charge for such. (Mind I don't remember what they charged for it originally)

That said it really will depend on the length and depth of the gameplay/puzzles and etc. If it turns out to essentially be the same puzzle over and over. 1001 crossword puzzles! style..then no, more like 20-30. But again, the Talos Principle had much the same elements but with lots and lots of variation mixed with exploration, secrets and a driving narrative that tied it all together. (can you tell I kinda liked that game).

That said. Um..its gonna be 60$ straight up. And if your looking at 30+ hours of gameplay, then I actually think that's worth it. I'm expecting more like 15ish hours, however, and so yah. 40$ it is.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I wish it was lower, but I would pay $40 for it. Any higher and it would make me say, "Well, XCOM 2 is also $60, so...."

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

He's claiming something like 70 hours of playtime, I think? I'd be comfortable paying $60 for that. I'm expecting it to be $30 though.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found Braid super dull and bounced right off it. As an outsider to it, I'm pretty bemused that this guy who had one game 8 years ago is getting so much attention for a game that he's told us all so little about. I get the importance of what Braid did at the time but I didn't think it was a very good or enjoyable game and the guy hasn't done anything to make me think this will be any better.

So for me right now I would pay $0.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would normally say "Can't really say without knowing the scope" but I'll probably go ahead and say $60. It looks to be the kind of puzzle/adventure thing I can really sink my teeth into and pretty much every aspect of the production seems fantastic. I do think $60 would be a price point the majority of people would likely reject, though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing with a $60 price is that I think people only accept that price when they understand that it's that high to compensate for employing a big-ass dev team, expensive promotional and marketing costs, and having to deal with all the shipping and overhead costs of retailers. The Witness has none of those costs, so it seems insane that it would ever be $60. $40 seems like the reasonable upper limit given the limited size of the dev team.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now i would say between €20 and €30. But I know nothing about the game right now, so its impossible for me to estimate how much i would pay for it. I think this question/ poll only becomes relevant or somewhat useful if we have seen a quicklook or a review. But it could very well be there is already way more information about this game than i am aware off. Personally 'the how much would I pay' question is the last stage in my purchasing decision not the first. I could very well dislike what I see of it and then i wont even have to answer that question.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how we can put a price on a game we know next to nothing about content-wise.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

With Street Fight around the corner, I can't see myself paying more than $30 for it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Amazon UK has it listed for £49.99. So, be prepared to pay more. Maybe even $60?!

Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-The-Witness-PS4/dp/B00BF6D62C (I can't make it a link as I'm on my phone).

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Since I'm poor at the moment, I'm hoping that the game costs between $20-30. If it's more expensive I'll have to wait.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd pay full price, but that is because it's the game I am the most excited about this year and I tend to prefer those kind of games over AAA.

I understand how some would be against paying full price for a game made from a smaller team, but I don't personally mind and I think the long development time might justify the price.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like $60 is totally fair, but I know next to nothing about it and a super dense puzzle game just isn't something I have time for right now. That said, I'd probably check it out at $40, if not just to be part of the discussion.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's actually a 30+ hour puzzle game, I don't see what's wrong with a $60 price point. Graphics look nice, so the question is how much story and puzzling cleverness it actually has.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bill_mcneal

It seems that it's coming to Xbox One now too, that's kind of a surprise.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-and-pcs-the-witness-rated-for-xbox-one/1100-6433916/

[Edit] hunh, how do you do linking on mobile...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bill_mcneal: I don't think it was much of a secret that it was a timed exclusive on PS4.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still working through 2015 games.

I'm interested and might buy Xcom 2, unraveled, Firewatch and Far Cry Primal. The sound of an 70 plus hour game sounds unappealing to me. Maybe, something I pick up on a Steam sale to poke around at. Game has a poor release window.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Dussck

Same price as a AAA release, I really want to play this one and support Jon Blow so that I can play his next game in about 10 years time

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I don't see any problem with it being a $60 game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like it will be worth the price of entry, but I would ideally want to (johnathan) blow through a bit of my backlog before considering it. Also im crappy at puzzle games, though I did pick up the talos principle on the last steam sale so maybe I'll play that first.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

I don't see any problem with it being a $60 game.

truth. i really enjoyed braid, and unless this ends up being the largest rope-a-dope in gaming history- all signs point to this being a highly personal, auteur-style game that has been exacting in its development.

no idea if that will be a fun or fulfilling experience for me- but i'm willing to pay full price for a work with an established creator that has clearly poured themselves into the thing. i pay full price for music, movies, books- this is no different (for me).

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nothing about a 40 hour puzzle game sounds interesting to me, so $0.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Talos Principal showed me just how much I can enjoy a good, meaty 3D puzzle game, especially if it has an interesting narrative. On top of that I really liked Braid, so $60 seems reasonable if it really is 40+ hours long (and good, but that should go without saying).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I'd pay $60, np

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

My guess is it launches at $40, like The Talos Principle did.

I still don't know if I'm interested in playing it. So little is known about the puzzle structure outside of those weird sliding puzzles from some of the early trailers.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

30 sounds right but, I think if it was regular retail price I'd still buy it. I mean it's been in development for years it has to be great right....right...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't put a price on it at this stage, all i know is that it's a video game that has 1. graphics and 2. boring looking puzzles, if there is a lot more to the game then i'll think higher of it but right now it doesn't seem worth playing.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cmblasko

From all I've heard about the game I don't see why it wouldn't be priced at $60.

5 year development, professional voice acting, top level graphics, apparently 80+ hours of content.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I'm not going to pay more than 30 dollars for any game. I'm just not that into games anymore.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No more than 30 honestly. I would just wait for a sale in a few months if it is more.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By newmoneytrash
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$20, $30 max

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If any game is worth $60 it's this one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'll pay whatever but would expect around $40. For whatever reason, this game falls in the same category as No Man's Sky for me. Big-indie. The sort of game Lorne Lanning was talking about when pricing New 'N Tasty.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Braid didn't click with me, I played through it but never really enjoyed it. Everything I've seen of the Witness (which is scant little admittedly) has not interested me at all. So I would maybe get this as a free PSN+ download. I won't pay for it.

However, if the game is as long as it is meant to be, I'd imagine the $40 range is fair enough. I don't know how well it will sell to the wider market though.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Why is it okay for Until Dawn to be $60 but not The Witness.

I'm not saying Until Dawn should have been less or that there isn't a lot of people who would have bought Until Dawn had it been cheaper.

But it didn't seem strange that it was a $60 game. There wasn't this much debate about the price.

By all accounts The Witness is a much larger game in scope than not only Until Dawn but MOST games.

Why is it being ghettoized as "indie". What does that even mean?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing it will be between $30-$40, with how long I've heard it being. As for comfort, I'm not terribly comfortable paying $60 for most games, and $30 is kind of a lot for me.

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yurimegumi

You would have to pay me to play anything jon blow breathes near tbh

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Braid remains my favourite game of all time, so I'd gladly pay $60 for The Witness, as a thank you if nothing else.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45  Edited By GERALTITUDE

$30-40 is what I'm expecting.

@drbroel said:

Why is it okay for Until Dawn to be $60 but not The Witness.

I'm not saying Until Dawn should have been less or that there isn't a lot of people who would have bought Until Dawn had it been cheaper.

But it didn't seem strange that it was a $60 game. There wasn't this much debate about the price.

By all accounts The Witness is a much larger game in scope than not only Until Dawn but MOST games.

Why is it being ghettoized as "indie". What does that even mean?

This isn't my argument but the general response to this is that Until Dawn seems to have way more production (GRAPHIX) than the Witness. People are pretty simple creatures and all we've seen of The Witness are cartoony rocks and trees. Oh and puzzles. Like those take time to make! ( :P ) You know what takes time? (said the internet) modelling faces. And Until Dawn has hell of modelled faces. I think to GEN POP Until Dawn looks way closer to AAA than the Witness does.

That's my guess anyways!

tackystuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there an option for "I have no idea what I'd be buying yet"?

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

What do I think it'll cost? $40.

What is the most I'd pay for this game? This game, which has me more excited than I have been for a video game in years, which is the follow-up to Braid, one of my favorite games ever? Probably upwards of $100.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bvilleneuve: I'm in the same boat, don't care about the price I just want it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's so little coming out right now. I voted 40 but I would probably pay 60. I'm starving for good video games. I'm considering buying a goddamn $1000 PC mainly to play Xcom. Goddamn AAA publishers and their garbage release calendars

brads_beard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By brads_beard

i'll wait until its under $10 on steam or gog like everything else i buy, but theoretically if they didn't exist i'll say 30?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.