Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Anyone else regretting their purchase?

• 85 results
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

yes, got it last week. havent even played it once. just watching my little brother play (maybe an hour or two) and im already bored of the game. no joke

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By FajitaBoss

@cbk486 said:

Yeah, it's actually hard to find full matches even with the expansion. Dead game.

PC or Xbox One? I get full matches all the time every MM list (xbox one). I get Attrition matches NP on PC.

I still like the game, is not a "revolution" but certainly the most fun FPS multiplayer this year so far for me.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Not disappointed, really. I feel like I got my money's worth. Titanfall strikes me as a game with some really cool concepts, but that needs expansion on those concepts and some additional features to really come into its own as a prominent franchise. It's a bit like the first Assassins Creed in that way. I enjoyed the movement and the Titans immensely, and damn does that shotgun feel good. I'm hoping Respawn does a Titanfall 2 and improves on the initial formula.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@wewantsthering said:

I had fun with the Titanfall beta, but an all MP game just isn't for me anymore. That's why Destiny is a better proposition for me. I can play a few MP rounds and get my fill, but I will have the solo/coop missions to fill the void.

Have you tried the Destiny beta? Watched a friend play through it and he cancelled his preorder. Seems like they want you to do the same stuff over and over again...

Yeah I played the beta and enjoyed it. Your friend made two mistakes. Pre-ordering is almost always a bad idea. Also making final judgments based on a beta is not a good idea. The beta wet my appetite enough for me to be interested in the reviews when they hit. I will make a judgement on whether to purchase at that point. :-)

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't regret getting this game but I definitely haven't been playing it either, so its kinda a "meh" purchase for me, unless my brother picks it up along with an xbox .

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By KaneRobot

Zero problem finding games on Xbone. Don't "regret " it at all and still enjoy it. Until Halo MCC shows up I feel like it'll be the only current gen shooter worth my time, since Destiny didn't do much for me.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Between the beta and that free weekend they did a while back I've played all the Titanfall I ever care to. I enjoyed my time with it, but have no desire to play any more. Glad I didn't buy it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MikkaQ

It's still easy to find a match on Xbox One it seems, but I'm a bit bored of the game. I don't regret the purchase though, I bought it at launch and had a lot of fun with it. The expansion was a bit of a waste, I barely played it and there were only three maps.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it off of origin a bit ago and returned it that day. It may be the most boring fps I have ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't regret my purchase, but I don't play anymore. Downside to the new n shiny I guess.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@pie said:

@asurastrike said:

@cornbredx said:

You should've known better.

It's a multiplayer only game that's been out for over a year.

There's no one to blame, but yourself.

It's been out like 4 months. It released on March 11, 2014.

It was a fun game. Don't regret it.

Fair enough. 5 months.

Doesn't really help your case though if the guy is saying no one is playing certain modes- indicating there's a small user base that only plays on the newest maps. Whether it's 5 months or a year.

It's a problem with multiplayer in general, but it seems to me it's more magnified when it's a multiplayer only game. Or rather I suppose I should say competitive multiplayer only.

I'm not saying people who like those games shouldn't like them, but know what you're getting into.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying playing it with a friend as long as we stick to attrition. The few times we strayed to different match types, especially the one where it rotates through match types, we seemed to get thrown into games against highly coordinated, really good teams, and it just was the worst.

Avatar image for supergiantgoron
    SuperGiantGoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SuperGiantGoron

kferofekofkekfekfefef

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't regret buying it at all. Also I have no problems finding a game on PC I only play hardpoint and team death match so the other modes might be dead, can't really say either way.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@asurastrike said:

@cornbredx said:

It's a multiplayer only game that's been out for over a year.

There's no one to blame, but yourself.

It's been out like 4 months. It released on March 11, 2014.

It was a fun game. Don't regret it.

Fair enough. 5 months.

Doesn't really help your case though if the guy is saying no one is playing certain modes- indicating there's a small user base that only plays on the newest maps. Whether it's 5 months or a year.

It's a problem with multiplayer in general, but it seems to me it's more magnified when it's a multiplayer only game. Or rather I suppose I should say competitive multiplayer only.

I'm not saying people who like those games shouldn't like them, but know what you're getting into.

I've never even played Titanfall. My favorite parts of COD games were the single player, so a multiplayer only game from the makers of COD was a big "no thanks."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bought it at release mind you. But I had quite a few hours of good fun. If I can tell that it's a well made game, I tend to regret it a whole lot less and damn if Titanfall isn't well made.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flavbot said:

Nah I feel I had my money worth of playtime. But it sure wasn't the long lasting multiplayer relationship I was expecting/prepared for.

I think that's about right. I find a lot of gamer's logic is a single-player game can last eight hours and be amazing, but a multiplayer game has to keep you invested for months. I had about two solid months of fun with Titanfall, that's pretty good to me. I mean I had two solid years of fun with Battlefield 3, but I don't expect that from every game.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I really enjoy the game.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I played a ton of Titanfall after it's release, but new games came out, the joys of summer and so on. Don't regret my purchase at all and I'm even thinking about picking up some of the DLC and jumping back in.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I couldn't even get the PC version to connect to their servers during the 48-hours free trial on Origin, so I guess they helped me dodge a bullet there.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave it a few hours when it released and enjoyed my time but soon lost the itch to keep going back.

But recently with new DLC coming out I've dipped back in and been more fun with it than before.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

I played it on day one and have never played it again since.

Hitzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I had a lot more fun with Titanfall than most people did. Played it for a few months after release with a few buddies, just going into matchmaking and having fun.

It seems that a lot of people didn't like Titanfall because it lacked things to unlock. I personally hate having to unlock things in a multiplayer game and only really care about gameplay (I do not play Cal of Duty because of this), and Titanfall had some really fun gameplay mechanics that kept me coming back for a good amount of time. I also unlocked everything super fast and never Regenerated/Prestiged.

That being said, when I stopped playing Titanfall I never really went back. If I had to pinpoint why, it's the nature of it requiring ADS and inaccurate spray weapons. Mechanics like that are really gross and I can only put up with them for so long before I go back to a better game.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah in a way the whole COD comparison is somewhat true but the way the matches and games are paced are very different in my mind having played both (and COD for an extended amount of time before I tapered off around after MW2 and came back to play on and off after that, the last game I tried being Ghosts). The ADS-then-shooting feels like COD but everything else feels a bit different. I don't know how to describe it other than that I can't play both games the same way. Hehe!

mrtaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just watchdogs -_-

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By UlquioKani

I've put 350 hours into it and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. This is the most balanced shooter I have ever played. The parkour and Titan mechanics have a crazy amount of depth that isn't immediately apparent.

For example, when you first start the game, you'll try to run everywhere, only really wall running to get to high places. The game rewards wall running more frequently by making you faster during them. This means that you can run the flag in CTF in under 30 seconds easily whereas it would take you a lot longer sprinting.

People complain about the lack of weapons compared to other games but every weapon in this game is good and the regen system forces you to try every one. In COD games, I found a few weapons I liked and stuck with them in every prestige. The weapons in Titanfall encourage different playstyles that I use them all.

I have to give respawn credit for supporting the game past it's launch by adding things like Titan burn cards, the black market, new game modes and further balance. It's kept the game fresh for me.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy this game and wish it was a bit more popular. I actually bought a copy of the Xbox One version after I had such a hard time finding matches on PC after the DLC came out and I'd gone back to check it out. Unfortunately I wasn't having much better luck on XBONE. It seems very dependent on what time of day it is when I play.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I preordered that game. Jump back in every now and then. Every time I play I get a game right away. Might just be time of day.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@gaspower said:

To be fair, I'm actually not disappointed in Respawn. They took a risk with the model they went with being MP focused. Titanfall is a great game but its one of those games that suffers because it didn't have long legs and there are a lot of factors contributing to that especially on PC wherein their competition pretty much comes from ALL types of games not just MP shooters (e.g. WoT, DayZ, CS:GO, BF4, Dota, LOL, etc.) though ultimately it may have been because people just quickly moved on to other games, which is always the case for every single game that comes out and the examples I pointed are few of the rare exceptions.

I really hope that they can really step it up for the inevitable sequel.

This I agree with there were a number of mistakes on the developers part but also on teh business deal EA brokered. I think teh game should have had a more robust single player story, even if foreshortened single player with a tight story would have been nice. Second, I really think EA screwed up allowing Microsoft to broker a deal for exclusivity. Oh, maybe EA got enough money, or enough to compensate for sales, but what they did was make what should have been a HUGE splashy new game for everyone into a smaller less important game to teh whole industry. EA needed everyone to be playing Titanfall, and they needed everyone exited for Titanfall all at the same time. EA needed to launch this game like an event. They couldn't know that PS4 was going to be a 'the system' to have, but since it was the game got knocked back a rung in importance. EA might have made its money, but they set their property back a rung that it cannot make back any time soon.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it around launch and have no regrets. I enjoyed my time and think it is a damn fine game. One I rarely yelled at unlike COD. The real shame is not being able to find matches now because I still enjoy playing it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

To be fair, I'm actually not disappointed in Respawn. They took a risk with the model they went with being MP focused. Titanfall is a great game but its one of those games that suffers because it didn't have long legs and there are a lot of factors contributing to that especially on PC wherein their competition pretty much comes from ALL types of games not just MP shooters (e.g. WoT, DayZ, CS:GO, BF4, Dota, LOL, etc.) though ultimately it may have been because people just quickly moved on to other games, which is always the case for every single game that comes out and the examples I pointed are few of the rare exceptions.

I really hope that they can really step it up for the inevitable sequel.

This I agree with there were a number of mistakes on the developers part but also on teh business deal EA brokered. I think teh game should have had a more robust single player story, even if foreshortened single player with a tight story would have been nice. Second, I really think EA screwed up allowing Microsoft to broker a deal for exclusivity. Oh, maybe EA got enough money, or enough to compensate for sales, but what they did was make what should have been a HUGE splashy new game for everyone into a smaller less important game to teh whole industry. EA needed everyone to be playing Titanfall, and they needed everyone exited for Titanfall all at the same time. EA needed to launch this game like an event. They couldn't know that PS4 was going to be a 'the system' to have, but since it was the game got knocked back a rung in importance. EA might have made its money, but they set their property back a rung that it cannot make back any time soon.

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with the MS exclusivity deal if we're to talk about potential sales being hampered but the positive side to that is that they are also using Microsoft's Azure servers on the PC version as well (not just in the Xbox One and X360 versions) and not the servers that EA rents out from whatever third party they are using for their other games (e.g. Battlefield 4). If anything, matches in the PC version of Titanfall have almost always been very stable. At the same time, I don't think the exclusivity deal with MS was a bad deal if we're not to include potential sales since for the most part, the game has never had big server-side problems since its launch and this was probably the ONLY EA published game wherein they had a relatively stable online launch in quite awhile dating back to SimCity.

If anything, the game might not have sold well enough but at least for a first game they were able to make a positive impression even though it didn't have the legs of some of the other shooter franchises. I for one am glad that Respawn just focused on one thing and be able to execute it very well mechanically since if they do ever want to make a more ambitious campaign in the next game, they wouldn't really have to worry too much about the MP aspect since they've got that nailed down.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Nethlem
    @matatat said:

I really enjoy this game and wish it was a bit more popular. I actually bought a copy of the Xbox One version after I had such a hard time finding matches on PC after the DLC came out and I'd gone back to check it out. Unfortunately I wasn't having much better luck on XBONE. It seems very dependent on what time of day it is when I play.

They changed a lot about how the matchmaking works after the first DLC got released.
    Prior to that i also had trouble getting into matches on PC, even getting a vanilla Attrition round could take up to 15 minutes, sometimes during night no rounds would be going at all and getting into the DLC maps (by selecting modes on them) took even longer, sometimes it even had been impossible and you could only play vanilla maps due to a lack of players on the DLC maps.

But since they changed how matchmaking works, it's gotten way better. Now it's matching between regions and expanding the search radius faster, it's also breaking up stacked teams and joining an the vanilla Attrition playlist will still match you into rounds/groups with access to the DLC maps.

Never had to wait longer than a minute to get into a round since then and i actually get to play some of the DLC maps from time to time.
    It's what i actually like about this game: Respawn still cares about the problems of the game and is doing a great job fixing them.
    The last update falls into the same vain, logged in and had been kind of surprised to see a "blackmarket".

Of course i expected the worst, some kind of real money hook in there, but no real money involved at all. It's basically a system so maxed out players can keep on farming for rare burn cards, neat! Sure they can still add in some real-money transactions into that system, but merely tiering it's release like that wins already a ton of "goodwill" points from me for Respawn.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By matatat

@nethlem: That's nice to hear they fixed that stuff because I was having the exact issues you just described.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It saddens me on how this game fell off the radar for so many people. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you don't like it, you don't like it and that's fine. However for me I still fucking love this game. It's so frantic and engaging for me. I really though feel that if this game had come out on both xbox and PS4 it would have stayed in the spot light longer. It's by no means a dead game. I never have a problem finding people to play with at any time of the day or week. It does have a vary strong cult following. My gut tells me though that titanfall 2 will do a lot better and gain more of a crowd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.