Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

The sixth installment of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series and follows the events after Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Playing this on the 360 is a terrible experience for me.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I gave up on console gaming last year, except for console exclusives. Why? Most games nowadays are barely able to get a constant 30 FPS and have pretty long loading times. Anyways, for some reason, I decided to give this game a go on my 360, and purchased the 360 version. Good Lord, what a mistake. It's constantly stuttering and barely run at 25FPS ( which also delays control input ) the textures are flat and there's insane aliasing.

I bought a steam copy earlier today, with the intention of giving away my 360 version. Holy shit the difference is insane. Solid 60 frames/ per second, crisp textures and instantaneous loading. Those of you who play third party titles on your 360, I don't know how you manage it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

They're used to it. When you're used to 25 frames per second, you don't know what you're missing.

Some people also claim to not see the difference. I don't believe them. One is a slideshow, the other is a smoothly-moving display of pleasant eye-candy. I mean, 60 frames per second is the coldest, freshest Root Beer for your eyes, while 25 is pretty much just warm Coke. Still do-able, but it sure as hell isn't a pleasant experience.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I manage because I haven't had to buy any new hardware in years.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Im not sure what you're trying to do with this post. I don't think there's much value at this point in the console cycle in telling people what they're missing out on by playing on the current consoles. I'd imagine most people know all that by now and have made their minds up one way or another.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Ever since I upgraded my pc I've mostly bought games on steam unless they were exclusives for the Ps3 like last of us (which did look great and boast a pretty solid framerate to be fair). However turned on my ps+ version of xcom compared to the pc and it was pretty unbearable. Consoles are totally fine but this late with a good pc makes it hard to play a multi platform game unless its because of online with friends or it's an exclusive.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Good for you.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So can I take the 360 version off your hands?

wishful_starrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I cannot afford to upgrade to a super fly PC is the reason why I manage. Oh and I do know what I'm missing brah.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@5figh said:

Im not sure what you're trying to do with this post. I don't think there's much value at this point in the console cycle in telling people what they're missing out on by playing on the current consoles. I'd imagine most people know all that by now and have made their minds up one way or another.

I'm not trying to do anything, really. It's just that I *thought* I'd still get a viable option by getting the 360 version. Especially when reviewers in video reviews show us a silky-smooth experience with xbox controller inputs. Of course, now I understand they probably played the PC version with a 360 controller, but still.

It's just totally unplayable to me right now. I'm not a PC-oriented player, since I own all consoles. I just wish they'd stop taking the 25 FPS route for current-gen games. Heck, why don't they just lower the graphical specs for the console versions so that it's still perfectly playable? It's like they're trying to put everything; lense flare, shadows, HBAO/SSAO and crank it up so that it looks okay, but to hell with the framerate and loading. You don't need that in console gaming, it's way too taxing for the current gen. Games from 2011, which have capped the graphical quality of the 360, like Arkham City for instance, looks just as great and runs at a silky-smooth 30 FPS on consoles.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Framerate only really bothers me when it's really shitty. Most of the time, If I have to make do with an inferior version, I'll make do and still have a really fun time.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jnal

Since building my PC in January I can't stand playing console versions. I still play some games with a controller but I notice any hitches or stutters in the console versions.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Congratulations

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for letting everyone know you play PC games

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't notice any of those issues. I was about to say maybe your copy is busted.

But, it's probably just that you're a PC gamer who can't go back. Which, I can understand. I'm not a PC gamer, but I can wrap my mind around it.

The game runs smooth for me, and I'm not even noticing any screen tearing...which was something I'd heard about.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have the HD space, make sure to install the high resolution textures on the 360

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Amikron

I think people are taking this as bragging instead of realizing it is a warning to not purchase the console version of the new Splinter Cell if you can avoid it. Sometimes it isn't such a big deal but some of the recent releases are being pushed out with really sub par performance. I understand a bit of hitching during heavy action or explosions and whatnot but if a game cannot maintain a stable framerate at all and it is hindering gameplay that is something we should be aware of before making a purchase.

I would be very miffed if I spent $60 on a game only to get something that was not fully playable. People keep taking stuff like this as "faction warfare", consoles vs pc, etc. but if a game cannot run smooth enough to let one play the game properly it is a problem and the developer should be held accountable. No one should pay for a game that doesn't work on the specs it is designed for. That goes extra for console games in my opinion simply because they are making these games for specific sets of components, not a myriad of devices like the PC version has to account for.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Sooty

@csl316 said:

I manage because I haven't had to buy any new hardware in years.

My graphics card is 3 years old in December. I'm playing Blacklist and Saints Row IV smoothly with settings set to ultra.

So I don't see your point. You buy smart you reap the rewards of longevity.

I'll always have both console and PC though, I wouldn't want a shitty PC for gaming nor working on/using in general. If it really came down to it, I'd choose PC. It's just more convenient than console gaming in its current form, my PC is almost always on / sleep mode is instant on and off, so I can get into a game far quicker than any console.

edit: and if I settled with just playing games on low-medium, I could probably keep this card for at least another 2-3 years. For now everything plays great on ultra, the only recent game I've not been able to play with really high/ultra settings is Metro Last Light, and even then it still looked fantastic.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Klei

@amikron said:

I think people are taking this as bragging instead of realizing it is a warning to not purchase the console version of the new Splinter Cell if you can avoid it. Sometimes it isn't such a big deal but some of the recent releases are being pushed out with really sub par performance. I understand a bit of hitching during heavy action or explosions and whatnot but if a game cannot maintain a stable framerate at all and it is hindering gameplay that is something we should be aware of before making a purchase.

I would be very miffed if I spent $60 on a game only to get something that was not fully playable. People keep taking stuff like this as "faction warfare", consoles vs pc, etc. but if a game cannot run smooth enough to let one play the game properly it is a problem and the developer should be held accountable. No one should pay for a game that doesn't work on the specs it is designed for. That goes extra for console games in my opinion simply because they are making these games for specific sets of components, not a myriad of devices like the PC version has to account for.

this. Thank you.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Whatever, I play plenty of PC games at 60+ fps and I didn't see a problem with that one (which I'm playing on 360.) I'm not saying framerate is not becoming a serious issue with current-gen games, sub-30 is pushing the line of unacceptable, but Blacklist is far from the worst.

The Last of Us had similar to worse framerate, and plenty of people enjoyed the hell out of that game, me included.

But hey, we all differ I guess, perception and all.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.