Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomonobu Itagaki

Person » credited in 25 games

Tomonobu Itagaki is an acclaimed but controversial game designer responsible for Dead or Alive and the 3D Ninja Gaiden revival games.

Itagaki working on new Xbox 360 game!

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By webby
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Whisperkill

Nice, hopefully it will be good

They seem very optimistic, which is good considering the whole debacle that went on
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

Not a surprise, I didn't expect him just to do nothing after he left Team Ninja.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Eelcire

Excellent news! Just read the interview, and it seems to be true that Itagaki took part of Team Ninja with him. Shame that nothing will be revealed at E3, but I'm glad to hear of this new team, and that he is still in game development! As much as I'd like to see another fighter from Itagaki, it just wouldn't be the same without the Dead or Alive cast. Hopefully TGS will reveal more.

Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stunt

I wonder what type of game it is. He says it's not a fightingn game and that they want to do something new, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be an action game as well. I'd love to see how an RPG would come out from this guy.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

He's talking as if the game will be doing something new and I hope that's legit.  I really like the guys previous work but I could give a crap if its a retread of the Dead or Alive series or Ninja Gaiden with new characters.   Also, if his studio is really named Tokyo Vikings that's just badass.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust

As a fan of the DOA series, I am glad to see him return to game development, however, I'd like to see some changes in the art style normally associated with (former) Team Ninja.  Since almost everyone from the old team is in his new company, I doubt we'll see much different than what we've seen before from them, artistically speaking.  I'm not referring to the massive cleavage, either.  I don't have a problem with that aspect.  But the smoothness, almost plastic-like appearance of most things in Team Ninja games looks dated by modern standards.  I'm interested to see what this non-fighter game looks like. 

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eelcire

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I actually prefer the art style from the Dead or Alive games; it gave them a distinct aesthetic, most games going toward the realistic and DoA sticking more toward anime. However, the interview stated that while the original art director is still around, the new Itagaki team also has brought in other people such as the art director from Virtua Fighter 5. It sounds like a good crew has been put together and I look forward to hearing more.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Yay!  That's great.
    Granted, I'm on the outside, but especially towards the end of development of NG2 it seemed like Tecmo was essentially being an asshole to the workers.

While I loved how NG2 turned out, I do acknowledge that there wasn't some polish in some departments---- graphics look good in some areas, bad in others, it locks up at one of the cutscenes towards the end, etc.  Nothign serious and the most latter was fixed, but overall I feel like Team Ninja would be better off working seperate from Tecmo.  Judging by what this article says, that is Team Ninja, not the team making Sigma 2.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'm totally non-plussed.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can't take credit for this, found it on neogaf, but I had to post it:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.