Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tron 2.0

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 26, 2003

Tron 2.0 is a story-driven first-person shooter that takes place in a computer world. It stands as a video game sequel to the 1982 movie 'Tron'. Bruce Boxleitner reprises his role as Alan Bradley, with the game's main character being his son, Jet Bradley.

Needs a sequel...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Don't you agree?  When the game was first out, the sales were poor on it...but PC gaming also wasn't at the height that it is today.  Moreover, Killer App (the Xbox version) didn't appeal because the console was still fairly new.

With all the news coming out on Tr2n, as well as Tron's importance in Kingdom Hearts II, it would seem like the perfect time for a new game.  Plus, the movie isn't due out until 2011 anyways.  = D
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

Another Tron movie?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187
    Demyx said:
    "Another Tron movie?"
    Teaser from Comic-Con:

axxiomatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By axxiomatiq

I'd love a sequel, but I can't see it selling well.  The poor sales of the Xbox version (which were likely due to the fact that it was released the week before Halo 2 came out) would probably scare publishers away from a Tron 3.0 pitch.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By roushimsx

I adored Tron 2.0 and was always disappointed that it tanked so hard. Monolith really got the shitty end of the stick more often than not when it came to game sales. It's a damn shame the expansion pack got canceled, because the game really felt incomplete without it.

Reminds me that I still need to do successive playthroughs of Tron 2.0 and Tron 2.0 Killer App so that I can document the differences in the single player portion (unless someone else wants to do it or has already done it). Killer App's one big flaw (ok, other than the horrendous cover art) was the screen tearing display problem. If there's one thing that I can not stand (moreso than dropped frames!), it's screen tearing. :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187

The game just came out at the wrong time, man.  If it was released for this gen, it would've been much more appreciated and probably would've gotten pushed a little harder.  I think a sequel to this would end up doing rather well, especially given the huge hit of retro shit that has been around.  Hell, Mega Man 9 sold how many copies?  Bionic Commando Rearmed?  Seriously, a new Tron game could do VERY well...and with Monolith almost completed on F.E.A.R. 2, it's not like they couldn't do it.  = D

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

I can't beleive I'm bumping an old thread, but I totally agree with it. I was going to make my own topic, but it's been done. Way ahead of its time, and with a some polish and a new coat of paint, this game would be totally compaitble with our generation. Just imagine how much better it could look today, too. We need a grassroots movement for more TRON games. With the movie sequel coming up, maybe we'll get our wish.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond
    jakob187 said:
    "Don't you agree?  When the game was first out, the sales were poor on it...but PC gaming also wasn't at the height that it is today.  Moreover, Killer App (the Xbox version) didn't appeal because the console was still fairly new.
    With all the news coming out on Tr2n, as well as Tron's importance in Kingdom Hearts II, it would seem like the perfect time for a new game.  Plus, the movie isn't due out until 2011 anyways.  = D
    "
    I really liked Tron 2.0.  In a time when I wasn't finishing many games, it's one I played 100% through (PC version).  I never even finished NOLF2 without cheating.

PC game sales at that time weren't the reason it didn't sell very well.  For that matter, things are only worse now, but a multiplatform PS3, 360, and PC release would pick up the slack and then some.

Could they make a good sequel?  FEAR1 and 2 were so lifeless compared to their old games.  I remember when ever Monolith (why do so many game companies have this exact name anyways?) Productions was a major gaming event.  It was like a high profile Nintendo game release.  "Holy shit Shogo is coming out"  What have they had in the last 6 years?  Contract J.A.C.K., Matrix Online.  Condemned 1 and FEAR 1 were pretty good, but Condemned 2 and FEAR2 not so much in my book.  I guess I don't think they could make a good Tron 3.0 now.

The things I liked about Tron 2.0 were unrelated to the theme (although the bloom effects were impressive at the time).  Upgrading weapons and powers, the alpha beta and gold references were fun.  The level design and story presentation were cool.  I'd rather see a good NOLF3 that incorporated both what I liked about NOLF2's gameplay and what I liked from Tron 2.0.  That's just a theme I'd prefer.
    Beb_Jobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Beb_Jobel

Hey guys! They have made another one! It's calld Tron: Evolution! Except it's nothing like the other one!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.