Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Twisted Metal

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

The long-running tournament-based vehicular manslaughter simulator returns with this new entry, exclusive to the Playstation 3.

The final nail on the car-combat coffin?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

I can't remember the last game that was this busted. I really wanted to like this. It was my most anticipated game of 2012. However the online being just completely broken is inexcusable. I just tried to get a game of nuke going and it still has errors. After more than 40 minutes I was able to get in one game of team death match. For as loud a mouth that Jaffe had saying " we focused on the multiplayer" how is it still pretty much unplayable a month later? When you have to make blog posts updating the games status and just showing an obscene amount of numbers, you fucked up. What do you guys think? Was this game the final nail on the car-combat coffin? Do you think anybody else will try to make a car combat game this decade?

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Generiko

I think this is the cement filling the grave site. The car combat had its final nail nailed a long time ago.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

It's still busted? Man, that sucks to hear. I passed on Twisted Metal because of other games (and had to because of the delay... fucking so many delays for UK releases this year), and I always assumed by the time i get around to it, the multiplayer would finally be functional.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

More like they opened the coffin and tried to steal jewellery from the deseased but that corpse was so badly decomposed nothing was salvageable.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

That's disappointing. I have some very fond memories of playing the original Twisted Metal.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By TechHits

@Vinny_Says said:

More like they opened the coffin and tried to steal jewellery from the deseased but that corpse was so badly decomposed nothing was salvageable.

eww, but yeah that's about the long and short of it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarthOrange

@Generiko said:

I think this is the cement filling the grave site. The car combat had its final nail nailed a long time ago.

What was the final nail them? Was it Jak X?

As for this game I tried it again yesterday and played a few rounds of last man standing. The most painful thing is that this game is a blast to play but you spend more time in menus trying to get a game going then you do playing the actual game. :/

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By huntad

I know this doesn't pertain to online multiplayer, but is the singleplayer content functional? That's the only reason I'd get it. I always played the singleplayer parts of the TM games when I was younger. As long as there's that and bot matches, I'm good.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarthOrange

@huntad:

The single player works fine, as do bot matches. Only thing I didn't care to much for was that during the single player all of the AI dog-piles on you and you are left fighting six cars that are all viciously attacking you on your own. That said, the cut scenes are great and the boss battles feel unique. Still it is pretty short and thus is hard to recommend at $60.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By huntad

@DarthOrange: Oh, is it really bad in that way? Do the AI players attack you on sight and begin ignoring each other until they kill you first? Super Smash Bros Brawl had a similar problem, and it became harder to enjoy for that reason. Now I have to rent it before I buy it..

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarthOrange

@huntad:

Yea the AI does not attack each other. Like you said, I recommend you try it before you buy it.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By WightnNerdy

I liked a couple of the Twisted Metal games for the PS1 but I never thought the new Twisted Metal looked any good, to be honest.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By huntad

@DarthOrange: Thanks for the help. Honestly, this kind of 'word of mouth' helps me out a lot more than reviews usually ever do.

Anyways, on topic, hopefully this gets fixed soon, but like you said it's been a really long time for it to still have these problems. I wonder if it'll ever be fixed in such a way that anyone could jump online and play without any problems. If not, I don't really see this game taking off, which would mean that car combat games probably won't be making a resurgence.

It's cool that this exists, but such a damn shame that the online component is in such bad shape.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Enigma777

It's sad to hear that the MP is still having so many online issues...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

@DarthOrange said:

I can't remember the last game that was this busted. I really wanted to like this. It was my most anticipated game of 2012. However the online being just completely broken is inexcusable. I just tried to get a game of nuke going and it still has errors. After more than 40 minutes I was able to get in one game of team death match. For as loud a mouth that Jaffe had saying " we focused on the multiplayer" how is it still pretty much unplayable a month later? When you have to make blog posts updating the games status and just showing an obscene amount of numbers, you fucked up. What do you guys think? Was this game the final nail on the car-combat coffin? Do you think anybody else will try to make a car combat game this decade?

As someone who as played well over 20 hours online and is nearly level 30. I'm finding it plenty playable.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

I've been hearing about a lot of well known games famous for their multiplayer with severe issues in the past year or two. It's kind of a weird trend. I wonder what's changed?

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By logicfracture

Throw that coffin in the back of a Hearse. It's time for a Vigilante 8 reboot!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think it's the perfect genre for XBLA or PSN. Someone just needs to go back to the basics of what made them fun, much like Mortal Kombat did last year.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

@Demoskinos:

really? what mode do you play? do you host your own rooms? do you play with a clan? what is your secret!?!?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi

@DarthOrange: Usually, TDM but I'll do some FFA too. I just use filters to make sure that the rooms I try to enter are manually created rooms and not auto generated ones through Quick Match then I'll sort that list by Player count and try to join a game with a low player count as the refresh on the player counts doesn't update nearly as frequently as it needs too. Usually the games that say 2/10 a good number of times will already have 7 people by the time you connect to lobby.

Granted, not everyone may have the luck I've had but I've not had many issues outside of still random game drops mid game. I can only speak from my experience. I mean, if you doubt me I'll post a picture of my stats screen. I just know I played the absolute crap out of the game through febuary.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarthOrange

@Demoskinos:

I see a ton of Team Death Match games but I don't really care for those modes. I prefer Last Man Standing and Nuke and those modes almost always have either a group host who doesn't start the match or people join the rooms but never wait, they come in and exit 20 seconds later. I guess the biggest problem is that most people only play Death Match and Team Death Match, leaving around maybe 50 people total that play the other game modes. Also the random errors don't help.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

I bought it yesterday and got into a game straight away, great deal of fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.