Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultima IX: Ascension

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 23, 1999

Ultima IX was the last traditional single-player RPG game in the Ultima series. Widely considered a failure, the game launched riddled with technical difficulties and is often considered the worst game in the series.

Has anyone played this game?

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee

I thought it was great, 'course it was like 3 years ago, but I wish there were more games like this.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

More like almost 11 years ago.  It was released in 1999!  And yes, it was AWESOME.  3DFX FTW!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wasn't this game universally hated by just about everybody (Richard Garriot included)?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

No, but I want to thou. I got #7, but all i did in that game was kill people and steal stuff.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ArbitraryWater: 

No it wasn't hated, people complained that it needed a really powerful PC to run it, which was strange because many leading games of the day, including Half life, had the same arguments levelled at them too.
    Gre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Gre

I played the game when it first came out, and then again on a laptop in 2004.  I grew up as a huge fan of the Ultima series (starting with  Ultima I in 1983 or '84 or whenever it was re-released), and this game was sometime of a disappointment.  It abandoned a lot of what made the good Ultima's great, trivialized the story, and made for a very unsatisfying end to a great series.  But the graphics were great (for the time).  If you're interested in playing some great Ultima games, I would suggest IV or V, which you should be able to play in DosBox, or the Ultima Underworld series.  The Underworld games are 3-D games from the mid-nineties, I think, and they have great, open-ended game play.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Von

Nothing beats Ultima VII. 

As for IX, I liked it when it came out, and when the fan-made patch came out I played it again and liked it just as much.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Gre:  Ultima Underworld : The Stygian Abyss predates even Wolfenstein 3D - it was released in March of '92 while Wolfenstein 3D was released in May of the same year.  Ultima Underworld 2 : Labyrinth of Worlds was released a year later.
    @Von:  For the best Ultima VII experience use Exult; it's a native Windows / Linux / OS X Ultima VII player which allows you to fully experience the entirety of the Ultima VII games (Serpent's Isle and the other addons) while also allowing for some rather fun and useful additional features, such as native speech pack support, various graphic scaling settings (which can make the game look really pretty) and being able to increase the world view as well being able to teleport anywhere by double clicking on the world map.
    blastershift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By blastershift

There is a lot of fan patches and stuff happening with this game right now. I'm wondering can I add any of that info to the wiki or ?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By JCGamer

That was a game ahead of its time.  How many games even today have a seamless transition from indoor/dungeons/outdoor.  Played like a 3D Zelda game.  I stopped playing it about 3 dungeons into it (PC kept crashing) but would love to get back into it now--I still have the disk.  I have a Macbook (I do have VMWare Fusion and XP)--any suggestions on how to get this game to work?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vodun

I seem to recall liking it, but also it being buggier than an ant hill. I also seem to recall people around who liked Ultima, didn't really feel it was an "Ultima" game. Dunno, the memories I'm getting is sorta technically flawed but good (think Obsidian games).

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By perilator666

I have that giant collectors edition somewhere around here. 

Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Morien
    @JCGamer said:
    " That was a game ahead of its time."  
    Very true. I played it when it first came out and couldn't really get into it. Even dealing with the bugs and graphic issues on my PC back then, I just wasn't the kind of gamer back then that I am now. About two years ago I found out there was a fan patch for this 
    and thought I'd try it again since I loved pretty much the whole Ultima series;  starting with 3 and on, including the Underworld series. I really enjoyed it! I thought it had quite a bit of depth and man it's a long game, that world is huge! It wasn't until 
    Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind that I thought any game came close to such a large scope and story. 
    Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fluxxed

If I can't bake bread with the blood of a murder victim, then feed the bread to his orphan I'm not interested.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.