Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted 2 Review

Brym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Brym

I posted my Uncharted 2 review.  I gave the game 3.5/5.  The game has some great elements, but also some serious flaws.  I decided to post my review this late precisely because my opinion seems to be outside the norm.  I thought it be worthwhile to have a dissenting voice represented in the user reviews on the site.

Brym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brym

I posted my Uncharted 2 review.  I gave the game 3.5/5.  The game has some great elements, but also some serious flaws.  I decided to post my review this late precisely because my opinion seems to be outside the norm.  I thought it be worthwhile to have a dissenting voice represented in the user reviews on the site.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

Dude, 3.5? Seriously?

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By eclipsesis

I  read your review and i agree with two of the points you made the first being the issues jumping, yes at times the game can get a little crazy. The second was the camera, it has also caused me trouble, but considering the type of game it is, the camera is far more than competent.

I however don't agree with your score its far too low, and you seemed  to dwell on difficulty far too much.

"But like I said, there are flaws. The first is difficulty. On the default setting, there is a massive spike in difficulty in the final third of the game. By my rough calculations using the in-game stats screen, I was dying once every 2.5 minutes during the combat in the final third of the game. It was too difficult to be fun."

This paragraph is nonsense, i got the "Survivor" trophy while playing through the Crushing difficulty    

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bald3rdash
    @Brym: 
    "But like I said, there are flaws. The first is difficulty. On the default setting, there is a massive spike in difficulty in the final third of the game. By my rough calculations using the in-game stats screen, I was dying once every 2.5 minutes during the combat in the final third of the game. It was too difficult to be fun."

Man I hate to tell you, but if you were dying every 2.5 minutes on normal difficulty you aren't as skillful as you think.  Sure there were parts in the game I had to play through 2 or 3 times because I was being dumb, but I'm willing to admit that it was my fault and not the game's.  

When it comes to reviewing a game, to each his own; I'm not going to knock your score for Uncharted 2 because of how much I like the game.  But if you count the above as a flaw, I'd say you should rethink your review.
    Brym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brym
    @eclipsesis said:

This paragraph is nonsense, i got the "Survivor" trophy while playing through the Crushing difficulty    

I expected a lot of "lol u suck" type comments.  I'm not here to defend my e-peen, just telling you about my experience with the game.  If you can get survivor on crushing, good for you.  But realize that you're outside the norm.

By the way, when I've looked around the internet at other reviews, a lot of people have mentioned how stupid the difficulty gets at the end.  Jeff mentioned it briefly in last week's podcast, for instance.  So I'm not crazy.  I just haven't seen other people analyze how it affects the pacing and the core gameplay tactics that make the rest of Uncharted fun.  Perhaps it's because they're too afraid of "lol u suck" comments from the internet masses.
    skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By skidd
    @Brym said:
    " I thought it be worthwhile to have a dissenting voice represented in the user reviews on the site. "
    This is fine, as long as the problems in the game warrant heavy criticism. I agree with you that the difficulty is slightly mis-judged, but I dont think this is to an extent that it dramatically reduces an overall excellent experience, or at least to the level you seem to be suggesting.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

I read your review and commented on it. I respect your opinion but must disagree. I keep hearing about people who are really frustrated about the difficulty but I really wasn't bothered by it much. I am not sure....I usually consider myself a subpar gamer. I don't think I am that great at these games. Maybe I should try out Demon's Souls. ;)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Evilsbane

The only real problem which yes happened in the last 1/3 of the game, was not so much the difficultly but the cheapness of my deaths, grenades rockets and crazy people that can kill you in a single hit just isn't fun, 

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!
    Below:

Like on the last boss when he is shooting at you he sometimes hits the sap well your having to lead him to the sap and if he hits it while your there BOOM your dead not fun after running around for awhile trying to kill him. And the blue native people the first two you have to fight were insane damage spongey dudes and felt like fighting the Brutes in Halo two, and the armored dudes with shotguns no they were not super difficult and they supplied weapons to beat them without to much difficultly but heaven forbid one sneaks up on you 1 shot and your dead plus you can't melee any of these high level things and I thought that kinda sucked.

But I still give the game a 5 out of 5 and it should at THIS point be GOTY but maybe something else will come out that will amaze me this year.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By trulyalive

I don't get the problem with the end baddies. I thought the mini-gun mutants were way tougher...

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Akeldama
    @nanikore said:
    " Dude, 3.5? Seriously? "
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cube

Weak review, in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.