Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Anyone know why splitscreen does this nowadays?

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ultimatepunchrod
    No Caption Provided

Why does splitscreen shift the players screens to the left and right rather than just splitting it across the middle of the screen. I'm sure there's a good explanation; I just don't know what it is. I know it's not just U3 because CoD: WaW did the same thing. Do any of you guys know why this is? I don't mind it that much. Just curious.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maajin

It's to maintain the aspect ratio of the screens. Dividing across the middle would get you too wide or too high screens depending on the orientation.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

My completely uneducated guess would be to maintain aspect ratio.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Probably because the image would become to wide otherwise. Might be that they would have to render to much at the same time.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By theodacourt

It's what the guys above me have said, and also to avoid confusion of having similar textures either side of the divide. If one player has a grey floor and another a grey roof, and everything is moving quickly it can get quite confusing.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

They just do it to PISS ME OFF.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpartyOn

@theodacourt said:

It's what the guys above me have said, and also to avoid confusion of having similar textures either side of the divide. If one player has a grey floor and another a grey roof, and everything is moving quickly it can get quite confusing.

This was exactly what I had always assumed. It would get very very difficult to discern where one player's screen ends and the other's begins if there was no physical divider.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrickRoad

Yeah, aspect ratio and image clarity I suppose like everyone else has said. Maybe it also put less strain on the system, as it's got less pixels to render out.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

Thanks everyone. I figured there was a legitimate explanation. I thought it might have to do with how much the systems have to process as well but yeah. Thanks.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By RobertOrri

To maintain aspect ratio and also to conserve framerate. Each line they don't have to render is a smidgen of performance saved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.