Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Undertale

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 15, 2015

A quirky role-playing game that takes place in a secret subterranean world of monsters and gives players the choice to either kill or spare their enemies.

How hard is this game?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I rarely beat turn based combat games, I either get bored of the grind or hit a difficulty spike and can't go any further so my question is will I hit something similar in Undertale?

I like to play as many of the GOTY contenders as I can and beat them so I wonder if I wouldn't with this. I know its supposed to be a shorter game but I've also heard it gets really hard. I'm also a spoiler-phobe so trying to keep away from doing too much research.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

This is not that at all. It's a twitch game pretending to be a turn-based game. The majority of the combat loop is made up of little bullet-hell minigames where you're piloting a cursor around a bunch of bullshit flying around the screen. The game keeps this fresh by modifying patterns and introducing new rules and mechanics. I haven't beaten it but so far it's been challenging but manageable.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

The bullet-hell bits can get extremely hard. But, the game is fairly forgiving and there's usually checkpoints right before big battles. There's also a bunch of puzzles, none of them are overly taxing.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

In general it was easy the whole way through for me, minus trying to solve some of the boss fights. You're not going to dodge every attack but that also doesn't mean you're losing the battle.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By audioBusting

A neutral run (killing a few monsters here and there) is still manageable, but aiming for either unique endings will take some bullet dodging skills. Grinding is not required at all, and... I don't recommend it...

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As someone that went for the..... path that made combat harder, I was still able to go through all of it relatively fine, final boss was the only one I needed multiple attempts. I just stocked up on the multi use healing items

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.