Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Valve clarifies 'last single-player game' statement

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By NickLott

From CVG  http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300532/news/valve-clarifies-last-single-player-game-statement/

Gabe:

"I think what we're trying to talk about is the fact is not that we're not thinking about single-player games - Portal 2 I think is a pretty good example of what we've learned over the years in terms of how to create those [single-player] experiences.

"It's more that we think that we have to work harder in the future. That entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends, by recognizing that you're connected with other people.

"Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and wanted to have that connected as well.

"It's not about giving up on single-player at all. It's saying we actually think there are a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single-player games to recognize the socially connected gamer. Every gamer has instant messaging, every gamer has a Facebook account. If you pretend that that doesn't exist, you're ignoring the problems that you're taking on.

"It's single-player plus, not 'no more single-player'."
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

I trust they won't completely abandon single player gameplay.  I think this just means more stuff will be like Brink or Mindjack.  (those are bad examples, but those are the first two I could think of.)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

phew, still like single player and i'm not all that social. Thought it was going to turn into resident evil 5 type of gameplay from now on with co-op for everything.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By time allen

i have faith in gaben

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Well yeah, anyone who thought that Valve was actually abandoning single player games entirely is way too easily swept up by the hyperbolistic internet hivemind. How can you not trust the GabeN?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did people actually believe Valve would stop making single-player games? That they'd just dispense with all of the Half-Life universe right before cashing in with Half-Life/Episode 3? Or that they'd make HL 3 a multiplayer shooter?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I apologize in advance if I sound like some sort of 'know it all jackass,' but I thought this was obviously what they meant.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By time allen
    @Keenblaze said:
    " Or that they'd make HL 3 a multiplayer shooter? "
    Call of Duty 3: Gordon's Blade
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrickRoad

I must say I've pretty indifferent to Valve. Half Life was obviously a groundbreaking game, but for me I was oversaturated with it. A few of my mates had it and would go on about it, I'd play it and agree it's good, but it just didn't click with me. Half Life 2 I avoided entirely. But Portal 2 has converted me. So I'm glad they're keeping on with their single player stuff, though I wasn't convined they'd ever stop properly, because I want more Portal 2 level of quality, and these guys can do it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn
    @Toms115 said:
    " @Keenblaze said:
    " Or that they'd make HL 3 a multiplayer shooter? "
    Call of Duty 3: Gordon's Blade "
    It will certainly have a multiplayer component. Not that you'll need it since by the time it comes out in AD-2735 it will have sentient enemy AI in the box.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.