Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Valve Discusses Charging Customers Based on Popularity.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

One of Gabe Newell's theoretical Steam payment methods would charge more for players that are awful people.

There are a few standard payment models for videogames today that include retail, monthly fees, and microtransactions. Valve boss Gabe Newell recently called these models "broken," revealing that the company is looking into new ways of charging customers based on the customers themselves.

In a lengthy interview with Develop, Newell said: "The industry has this broken model, which is one price for everyone. That's actually a bug, and it's something that we want to solve through our philosophy of how we create entertainment products."

Rather than pricing a product based purely on what that product is worth, Newell talks about pricing a product based on what the customer is worth as well. "Some people, when they join a server, a ton of people will run with them," Newell continued. "Other people, when they join a server, will cause others to leave."

"So, in practice, a really likable person in our community should get DotA 2 for free, because of past behavior in Team Fortress 2," Newell added. "Now, a real jerk that annoys everyone, they can still play, but a game is full price and they have to pay an extra hundred dollars if they want voice."

Newell also went over how Valve is already charging high-value customers "negative" amounts, such as those that were paid royalties for creating Team Fortress 2 items. "Their cost for Team Fortress 2 is negative $20,000 per week," he said. "You're never going to see that in a retail store ... It's people who make hats get paid. People who are really popular play for less, or free."

Could this be a method that actually reduces the number of people whose internet anonymity causes them to spout an endless number of obscenities and racially motivated comments just because they were gunned down by a sniper? It seems like it might. Not that internet jerks would disappear overnight, but money could be a strong motivator to make someone pat a fellow player on the back instead of tea-bagging him.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110056-Valve-Discusses-Charging-Customers-Based-on-Popularity

So if you're popular and people like you. You get a free game. If you're an arsehole and ruin games foe people, you get charged more and even more for voice or chat. It seems...a bit strange. Interesting idea but I can't see it working. If they changed it into some kind of rewards program(be a positive member, get free stuff) that could be cool. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Metal_Mills: Yeah I just read about this. I think its pretty crazy and if they find some way to pull it off, I'm totally down. I've got a clean record and being rewarded for it will be awesome.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

How the hell would anyone ever make this work. 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Rayfield

Interesting idea but I can see it leading to all sorts of headaches from pissed off users. Such as HOW COME HE GOT FREE SHIT WHEN I BEEN GODDAMN GOOD TO YOU VALVE etc....
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

This sounds like a bad idea.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By manhattan_project

If they can figure out a way to do it, I'm all for it.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TotalEklypse

This made me laugh a little. 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By laserbolts
    Yeah I don't see this working. Sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany

This is never going to materialize into anything for any service

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vexed

I love the idea of charging obnoxious people extra to enable voice, but I don't see how it could be implemented properly.  You can't base it off player feedback.... I get  bad reviews on XBL just for being better than guys on the other team.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By zor

I have no idea on how they would enforce this so it wouldn't turn into, "Well, that player just kick my butt, so i am going to write a nasty comment about them. And since i want a discount on games, i'll pretend to be semi-bad at this game, so the other team can win and write nice things about me."

Personally, i think this sounds like a dumb idea. I would rather people just played the game they were playing, and not try to win brownie points with the community in order to get discounts.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SlightConfuse

that seems impractial 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Rayfield said:
    Interesting idea but I can see it leading to all sorts of headaches from pissed off users. Such as HOW COME HE GOT FREE SHIT WHEN I BEEN GODDAMN GOOD TO YOU VALVE etc....
    Which would mean that your nice front has been put up just for free shit, and that you're really a douchebag inside, thus warranting Valve to charge you.

Hmhm, I can see this working...
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Rockdalf

Add up number of TF2's I've bought for friends * multiply by money spent in TF2 store * to the power of 36 (number of potatoes gotten in recent ARG) and my free games will come out to....

Zero.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beforet

I never participate in the steam "community." Do I qualify as an "awful person"? Will I be charged extra?

Look, I just have one thing to say for that:

If the game costs more to buy on steam than it does elsewhere, where do you think my money is going?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By napalm
    @Slaker117 said:
    This sounds like a bad idea.
    This sounds like an awful idea.
    Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Freezer_Burn
    @Vexed: That's basically what I'm seeing too. It's a hilarious idea, that would be interesting to see implemented, but it wouldn't work simply because of the user aspect.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By benjaebe

Wait, people are actually taking this seriously?

Gaben is just taking the piss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.