252 Comments
Posted by artraider

its chicago not pit, patrick you should know by the I-93,1-94 is in minneapolis so it makes sense.

Posted by SilverSaint

Do you have the brightness on maximum? The side rooms in the 5 zombie section you show were literally pitch black on the preset brightness. Never having to use the flashlight must make this way easier.

Posted by Efesell

@chose said:

So it's a zombie game? ...........

Heh, that's what I'm saying too. I mean, I'll definitely be playing this, because it does look great, but really? More zombies? Does your dark, emotional post apocalyptic game really have to be a zombie game in 2013?

I mean.. sure, but it seems way more like The Walking Dead. It has plenty of zombies but it doesn't feel at all like some old zombie game.

Posted by pancakehumper

its chicago not pit, patrick you should know by the I-93,1-94 is in minneapolis so it makes sense.

Except It's Boston

Posted by yeliwofthecorn

I'm honestly considering buying a PS4 for this game (and its backlog).

Posted by PillClinton

@efesell said:
@pillclinton said:

@chose said:

So it's a zombie game? ...........

Heh, that's what I'm saying too. I mean, I'll definitely be playing this, because it does look great, but really? More zombies? Does your dark, emotional post apocalyptic game really have to be a zombie game in 2013?

I mean.. sure, but it seems way more like The Walking Dead. It has plenty of zombies but it doesn't feel at all like some old zombie game.

Agreed, and I like The Walking Dead alright too, but it still relies on an extremely tired trope. Last of Us could be a dark, emotional post apocalyptic tale without zombies. That is possible. Just like infinite parallel universes, zombies are a cheap, easy device to justify certain aspects of a narrative.

Posted by Efesell

@efesell said:
@pillclinton said:

@chose said:

So it's a zombie game? ...........

Heh, that's what I'm saying too. I mean, I'll definitely be playing this, because it does look great, but really? More zombies? Does your dark, emotional post apocalyptic game really have to be a zombie game in 2013?

I mean.. sure, but it seems way more like The Walking Dead. It has plenty of zombies but it doesn't feel at all like some old zombie game.

Agreed, and I like The Walking Dead alright too, but it still relies on an extremely tired trope. Last of Us could be a dark, emotional post apocalyptic tale without zombies. That is possible. Just like infinite parallel universes, zombies are a cheap, easy device to justify certain aspects of a narrative.

I suppose.

I guess I just don't particularly mind what manner of trope that you use, so long as you use those tools with skill.

Posted by Pullarius_Capax

I don't remember giantbomb comment threads being this flame war-y, I also noticed it a lot in the E3 live show chat? People are way too cynical and jaded around here.

Edited by rjayb89

"It's not a... fun game" - Patrick Klepek

Great, I'll pick it up later then. Besides, I'd have to guess that ____ has to die, _____ is some catalyst for the zombie cure, and ____ also dies because of _____? That's par for the course.

Posted by BluPotato

kinda looks like it plays like Manhunt which I loved, can't wait to play.

Posted by ripelivejam

read about 3 comments here and i already hate everyone

Posted by onan

Also: why do you need to physically hide from clickers when Ellie says they sense with sound? Does ducking behind a cabinet make you quieter?

Not having seen the video at all, I'd assume that something called a "clicker" that can "sense with sound" would use echolocation to get around and "see" surroundings, much like bats. So yes, ducking behind a cabinet would indeed help you not get spotted.

Edited by headphonehalo

@jimmyfenix said:

@mbr2: Yeah lets judge a game with what 40 mins ?

Yes? I can easily tell whether I'll enjoy a game or not by watching 40 minutes of its gameplay.

And doing that is kind of what quick looks are for in the first place.

Posted by John1912

Got the game today. Played for like 3 hours. Not really all that impressed. Hope it gets better.

Posted by Landon

If I can be super-vapid and superficial for a second? This game looks terrible. I'm sure Naughty Dog did the best they could with the hardware, and I'm sure it's irrelevant given the narrative focus of the game, but still. I expected lavish eye candy, and the QL left me disappointed.

Also: why do you need to physically hide from clickers when Ellie says they sense with sound? Does ducking behind a cabinet make you quieter?

You're dumb.

Edited by HerbieBug

Not watching! I have game in shrink rap sitting on my kitchen table. Media black out! I'm typing this with my eyes closed!

Posted by Efesell

@onan said:

@quietyith said:

Also: why do you need to physically hide from clickers when Ellie says they sense with sound? Does ducking behind a cabinet make you quieter?

Not having seen the video at all, I'd assume that something called a "clicker" that can "sense with sound" would use echolocation to get around and "see" surroundings, much like bats. So yes, ducking behind a cabinet would indeed help you not get spotted.

"Like bats" is in fact exactly how the game chooses to describe them when you're introduced to one.

Posted by Hashbrowns

I'm honestly considering buying a PS4 for this game (and its backlog).

Just to clarify, though, the PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3 games. They are going to offer some sort of streaming video service for remotely playing catalog Playstation titles, but I wanted to make sure you knew that it won't be playing natively on your PS4.

Posted by TigerDX

@vinny Could this be put in the Quick Looks category, please?

Thanks! Otherwise it makes a mess of API feeds.

Online
Edited by hyst

@quietyith: Maybe it's sonar? The clicking sends out the sound and then they listen for the reflected sound? In that case, hiding behind an object would work, however unless their sonar is incredible standing still should achieve the same result :).

Posted by karmaghost
@zevvion said:

@snowypliskin said:

Either its the compression or something else but I expected this game to look better.

It's probably watching E3 all week looking at next gen games and you're just now realizing that they, in fact, do look significantly better than current generation games. It's just not as big a leap as before.

It's that, but also wait until later in the QL once they get into some areas with more light. It looks pretty good, but I agree that E3 stuff has spoiled us a bit.

Posted by Efesell

@hyst said:

@quietyith: Maybe it's sonar? The clicking sends out the sound and then they listen for the reflected sound? In that case, hiding behind an object would work, however unless their sonar is incredible standing still should achieve the same result :).

It does. You can also creep veeeery slowly and they have a hard time detecting you.

Posted by Karmann

So many stupid comments -_-
...this game is awesome, can't wait to get my copy!

Edited by steveurkel

why is this video such low quality

Posted by mrfluke

People are way too cynical and jaded around here.

Glad im not the only one here that realizes this,

Its the Staff's fault honestly, Pre E3, they carried that same cynical (they like to phrase it as critical) attitude, doesn't surprise me that it bleeds over to the audience.

Online
Posted by Pullarius_Capax

@mrfluke: The biggest offender I think is Patrick (who I generally like), his talk of "I recommend jacking the difficulty to increase the tension" kind of snobbily dismisses the people who might want to play this game for the gameplay and story, but don't want to be as emotionally drained afterwards. Its like he forgets that there are people out there who don't like horror at all and want the more"pop-corny" experiences. Obviously this on easy won't be that and I agree with him about COD being too pop-corny, but the people on the site (and to a lesser extent patrick) need to remember their gaming preferences aren't the only ones and not the "right" ones.

I'll probably pick this up later, play it on easy and enjoy the story.

Posted by luiztfc

Man, I'm at 1/5 of the quick look and Ryan and Patrick should just shut up and enjoy the game! It's so frustrating!

Edited by jimithing83

@evanbower: I don't understand the negative tone directed at my comment.

Unless it's explained from a narrative point of view, the ability to see through walls is dissonant with the world they've created.

Posted by Efesell

@evanbower:

I don't understand the negative tone directed at my comment.

Unless it's explained from a narrative point of view, the ability to see through walls is dissonant with the world they've created.

It isn't explained, it's purely a concession that hey Stealth can be super frustrating and not fun if you aren't given the tools for it. But if it does really detract from things then it can just be toggled off from the menu.

Posted by jimithing83
Edited by Sticky_Pennies

To all you guys arguing about where the game takes place. 39:35. It's Pittsburgh. Now stop arguing! (:

Posted by sublime90

good QL. i would be playing this game already but the lazy ass UPS man decided not to drop my copy off because there was work being done on the street and he would have to leave his truck and walk 3 houses down ....so now i have to wait until monday. so because of that i hope he gets cancer in both of his balls.

Posted by Mofaz

The textures in this game are fairly ugly, the outdoor environments generally bland beyond some nice skyboxes and vistas, there are consistent FPS drops throughout the entire game, the melee combat uses outmoded sticking mechanics that make it difficult to disengage from a melee action, the crafting mechanics are shallow, all the encounters are predesigned so there's no real need for improvisation and thus the survival nature of the game is squelched by a superficial lack of dynamic design, the storyline itself is predictable and the story beats are separated in the same fight/explore/story framing as countless games before it.

The upgrade system is dull and the over-reliance on collecting items dilutes the pacing of the exploration elements into tedious corner searching. There are numerous save game bugs, the enemy detection ranges and cones are obscure and typically broken, the AI is boneheaded.

I mean, the game mechanically is a complete and utter mess that fails to live up to the standard of integrated storytelling in a fifteen year old game (Half-Life) but apparently a maudlin storyline and some above-average writing is enough to get this game perfect reviews across the board? Why is everyone so delusional?

Posted by McGhee

Ellie is pretty adorable and you just know some terrible shit is going to happen to her. :(

Posted by ToTheNines

So... how did Ellie learn to read huh? HUH?!?

Posted by Efesell

@ninessc2 said:

So... how did Ellie learn to read huh? HUH?!?

Well she probably went to something that is at least somewhat like a school. There is still civilization, it's just really shitty, and mushrooms want to eat you.

Posted by fresh2deafbill

@efesell:

@efesell said:

@ninessc2 said:

So... how did Ellie learn to read huh? HUH?!?

Well she probably went to something that is at least somewhat like a school. There is still civilization, it's just really shitty, and mushrooms want to eat you.

she did...early on Joel references that there is indeed some sort of school system

Posted by DeXterminator

Hey, Jeff! How did you like it when Geoff Keighley called you Jeff "Gertsmen"? Way to be disconnected from the industry that thy works in. I really did not have anything against Mr. Keighley before....until I watched the Video On Gametrailers.com...I LOVE THE BOMB CREW and ALL should RESPECT!!!

Posted by Landon

@mofaz said:

The textures in this game are fairly ugly, the outdoor environments generally bland beyond some nice skyboxes and vistas, there are consistent FPS drops throughout the entire game, the melee combat uses outmoded sticking mechanics that make it difficult to disengage from a melee action, the crafting mechanics are shallow, all the encounters are predesigned so there's no real need for improvisation and thus the survival nature of the game is squelched by a superficial lack of dynamic design, the storyline itself is predictable and the story beats are separated in the same fight/explore/story framing as countless games before it.

The upgrade system is dull and the over-reliance on collecting items dilutes the pacing of the exploration elements into tedious corner searching. There are numerous save game bugs, the enemy detection ranges and cones are obscure and typically broken, the AI is boneheaded.

I mean, the game mechanically is a complete and utter mess that fails to live up to the standard of integrated storytelling in a fifteen year old game (Half-Life) but apparently a maudlin storyline and some above-average writing is enough to get this game perfect reviews across the board? Why is everyone so delusional?

Why is it that when ever time a game comes out and gets universal praise there seems to be this agenda to immediately reveal it for the piece of shit that it secretly is and how everyone who likes it is an a brain dead idiot?

Posted by Mitch0712

Great game, I'm playing it on Hard and am satisfied with the experience.

Edited by Kenshen

@crusader8463: THis isn`t a shooter game, it`s something special.

Posted by Ghostiet

read about 3 comments here and i already hate everyone

Me too.

@chose said:

So it's a zombie game? ...........

Heh, that's what I'm saying too. I mean, I'll definitely be playing this, because it does look great, but really? More zombies? Does your dark, emotional post apocalyptic game really have to be a zombie game in 2013?

It's not really a zombie game. The infected do factor into the story and gameplay, but there's really only one prolonged section in the game were you deal exclusively with them. They're sprinkled around throughout the entire game in a way that didn't bore me and made them feel tense all the time.

@rjayb89 said:

"It's not a... fun game" - Patrick Klepek

Great, I'll pick it up later then. Besides, I'd have to guess that ____ has to die, _____ is some catalyst for the zombie cure, and ____ also dies because of _____? That's par for the course.

Patrick's statement is false. It's very much fun - I hate when people immediately associate tension with lack of fun, which he does right now. TLoU is not scary, it's really tense. Especially on Hard, the game does a good job at limiting your resources and making you use all your stuff.

Also, you'd be surprised plot-wise. While it's not something that will blow your mind with its twists and reinterpretations, I was quite surprised with the way the game ended.

Posted by NDN_Shadow

Holy shit, so much hate. Didn't realize the GB community was full of assholes....

Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy

Barring handhelds, I don't think I've bought a console-exclusive game in years. Looks like it's time to break that trend

Edited by danimal_furry

I played it a little today. Here is my best description, if it will help. It is like Walking Dead, Uncharted, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid combined. Maybe Splinter Cell... rather than Metal Gear. Anyway, I went to the bar for an hour after work, went and picked this game up, started playing at 730, and the next thing I know it is 1130. Then I decided to try out the multiplayer. I suck at shooters and was typically horrible at this one... but it was really fun. Whatever you think this game is, just put aside your expectations to start off. It hasn't let me down the little bit I have played. Also... I hate Clickers and you will too.

Posted by crusader8463

@kenshen said:

@crusader8463: THis isn`t a shooter game, it`s something special.

Where you just happen to spend a fair portion of the game aiming and shooting a gun. It's a third person shooter no matter how much you want to think otherwise. :)

Edited by geirr

I hated the ending to this game but the journey was pretty intense.

I usually play everything on the PC, but sometimes I have to dig out the ol' PS3 because when Naughty Dog brings it, they put everyone else to shame. I can't wait to see what they pull off with more powerful hardware!

edit: I don't know what happened here, but this quick look looks muddy and dull compared to the game when played at home.

Edited by Max_Cherry

Is the ending just the girl shooting the MC in the head because he's been infected?