Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Franchise »

A PC RTS franchise set within in the Warhammer 40k universe. Known for its over-the-top brutality, bleak atmosphere, and action oriented gameplay.

Is this a franchise I should get into?

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I've always admired the RTS genre but could never get into it. I've tried C&C and Starcraft. The only strategy-esque game I really liked whats civ 4. The Dawn of War series seems pretty cool and it gets good reviews. I'm wondering what is the story like? Is it a solid story? Should I play the first game to really get a feel for everything? I'm going to download the demo to try it out but I'm wondering if I should download the demo of the first game or the second. thanks for any advice duders

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

If you aren't already a fan of Warhammer, the story won't matter to you.

Still, they're pretty great games. Sounds like 2 would be right up your alley, it's pretty much an RPG trapped inside the body of an RTS... I know that's a horrible analogy, but trust me, you'd probably like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@Three0neFive said:
    " If you aren't already a fan of Warhammer, the story won't matter to you.  Still, they're pretty great games. Sounds like 2 would be right up your alley, it's pretty much an RPG trapped inside the body of an RTS... I know that's a horrible analogy, but trust me, you'd probably like it. "
    so the story is too deep huh? alright well thanks for the help bud :)
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scrawnto
    @arab_prince: He didn't say the story was too deep. I don't know what gave you that impression. They really are great games. The universe the games are set in is very thoroughly developed, and knowledge of that universe might enhance your experience. However, a lot of the tropes are common enough that you will be able to follow it. Basically, all you need to know is that Chaos and Orks are bad, and Space Marines are warrior monks.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

I don't recommend the Dawn of War games before 2. Those are old school base-building RTS games like Starcraft and most C&C. Dawn of War 2 is a more story focused game with an emphasis on squad control and character progression.

There is a lot of WH40K lore and these games take place in certain moments in that universe's timeline. There's no story outside of the context of what's presented to you in the game that matters while you're playing it.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zityz

Don't ask. Just buy.... No really just buy it. Dow2 and choas rising are amazing games. The story is like an rts with rpg elements. No base building. There is a last stand mode, which you and 2 other people fight off wave after wave up to 20 and you level up in that and get better gear. Lastly the Skirmishs are real fun. Domination and point control are really fun and can be long matches or short. 

Just because it doesn't have base building doesn't mean its deep. You have a 100player count and certain troops costs X amount of player count so you have to balance typoes of troops for effectiveness. You can also upgrade your troops and your hero, as well as they level up so a smaller group of guys at a higher level can beat a full group of guys at lower level. Your troops can set up behind cover for a defensive position. Etc Etc. 

If however you just want to fuck around by yourself or with some buddies, the matches can be fun without the depth required. 

Hope that helps a bit. Also, Chaos are a bit over powered  but fun. Watching an Unclean One rip apart dude after dude is entertaining in itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.