Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Seems like the WiiU doesn't have an achievement system

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dixavd

Going by this response on NeoGAF by someone making Scribblenauts Unlimited there isn't going to be a system-wide achievement system leaving it up to individual games to implement them (like Xenoblade Chronicles did on the Wii).

What do you think about this (I personally was sure they would have expanded their Accomplishments system and added it to the miiverse in a way like how Facebook games can have notifications on peoples feeds :- I am glad they didn't do that, but I still find it a little surprising).

Edit: They actually spoke about this on the latest Bombcast: at approximately the 3 hour mark during the emails. After hearing that does it change your mind on this?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Dixavd said:

Going by this response on NeoGAF by someone making Scribblenauts Unlimited there isn't going to be a system-wide achievement system leaving it up to individual games to implement them (like Xenoblade Chronicles did on the Wii).

What do you think about this (I personally was sure they would have expanded their Accomplishments system and added it to the miiverse in a way like how Facebook games can have notifications on peoples feeds :- I am glad they didn't do that, but I still find it a little surprising).

Why should this even come up when thinking bout buying a console? 
    Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dixavd

@The_Laughing_Man: I never said it did. This has nothing to do with buying the console - this is more about the decision itself being made and what people think about it. Like if people think it is a better or worse way of putting in Achievements by not having them system-wide (and if people think this would affect if they go for them or not - for instance, when I played Xenoblade I found I payed more attention to them due to the way they were integrated into the way the games menus and notifications worked rather than a stand-alone system-wide one).

I am just wondering if this is a way they would prefer them to be or not (e.g. some may think it devalues them since there isn't a running total, others may think the opposite since they aren't forced and in every game).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Aren't most people pretty much over the achievement lust, anyway? Nobody's asked me to play co-op through lame games for achievements for quite awhile.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

That's fine with me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

I really don't care if the Wii U has that sort of system or not. They're fun extras that certain people take far, far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too seriously.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By McGhee

Achievements are duuummb.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

I think it would have been nice if they included something. They obviously aren't fully against the idea seeing as there's all those mii achievements and like 360 of them in Kid Icarus on the 3DS. A lot of people that were obsessed with achievements seem to have given up on the idea (myself included) but it would have been nice if there was some Nintendo-ey way of showing you have completed tasks in games even if it was something dumb like a virtual sticker or a new hat for your mii.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By algertman

Achievements were designed to take away peoples attention that unlockables were turned into DLC.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dixavd

@TooWalrus said:

Aren't most people pretty much over the achievement lust, anyway? Nobody's asked me to play co-op through lame games for achievements for quite awhile.

Yeah, I think that is the general opinion; but they are likely to be sticking around - so the way they are put in still makes a difference to playing games (for instance, developers could simply not put them in and so those that ignore them may like it better since they see less of them - although other developers may use it as an opportunity to put in even more intrusive achievements since they will have total control over how they appear)

I personally don't pay attention to them in general (and only do if they are for a game which I love - like how I am currently going for all of them in the recent shadow of the colossus re-release).

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zyn

@JJOR64 said:

That's fine with me.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

@algertman said:

Achievements were designed to take away peoples attention that unlockables were turned into DLC.

I was kinda thinking that in some sense. To me it seems like instead of getting Unlockables in the game, they just use Achievements in their place. Games with good unlockables with achievements tide to them are what I like. Keep something cool inside the game and I can show it off outside the game as well.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

1) Who cares?

2) The Playstation 3 also didn't have achievements when it launched.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dixavd

@JJOR64 said:

@algertman said:

I was kinda thinking that in some sense. To me it seems like instead of getting Unlockables in the game, they just use Achievements in their place. Games with good unlockables with achievements tide to them are what I like. Keep something cool inside the game and I can show it off outside the game as well.

Don'y forget cheat-codes too - unlockables and cheats were replaced with dlc and achievements. The only one of those things still left are Easter Eggs (and they seem to be there only to get more websites talking about games since within a day they have already been plastered all over youtube - sometimes they even appear in preview content by videogame websites before the game has even come out).

But I do think it changes from game-to-game; like I think some games have replaced them with some pretty cool New Game + options.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Superkenon

Achievements are the little umbrellas in your drink. They're fun, but it tastes the same without them!!!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By colourful_hippie

That sucks. I lost my achievement lust when I switched to PC so this doesn't really bother me but it would have been nice to see achievements on Wii U regardless.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@Mr_Skeleton said:

1) Who cares?

Probably those crazy people that rented that Avatar: The Last Airbender game for the easy 1000 points and no one else.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Hailinel said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

1) Who cares?

Probably those crazy people that rented that Avatar: The Last Airbender game for the easy 1000 points and no one else.

I rented Avatar for its sweet airbending mechanics!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like achievements :D

I wasn't going to get a Wii U regardless, but I would have liked to see it have an achievements system, either way I'm not losing any sleep over that.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dixavd

They actually spoke about this on the latest Bombcast: at approximately the 3 hour mark during the emails. After hearing that does it change your mind on this?

(I'll also edit this into the main post so anyone who just looks at the first post later will see it as well).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Superkenon said:

Achievements are the little umbrellas in your drink. They're fun, but it tastes the same without them!!!

But I like to save them so I can remember all the good drinks I've had, and compare with my friends!

Achievements are just a different kind of leaderboard. I don't really care about getting them anymore, but it's nice to be able to look back a year later and go "oh yeah, I was playing this game and I got this one..!"

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Brodehouse said:

Achievements are just a different kind of leaderboard. I don't really care about getting them anymore, but it's nice to be able to look back a year later and go "oh yeah, I was playing this game and I got this one..!"

That's how I feel too. They are less about the point total for me (though I like that too) and more about the detailed log it keeps of my game playing. Man I wished it was invented decades ago. I would love to be able to go back and look at my Commodore 64 achievements.

I like Achievements, they vaguely harken back to my days of trying to get high-scores in the arcade and playing games just to play games.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By fox01313

Shame that nintendo system doesn't as many games that go on their consoles could support the idea though they really don't have any way of seeing profiles of friends, yourself or anything close to it like the 360/ps3. Considering how kid friendly their consoles are, all the first party games would probably just give achievements for turning the game on, playing the first level & maybe seeing the ending. Now that the xbox achievments (through the xbox live rewards) is giving discounts based on your achievements & other things for your feedback, I'm happy with that system & have not too much hope that Nintendo could support something like the trophy/achievement system on a console level (though seen it some on some of the nintendo games as mini challenge checklist so some developers are fine with it for some games).

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Superkenon

@Brodehouse said:

But I like to save them so I can remember all the good drinks I've had, and compare with my friends!

Yeah, I'll give you that. Records are just good wholesome fun for all! Though I get the same thing when I stick in an old SNES cart and see my old file sitting there. A permanent tribute to my-- aw, shoot, the battery's effed.

Anyway, didn't mean that as a knock against them. It's nice to have a handy listing, and certainly it's a delight when the achievement pops off. I consider them -- much like a precious umbrella -- a good, fun thing that I'd like to see persist. But I don't feel the experience is particularly lacking without them, either.

So there!!

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ExplodeMode

It seems like a bad move. I'm not a huge fan of that stuff, but sitting in the middle and leaving it up to the developers is half-assing it. OS hooks need to be mandatory or to not exist at all, laissez-faire isn't the way to go.

@Mr_Skeleton said:

The Playstation 3 also didn't have achievements when it launched.

And for a while it wasn't mandatory, and it devalued peoples perception of games that didn't have trophies. I think it's a bad idea we already watched play out once.

Stuff like this, no cross game chat, the mic solution -- it all just makes them look unprepared or oblivious.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SomeJerk

If I were Nintendo I'd make a system-wide one and call it the tri-force. Tthree parts to each game, one when you install/initiate, one when you finish it normally and the last when you do everything there is, let the developers define that 100% completion level themselves. You'd be able tell who's got a backlog, who's completionist and who is hella hardcore, and that would be the only system we gamers and the industry would ever need.

It would also be easier to synchronize to GB's databases.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King

My response:

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By egg

It's their loss. If I made spent gazillions of dollars to release a gaming platform, I certainly would put in an achievement system, it's better than not having one, and I think it might actually help. Personally I believe it cross promotes all games on the system.. why wouldn't you want to promote games on your system??

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.