Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U firmware 5.1.0 released.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

A new system firmware update for the Wii U has gone live. With it comes two significant changes:

1. It is now possible to transfer data from one Wii U system to another. Note that the transfer moves all data and cannot be used to move single items.

2. The Wii U eShop can now be navigated with controllers other than the GamePad.

Some additional details on the system transfer:

• All pre-existing data on the target Wii U will will be formatted prior to the transfer, save for existing data on the Wii Menu (that's the Wii menu accessible on the Wii U, not the Wii U menu itself).
    • Content from the Wii Menus of both consoles will be combined. (i.e.: All Wii downloadable titles/Wii Virtual Console titles that were spread across both consoles can now be accessed on the target console).
    • All existing data on the source Wii U will be formatted after the transfer is complete.
    • Nintendo Network IDs that were on the target Wii U prior to the format can be relinked to the console, and the console can keep up to 12 NNIDs at once.

EDIT: The sixty-character limit for thread titles continues to unnecessarily confound.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

While the transfer is something I wont need, the eShop being able to detect other controllers now is nice.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@hailinel said:

2. The Wii U eShop can now be navigated with controllers other than the GamePad.

Ugh, finally.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As someone who prefers navigating the menus on the Wii U with a wiimote that's great. I dont think i'll get any use out of the data transfer thing though. It would make sense if you had a defective console but as far as I know Wii U's are fairly reliable.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just want them to convert all the Wii Virtual Console games to Wii-U mode.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For all the grumbling about lack of transfer capability till now, I was surprised that I didn't hear about it before reading the update notes. It is still not as good as a decoupled account but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.