Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U freezing up frequently

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have the O.G. white WiiU from launch, and I quickly ran through the 8GB hard drive space included, however, since hooking up an external hard drive, the system seems to crash and freeze a LOT. To the point where I have to force a power down almost every time I use it. Could my drive be shot?

Avatar image for captain1ndustry
    Captain1ndustry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wouldn't say shot, possibly too slow. Do you know the speed of your drive? Most external drives are just 5400 rpm laptop drives, extremely slow. If your able, try hooking up a different drive. Typically the larger external drives are desktop based and they run 7200 rpm mostly. If your drive is an SSD based one I would look to your drive enclosure. The only reason I am shooting at the drive atm is because it is the easiest and cheapest thing to replace if needed. I also have a wii u, when putting apps/games on the external drive I had the wii u would sometimes just "lose" those apps so I had to put them back on the wii u hdd as the external hdd just wasn't able to keep up with the onboard flash memory. Since then i've hooked up an ssd to it with an enclosure i bought off of amazon and have had no problems yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.