Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U parts set to cost about $180 and at above $300

• 55 results
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TentPole

Kotaku is full of shit.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Enigma777

@Kidavenger said:

It's better than current gen consoles and it includes a tablet and it's the latest Nintendo console, if it's only $300 it's a day one purchase for me.

Calling that controller a tablet is a stretch. It's not even capacitive ffs!

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By louiedog

@Enigma777 said:

@Kidavenger said:

It's better than current gen consoles and it includes a tablet and it's the latest Nintendo console, if it's only $300 it's a day one purchase for me.

Calling that controller a tablet is a stretch. It's not even capacitive ffs!

There are devices out there made by no name Chinese companies and even bigger, better known brands like Archos that still make resistive touch tablets. They run Android and its apps although they probably aren't very good with anything that needs multitouch. I don't think capactitive touch is necessary to define something as a tablet, although I can't imagine wanting to use one without it.

Where I have a problem calling it a tablet is that it doesn't work without the Wii U. It's an interface for the console. Unless something has changed since they announced it, you can't turn off the Wii U and go read an ebook or play Angry Birds on it. Calling it a tablet is like calling the DS stylus a pen or the Kinect a video camera. In the context of using them with their game platforms they may perform those functions, but they are not those devices.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By fenixrevolution

Wait it out, a price month a few months later may happen.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @rebgav said:

@Claude said:

@rebgav said:

@selbie said:

What I'm really holding out on is the cost of the Wii U tablets. If the console only ships with one, how much will I need to fork out for another one...

and what if they decide at E3 that there should be 4 controllers supported. Too many unknowns at this stage.

It only supports one tablet controller, there's no need to have two.

Actually, that's still up in the air. I've seen it stated that the Wii U could use two tablet controllers.

They're already cannibalizing the power of the machine to render two separate video streams, I can't imagine that supporting more tablets would be a good thing unless it only supports multiple tablets when the console isn't sending output to a tv. God damn it Nintendo, what is this insanity?!

You're thinking in terms of older GPU and non GPGPU design.  Threading and LoD make the rendering of multiple streams with almost no impact a proper reality these days.  Windows 7's Aero is an example of that with its realtime thumbnails on the the taskbar (with the requisite hardware support of course).  There's no reason Nintendo couldn't support multiple display devices at the same time with minimal impact and overlaying the individually relevant elements independently, per player, game function whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.