Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii game for beginners and advanced players?

R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By R3cruit3D

I need to find a game for the Wii that has the following specs (I'm more of a 360 fan, so i was hoping you guys could help me out a little). It's for me and my dad, a little bonding time.
    1, The game has to keep a 'pro' entertained. I play a LOT of games for the 360 and PC (and many consoles before it), so the game has to be apeealing to the more serious gamer.
    2, The game also has to teach a novice how to play games. I've been trying to teach him how to play games since the PS1 and had no luck as he always had to look down and ask 'Which buttons <insert button>', which in turn would result in him dying or crashing. As the wii's controller is more basic i thought this console would help a lot.
    3, Has to support 2 people via split screen (or not, but pref not one at a time)
    4, I was hoping for an FPS, not driving as i've been trying with mario karts and the like for years (think crash bandicoot etc). Definatly no serious gamers only genre like RTS.

Thanks for reading. Post all thoughts weird as they may be, they may just work. The controllers we have are Wii Remote and Nunchuck, nothing else. Thanks for the thoughts.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGremp

Wow, you really sound like a serious gamer.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Idk... House of the dead?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

New Super Mario Bros Wii. Simple controls, varied gameplay, (eventually) tough challenges, the newbies can go in their bubble during tougher platforming sections if they keep failing and rely on the better player alone to get through it.

Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lethkhar

Ha. Good luck finding a challenging game on the Wii.

R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R3cruit3D
    @TheGremp:  I'm not totally 'serious' gamer hence the quotation marks, it's just i prefer to put hours into games like left for dead and borderlands, while the rest of the family like to put time into crash bandicoot. I just want them to realise there are more games then that.
    R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By R3cruit3D
    @Al3xand3r:  I like the thought, but I'm 16 and hes in his mid fourties.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @R3cruit3D said:
    " @Al3xand3r:  I like the thought, but I'm 16 and hes in his mid fourties. "
    I don't get it? What does that have to do with anything? Maybe it will have a hint of nostalgia for him?
    R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R3cruit3D
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @R3cruit3D said:
    " @Al3xand3r:  I like the thought, but I'm 16 and hes in his mid fourties. "
    I don't get it? What does that have to do with anything? Maybe it will have a hint of nostalgia for him? "
    Well as soon as i posted that i realised that there are many gamers old and young that play that game, it's just not my thing, and i doubt it's his. tbh i just sorta threw the idea out of the window because i just associate mario with my (earlier) childhood, I'll look into it more.
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Punch-Out!! Simple controls, easy to learn, gets fiendishly difficult. Great game.

Of course, there's no co-op mode, but there is a split-screen VS mode, and the fights in the single-player mode are short enough and fun enough to watch that you can take turns without it feeling like you're just waiting for your shot.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Okay... Well I guess the prequisite here is violence and guns if Mario doesn't apply. How about Metal Slug then? Get it on the Neo Geo section on the Virtual Console, piss easy in easy difficulties and brutal in higher settings. I maintain this type of side scrolling game is perfect for beginners as it teaches most gaming conventions in a friendly manner. Jumps, enemies, rewards, going through levels, bosses, etc. If he understands Metal Slug he can then understand a FPS as Metal Slug in 3D, etc... Though I don't think violence and guns is necessarily what he can get into in his 40s, you could always try a different experience for him, for example Endless Ocean (single player) if he's into those things like my dad is. For other family members (sister, mother?) something like Another Code R (also single player) could work, presented to them as a visual novel to show them games can tell stories and sometimes decently serious ones without outrageous Hollywood style situations with grotesque aliens and gore, while teaching puzzle solving, character interactions, using items, and other such simple elements. If you want to show a more cinematic quality then I would just play one of those games myself in front of them before having them try it out. Half-Life 2's (yes, not Wii) intro sections show a more mature side to gaming than most, I think, or Metal Gear Solid 3 which may appear similar to Rambo to your dad. Wii doesn't make such genres easier to play, a FPS like WaW will still have relatively complex controls, just better/easier aiming. Ghostbusters?

R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By R3cruit3D

wow, thanks for the in depth answers. Sorry bout the late reply I've been looking into Metal Slug and Endless Ocean how are the graphics to that game? I don't mind Metal Slug's being bad as i've read they're direct imports. And i suppose if i want to show them proper FPS's i need to bring them to the computer, 360 or PS3. Thanks again, looking into all the games suggested.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Endless Ocean looks solid, very pretty sometimes with the more impressive creatures, but the sequel will look much better mostly thanks to better movements and behaviour for the species, though it does have more detail too going by the screens and footage. Metal Slug may be old but 2D hasn't advanced that much since its days (decade+ ago), it's still superbly animated, all the sequels reuse many sprites. Maybe blurry.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool

If he isn't offended by some very coarse language, I really suggest House of Dead: Overkill.  I am 49 and play it with my 14 & 16 year old daughters and we have a great time.  It is an on-rails shooter, so the only thing you have to do is aim the wiimote and press the B button to shoot and nothing more.  It is still challenging and so much fun.  If swearing offends him, disregard.  For the same reason, although I haven't played it (but will), think about Dead Space: Extraction.  It is another on-rails shooter that has less swearing, but a lot of killing.

If you want to try something really different, think about Trauma Centre: New Blood.  It lets you operate on people in multiplayer.  No shooting, but still, very different and very challenging.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

1, The game has to keep a 'pro' entertained. I play a LOT of games for the 360 and PC (and many consoles before it), so the game has to be apeealing to the more serious gamer.
    2, The game also has to teach a novice how to play games. I've been trying to teach him how to play games since the PS1 and had no luck as he always had to look down and ask 'Which buttons <insert button>', which in turn would result in him dying or crashing. As the wii's controller is more basic i thought this console would help a lot.
    3, Has to support 2 people via split screen (or not, but pref not one at a time)
    4, I was hoping for an FPS, not driving as i've been trying with mario karts and the like for years (think crash bandicoot etc). Definatly no serious gamers only genre like RTS.

Wii Sports Resort, De Blob, Dead Space: Extraction (superior to OVERKILL in almost every way), Trauma Center, Endless Ocean, RRR: TV Party, Boom Blox 2, Punch-Out. 

I'd pick Wii Sports Resort. Unless by "the game has to be appealing to the more serious gamer", you mean this:

in which case you cannot be helped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.