Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wiimote being used in non gaming ways. Warning: science stuff.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Let me start by saying I am somewhat of a geek.  Not overly, just somewhat.  As I am prone to doing, I was watching documentaries on Discovery and National Geographic.  I really dig science ones.  This is from an episode of Naked Science and as the videos obviously show, it was about the moon. 

A NASA planetary scientist is discussing all things the moon and there she was holding a Wiimote.  No, she wasn't playing a new game called Moonz from Ubisoft, rather she was using it to "rotate" the moon (you see that towards the end of the first video.  Now you may ask, "why do I care?" and the answer is, I don't, but that geek in me is still amused and somewhat impressed to see Nintendo product in such a way. 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

I love astronomy so gaming plus astronomy is awesome for me. I was highly amused.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

I love using the Wiimote technology for other stuffs.

I considered using it as presenter for one of my presentations, implementing the accelerometer with Prezi slides, but it was just too inaccurate and faulty.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Ace829 said:
    " I love astronomy so gaming plus astronomy is awesome for me. I was highly amused. "
    Nerds and geeks rejoice.  Maybe we have our own version of The Big Bang Theory here and don't know it.  No idea why seeing the scientist use the Wiimote would catch my attention so much, it just did.  It is far better than seeing Jake use his DS in Two & a Half  Men :/
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

It's nifty because it's a readily-available accelerometer containing device with regular ole' bluetooth connectivity.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @AndrewB said:
    " It's nifty because it's a readily-available accelerometer containing device with regular ole' bluetooth connectivity. "
    What other nifty applications have there been and how hard is it to modify?
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NoDeath
    @oldschool said:

" @AndrewB said:

" It's nifty because it's a readily-available accelerometer containing device with regular ole' bluetooth connectivity. "

What other nifty applications have there been and how hard is it to modify? "

Yeah, all you need is a bluetooth connection to get access to the accelerometer data, not too sure about the infra-red pointer. I've seen a couple of videos of people using it to play PC games. Namely Half Life 2

And Dead Space

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Icil

Isn't it weird how we have to warn people about science content?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Icil said:
    " Isn't it weird how we have to warn people about science content? "
    It was more a slight humourous reference to Mythbusters.  I don't think many people avoid topics on science.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By demontium

Another awesome thread oldschool. 

I wish Nintendo would look into this. 

I bet their R&D is, but still, I wanna see my headtracking >.<

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93

I guess visiting a thread related to a page needed for a quest activates that quest. Nice.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " I guess visiting a thread related to a page needed for a quest activates that quest. Nice. "
    Hell you talking about SS?  Am I missing something? 

@demontium said:
    " Another awesome thread oldschool.  I wish Nintendo would look into this.  I bet their R&D is, but still, I wanna see my headtracking >.< "
    I read about new technology that allows you to controls with your eyes - they made a Pong version of it - so that will be the next big thing Nintendo will make mainstream, to which Sony and Microsoft will laugh, hardcore fans will laugh and decry, then it will be a runaway success and Sony and Microsoft will then copy it  :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.