Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WipEout HD

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 25, 2008

The futuristic racing and combat of the Wipeout universe makes its first PlayStation 3 appearance as a downloadable game on PlayStation Network.

Wipeout HD: Fury (DLC) on Playstation 3 Review

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb
    PushSquare (Subscribe)

Wipeout HD: Fury completely overhauls what was already an excellent game. The new modes will entice both newcomers and seasoned veterans by shifting the game’s focus slightly and making the experience much more varied. Couple that with an entirely new single player campaign, 8 new tracks and the extended community features that Studio Liverpool have been patching in over the past few months and you have one of the most complete DLC packs of the year.

Wipeout HD was a massive success when it launched last year, achieving unparalleled reviews across the board from a host of outlets. The Fury expansion pack extends on that with 8 new tracks, 13 new ship models and 3 new game modes. The substantial game changes that the DLC provides are evident from the moment you install the package; gone is the clean white and blue interface and in its place is a glitched black and red dystopia; it’s all a metaphor for what Wipeout HD: Fury is about — gone are the clean races and perfect laps; this is carnage baby.

The three new modes offer a unique twist on the classic Wipeout HD gameplay. With the emphasis on perfect racing lines gone, Fury is likely to entice those who found the learning curve of the original game too steep. New mode Eliminator is all about attacking your opponents and getting points for your efforts. Destroying rival ships will score you bonus points where completing laps will give you much needed health boosts. Here the gameplay is not so much about getting round the track, more finishing at the top of a leaderboard by inflicting as much damage as possible. In this sense it plays very much like a futuristic Destruction Derby, a comparison only emphasised by the inclusion of simple 180 degree turns at the tap of the L1 button. It’s an interesting mechanic which can be deadly when used in the right way. For example, imagine you are the leader of the pack with the Shockwave weapon in your arsenal. What would have been useless in this situation now becomes massively effective. By simply hitting the L1 button you’ll be able to flip your ship around, fire the Shockwave at the pack of ships behind you and quickly flip back around to maintain your position out of sight. A simple maneuver but a potentially game winning one. The excitement is only compounded by playing online where Studio Liverpool’s new badge system and ranking emphasise the competitive nature.

The second game mode - Detonator - elaborates Studio Liverpool’s shift from the perfect racing line. In fact, with the implementation of this new mode Wipeout HD should no longer be considered as just a racing game; for Detonator is clearly inspired by the Shoot ‘Em Up genre. At its core playing like the standard Zones mode, Detonator has a massive twist. I.e. you not only have to keep your ship from exploding, but you also have to deal with the mines on the track. Thankfully, your team’s new Detonator ship is attached with a  futuristic machine gun and shockwave weapon. Pressing Square fires your weapon, where hitting multiple mines with the same round introduces a multiplier scoring system. Thanks to the clever implementation of a reload mechanic, you can’t just simply hold the Square button all the time, you’ll need to time your bursts of machine gun power and also your reloads (with the Circle button). That’s not all though. Hitting the pads on the floor charge up your shockwave weapon. Unleashing this at the right time can be paramount for getting out of a tricky spot or maximising your score. Like the traditional Zones mode, each lap increases the ships speed and the number of mines. It’s not easy but it’s excellent fun and a welcome twist to the Wipeout HD formula. The entirety of the Fury DLC pack could have just consisted of this mode and we’d still be delighted.

Thankfully there is one more mode to speak of - Zone Battle. Despite being the weaker of the three modes, Zone Battle is still an interesting competitive twist on the classic Zones gameplay. Pitting you against seven other players on a Zones track, Zone Battle is a race to the target Zone. As those who have played any Wipeout game will know, Zones gets harder as the game ramps up the speed. This is apparent in Zone Battle. By hitting pads, your ship’s speed is boosted, but your “Zone Bar” is also increased. The Zone bars energy can be unleashed in two different ways - for recovering valuable ship life or boosting forward a few Zones. The emphasis on risk and reward gameplay is particularly clever but we couldn’t help but feel Zone Battle felt a bit unbalanced.

While all these new modes are perfectly retroactive with the game’s current tracks, there are also eight entirely new courses to speak of. They all complement the game’s futuristic aesthetic and feel great. One level takes you through a futuristic journey of a canyon. Achieving high scores on all the courses will require a massive time investment welcomed by fans of the game.

Likewise there is an entirely new campaign with another 80 Gold badges to earn. This alone could take up to 20 hours to complete so we hope we’re really emphasising how much content is available in Wipeout HD Fury.

Couple that with the new community features and an indepth statistics mode which tells you pretty much everything you could ever want to know about what type of Wipeout HD player you are and you have the perfect piece of DLC. If you’re yet to jump into the game, or have been waiting for a reason to return, Fury is it.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xandurson

Great review! I've always been a fan of the WipeOut games but I don't have a PS3 so I'll just have to wait.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Diamond

I've been planning on buying this for a long time.  Love WipEout HD but I really wanted more content.  Here's more content.

There have been some incredibly amazing screenshots (photo mode mostly) released of the expansion.  Looks like really great CG.

No Caption Provided

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah, the screenshot from my original review is taken using the game's photo mode. You can have some great fun with that.

This and Shatter are on the Playstation Store today. Could life be better?

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By blackbeard

WipeoutHD is crazy awesome on so many levels. Buying the pack when I get home!

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By NickM

great, review, nice to know that my money was well spent!  (its downloading right now)

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By AndrewJD

Been playin it for a bit. Zone battle mode is great, my favourite mode so far. Awesome DLC!
    However I have been waiting for an excuse to return to Wipeout for a while now, so I may be biased?...

Anywho, BUY IT!!!

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Venatio

I had Wipeout HD on my old PS3 that I had to replace but Im wondering if I should buy it again, I liked it but I had a huge problem with it, it was so damn hard, I wasnt evn that bad at playing the game but I constantly lost even on the easiest setting, I wonder what I was doing wrong

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Venatio: Why would you have to buy it again? It should be tied to your PSN account, which means you can download it again using that account as it will recognize that you've already purchased the game.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio
    @Kamasama: I have another account now too then the one on my other PS3, and even if I did still have my old account, I dont think it would let me download the game again for another harddrive
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Venatio: It would allow you to download it again on another hard drive as I know my brother has done this. I'm not sure why you would make another account and give up everything you purchased under the old one, however if you remember the login information then you can put both accounts on the same PS3.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Venatio
    @Kamasama: Alright, Im gonna try to get my old account back and try it, I only bought Wipeout HD on that account so that was pretty much all I lost
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Venatio: As for the difficulty, turn the pilot assist on. Makes life much easier if you're a beginner (or even an old-schooler).
    simon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By simon1

I was looking at getting a new game to play as I wanted something new as I probably won't get another game Until Halo ODST in September (apart from Shadow Complex), so i decided to get Wipeout HD (which is downloading as I type :-) ).  Any hints will be great.  Also, is it worth playing through the game for a while before getting the fury dlc or should I just get it now?

thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.