Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

The Backlog, Entry 18: Wolfenstein: The New Order

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By VincentAvatar

I have bought a lot of video games; what I haven’t done is beat a lot of video games. For whatever reason, I’ve decided to go back and give some of these games another shot: this is the Backlog.

This Week’s Game: Wolfenstein: The New Order

No Caption Provided

Oh good lord, really? Am I really going to do one of these on a game that came out last year? No. NO. We’re done. I’m not going do this anymore. New plan: write about whatever game interested me in a given week, regardless of age.

This week’s game is still Wolfenstein: The New Order. I’m just dispensing with that Backlog nonsense.

So, Wolfenstein. I have a fondness for Wolfenstein as a franchise, with Wolfenstein 3D being my first introduction to the wild world of First Person Shooters. Kind of apropos, given that it was also pretty much one of the first FPS games made. It was also my introduction to Shareware, because I never actually obtained the full Wolfenstein 3D license, so all I had was that glorious Shareware game to keep me company (see also: Doom, Quake). Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a great game that I could only play at a friend’s house because I didn’t have a computer capable of running it, and the 2009 WolfensteinI missed out on, which I regret. It seemed cool. I totally read the plot summary on Wikipedia, though, so I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what’s been done with the series to this point and I also know who that wheelchair lady and Death’s Head are, and what they mean to newly made-into-a-real-boy B.J. Blaskowitz.

Can we talk for a moment about how amazing it is that the guy who was once basically an animated .gif at the bottom of the screen now suddenly has character motivations and inner monologue and observations on man’s inhumanity to man and, of course, a ladyfriend with whom he has what is definitely the most tastefully done sex scene ever put into a game. In a word, he has depth, which is generally not something that one finds in FPS protagonists. Really, from what I’ve played so far the story itself is a bit more than one finds in the average FPS, and certainly vastly more intricate than I expected a Wolfenstein game to have.

I'm a real boy!
    I'm a real boy!

But it’s not all about the story. It’s about ethics in games journalism gameplay as well. The New Order touts a mixture of action and stealth gameplay that, quite frankly, I didn’t at all believe would work. Imagine my surprise when the promised stealth gameplay not only existed, but was surprisingly well-done and satisfying to play. Add it to the pile of “I wasn’t expecting to find that in a Wolfenstein game” features that The New Order has. The gunplay is predictably satisfying, which I mean, if you’re going to make a Wolfenstein game, please make sure the guns feel good. The auto shotgun, in particular, is the most fun I’ve had with a shotgun since Halo. Enemies are tough (but not too tough), and encounters know juuuust when they’re about to overstay their welcome (I also wasn’t expecting a Wolfenstein game with quiet moments).

This is a game that shouldn’t be good. The fact that it shipped without multiplayer means it shouldn’t be successful. I think that the ability of the developer to focus on just the campaign is what gave it the ability to be so great. I hope that the success of The New Order (It was successful, right? Of course it was) means that the single-player FPS will be a more viable option for developers in the future. I think I could get used to more games like The New Order in my life. I’m gonna go play it some more right now!

Stay tuned, because next on my list of things to talk about is Puyo Puyo Tetris. Not here, though. Somewhere else. Next week? Let’s say next week.

Hey, did you miss me while I was gone? I missed me while I was gone. I also recorded a few more podcasts. If you ever wanted to know what it sounds like when you are shouting into the void and nobody gives a fuck, give it a listen! It’ll make you never want to try podcasting yourself, and that is a service I am happy to keep providing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

My game of the year. The gunplay was my favorite since F.E.A.R. and the presentation had all the ex-Starbreeze flair I was hoping for. Cool characters, a fun story, and a bunch of kick-ass action.

Great game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The fact that it shipped without multiplayer means it shouldn’t be successful.

I wish people would stop saying this. Bioshock 1 and Infinite and this all shipped without multiplayer and they're all fantastic and successful, so clearly you can release a ten hour single player shooter with no multiplayer component and have it received well. You just have to make it meatier than your average single player shooter - make it a bit longer, put something in it you can upgrade, give it some replayability of some sort.

In any case, Wolfenstein is one of the best shooters released in years and I can't wait to see what Machine Games does next.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.