Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

I wanted to go back to it, but I can't...can I?

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Mars_Cleric

It has been a long time since I played WOW, like I stopped just after Burning Crusade came out and I never bought it. 
    But watching the Quick Look for Cataclysm gave me an urge for it. I don't know why, it just did. 
    I can't get back into it now...can I? 
    I mean, when I bought WOW it was on about 5 discs and I don't know where they are now so I'll have to buy it again. 
    Then there are what, three expansions now? So now this urge I had would cost me a lot of money and I don't know if it's worth it...probably not. 
    Still...I kinda wanna play it. 
    urgh...

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mars_Cleric

It has been a long time since I played WOW, like I stopped just after Burning Crusade came out and I never bought it. 
    But watching the Quick Look for Cataclysm gave me an urge for it. I don't know why, it just did. 
    I mean, when I bought WOW it was on about 5 discs and I don't know where they are now so I'll have to buy it again. 
    Then there are what, three expansions now? So now this urge I had would cost me a lot of money and I don't know if it's worth it...probably not. 
    urgh...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

DON'T GIVE IN! FIGHT THE URGE! 

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    "DON'T GIVE IN! FIGHT THE URGE!  "

There's a point in every man's life when he gets certain urges...
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Supermarius
    @Mars_Cleric:  you can buy the previous expansion at deep discount and you could definitely go back. The reason you shouldnt is that wow is so good that it will become the only thing you play and you will waste all of your time in it. You will stop actually being a gamer because you are just playing it. Also your personal life will suffer.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Gizmo

I was up until 6am levelling my Moonkin a couple of nights back...

Don't return!

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shirogane

I just came on here from Ashenvale, no, don't do it.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @Gizmo: 
     I'm up to about 4am most nights anyway just coz I can't sleep

@Supermarius:

I live in Australia so everything is expensive forever

If this was cheaper I would be kinda into buying it... 
    it's a shame that that's pretty much the only reason other than the part where it would eat up my life and I'll never have any social life. 
    but it's mostly the money...honest
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rattle618

You can scratch the wow itch on a private server for a few days, they all suck and it will help getting over the urge :P

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

Sports jerseys on a video game site?  Talk about targeting the wrong demo.  

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @ninjakiller:
    I like sport, just not american sport
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    "

urgh...

"
    I think that if you still have your log-in information you can just download the game from your page. Actually I'm definetly right about that since that's what I did when I reactivated my account (I have all discs and expansions up to Lich King but the DVD drive in my laptop is broken). 

I started playing maybe half a year after Burning Crusade came out and stopped on April 13, 2009, I remember it because it was the day before the Uludar patch. A year and a half later I'm back and the game has changed a lot. I sorta had to relearn my Paladin as well as redestribute any talent points, it was a drag and I was much more excited for the new content so I started a new character. 

And that's really the way to go I think, especially if you've been away from the game for so long it's going to seem impossible to get back into a higher level character. You'd have to place a bunch of talent points and there are probably a ton of new skills that weren't around back in your day. Nope, starting anew and relearning your class (or a different one) is the best choice. 

So yeah, if you manage to get your old account back try that for a month without any expansions, or maybe just go for a free trial. The trial will definetly help you see if you're still into it or not. 

Edit: Also, sorry for giving you advice on how to get back in it :)
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @RockmanBionics:
    thanks for the advice, mate 
    even if it was to get into it :) 
    I may give it a try
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Arbie

Do you have £35? Do you have will power to say no when login says yes? Then hell yeah you can go back to WoW!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karkarov

Honestly getting the original client is nothing, like Rockman said they will probably let you download it from the account pages for free once you rebuild your account in their stupid idiotic system anyway.  Why do I advise against going back though?  Simple.  It is not the same game anymore, no, it isn't don't try arguing it is.  Classes are so different now on every level some of them don't even have the same power meters anymore, forget about builds, tons of new and removed abilities, complete gear itemization overhaul, macro issues, group mechanics in a party aren't even the same anymore, and the list goes on and on and we haven't even mention all the required modding now.  You would literally have to restart and learn the entire game from scratch.  Not to mention yeah buy 3 expacs.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @Erzs: 
    35 pommy pounds is still about 80 Aussie dollars and surely it'll be more than that, if not it may be more feasible

@Karkarov:

The relearning stuff isn't a problem, like I said before I stopped playing just after the first expansion came out so I've completely forgotten everything. 
    So if I were to go back I'd start from scratch anyway, it doesn't bother me much.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I kinda sorta started along the path to reactivating my account. 
    I haven't put any money on it yet but I did download the client and I don't know what I'll do next. 
    I'm scared...
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By FlipperDesert
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " I kinda sorta started along the path to reactivating my account. I haven't put any money on it yet but I did download the client and I don't know what I'll do next. I'm scared... "
    Two words: Troll Druid. Their new forms are pretty cool.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By melcene
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " I kinda sorta started along the path to reactivating my account. I haven't put any money on it yet but I did download the client and I don't know what I'll do next. I'm scared... "
    I'm sure that most people here who play WoW would be willing to Scroll of Rez you.  Basically it gives you a free 10 days, but you can decide during that time if you want to come back.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hexx462
    @FlipperDesert said:
    Two words: Troll Druid. Their new forms are pretty cool. "

This.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mars_Cleric

What am I doing...
    itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By itsmadness
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
     What am I doing... "
    Haha. I was thinking the same exact thing 3 days ago when I started to re-download the game. God damn it...
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By rjaylee
    @Mars_Cleric: Yikes. I had to pretty much look the devil in the eye and say no to returning to this game. I believe it was a few weeks ago that Blizzard was offering inactive accounts and Battle.Net accounts that didn't have WoW on them some INSANE discounts on previous expansions. I believe it was vanilla WoW for $5, Burning Crusade for $5, and then Wrath of the Lich King for $10. 

I was terribly tempted to take up the offer on Lich King as it was the only one I was missing, but I knew that was just going to be the gateway to me spending all my money and time into WoW again when Cataclysm was to be released... so I stared that evil motherfucker in the eye and thankfully had the willpower to say NO.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mars_Cleric

okay so I did the smart thing (if there is such a thing in this situation) and gt a 10 day trial of The Burning Crusade so maybe I'll get my fix and stop again... 
    or...I'll end up buying something... 
    only time will tell
    unordinarily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By unordinarily
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " okay so I did the smart thing (if there is such a thing in this situation) and gt a 10 day trial of The Burning Crusade so maybe I'll get my fix and stop again... or...I'll end up buying something... only time will tell "
    And he was never heard from again.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @unordinarily said:
    " @Mars_Cleric said:
    " okay so I did the smart thing (if there is such a thing in this situation) and gt a 10 day trial of The Burning Crusade so maybe I'll get my fix and stop again... or...I'll end up buying something... only time will tell "
    And he was never heard from again. "

NO! 
    I got out...just 
    on the 8th day of the trial I somehow managed to play from about 8pm until the sun came up again at 6am so I decided that it was time to stop again 
    although it was a fun ride while it lasted I don't think I have the constitution for it
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand you people. I've been playing WoW on and off since months after the game came out, and I have never felt like I was doing something wrong. Seriously, if you can't just play a game in moderation, seek professional help. If you're scared that logging into WoW will make all your time disappear, then sell your PC, sell your consoles, and just get out of gaming. There is absolutely no reason to play WoW day and night over any other game or to choose playing over any other activity unless you have a problem

Yes, I have played WoW into the wee hours of the morning. I also did the same thing with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood last night. If I had something to do in the morning, whether I was playing WoW or AC, or any other game, I would have gone to bed. If you can't display that amount of control over your own psyche, then you don't need to be playing any game whatsoever.

WoW is not the problem. YOU are the problem. 

The only difference is that WoW is designed to give you an infinite amount of things to do while other games on the market eventually end. That is the only difference between World of Warcraft and a $60 game on the Xbox 360. It's designed that way to justify the monthly fee, and the monthly fee pays people to continue making the "infinite" content.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By csl316

Stay away, i've heard too many people shamefully admit they can't stop and disappear for weeks. 

And it's never "i love every minute of it!"  It's mostly, "what was I thinking?"  Take that subscription money and get some cheap used games off amazon.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Subjugation
    @Supermarius said:
    " @Mars_Cleric:  you can buy the previous expansion at deep discount and you could definitely go back. The reason you shouldnt is that wow is so good that it will become the only thing you play and you will waste all of your time in it. You will stop actually being a gamer because you are just playing it. Also your personal life will suffer. "
    This.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By j_drace

I hate topics about WoW addicts returning to the game, but I love reading the posts because it shows how pathetic the idiots are who play this game.  Actually I just like any topic when people talk about addiction because it shows how weak minded they are.   Only in WoW will someone take pride in saying that they played the game for three days straight without no sleep.  One of my really good friends was a WoW addict and for a while he suffered a lot.  It was like he was going through withdrawals it also pretty much ruined his life until he quit playing it. 

PS:  I also hate it when people say addiction is a disease, it's not.  It's just an excuse for people not wanting to admit to themselves that they are in fact weak, vulnerable, and pathetic.  Also this was such a random post.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @animathias:
    @j_drace:
    lol 
    well, I was never really an addict but I just think WOW had enough draw to keep me hooked for a long time and the fact that I would want to play it for a long time would mean I would also be spending $15 a month on it which is still the main reason why I wouldn't go back to it. 
    especially when I could be playing better games
    lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By lazyturtle
    @Karkarov: Restarting and learning the game from scratch sounds fun...like getting a whole new game!
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By melcene
    @lazyturtle said:
    " @Karkarov: Restarting and learning the game from scratch sounds fun...like getting a whole new game! "
    It actually is... It makes me want to play all lowbies. :)
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karkarov
    @melcene said:
    " @lazyturtle said:
    " @Karkarov: Restarting and learning the game from scratch sounds fun...like getting a whole new game! "
    It actually is... It makes me want to play all lowbies. :) "
    Playing through as a new toon in all the seriously overhauled zones is actually pretty nice.  The leveling is much much faster than even in lich king, the quests are considerably better laid out, and the variety - fun of it is vastly superior to the old.... old world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.