Will Pandaria be the end of WoW

  • 138 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#101 Posted by Hunkulese (2786 posts) -

People like to bitch. Was there really anything they could have announced that people wouldn't bitch about? People have been bitching about every expansion yet they still have around 11 million active subscribers. When you're dealing with that many people even if 1% of the them are complaining it's going to sound like a massive wave of angst.

#102 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

Conflict between alliance and horde doesnt mean it's going to be PVP focused. It's talking about Garrosh Vs Varian. The playerbase has minimal impact on the lore of WoW. Major lore moments will always be decided by major lore figures.

Did you ever play on a pvp server? I felt bad for the Alliance during Cataclysm. Honestly they didn't even have to bother trying to complete the molten front quests. They were slaughtered the moment they tried to come out of the safe zone. Same thing during the leveling right after the game hit. Alliance here is outnumbered by 15-20:1 now. So the new zone setupt with more "enemy contact" is going to be awfull.

#103 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@Deleth said:

@BionicRadd said:

Conflict between alliance and horde doesnt mean it's going to be PVP focused. It's talking about Garrosh Vs Varian. The playerbase has minimal impact on the lore of WoW. Major lore moments will always be decided by major lore figures.

Did you ever play on a pvp server? I felt bad for the Alliance during Cataclysm. Honestly they didn't even have to bother trying to complete the molten front quests. They were slaughtered the moment they tried to come out of the safe zone. Same thing during the leveling right after the game hit. Alliance here is outnumbered by 15-20:1 now. So the new zone setupt with more "enemy contact" is going to be awfull.

Sounds like a PVP server to me. The one I leveled my first 60 on, Stonemaul, was pretty Alliance heavy at the time. It sucked, I switched to a PVE server, it stopped sucking. Only people PVP servers are good for are asshats that like to corpse camp people.

#104 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@Deleth said:

@BionicRadd said:

Conflict between alliance and horde doesnt mean it's going to be PVP focused. It's talking about Garrosh Vs Varian. The playerbase has minimal impact on the lore of WoW. Major lore moments will always be decided by major lore figures.

Did you ever play on a pvp server? I felt bad for the Alliance during Cataclysm. Honestly they didn't even have to bother trying to complete the molten front quests. They were slaughtered the moment they tried to come out of the safe zone. Same thing during the leveling right after the game hit. Alliance here is outnumbered by 15-20:1 now. So the new zone setupt with more "enemy contact" is going to be awfull.

Sounds like a PVP server to me. The one I leveled my first 60 on, Stonemaul, was pretty Alliance heavy at the time. It sucked, I switched to a PVE server, it stopped sucking. Only people PVP servers are good for are asshats that like to corpse camp people.

Well the server I was playing on was actually fun during BC and Wotlk. Untill faction change hit. In BC it was 45:55 H:A. During Wotlk it became 55:45 H:A. Well then faction change hit and now the Alliance is outnumbered 10-20:1. I and some of my friends were desperate enough to level Alliance alts during Cataclysm. But Alliance here is pretty much dead, faction change was a horrible idea.

#105 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Not even close.

#106 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

WoW's not going anywhere, and I'm really hoping that those people that are on WoW STAY on WoW. Being the biggest MMO means you attract the broadest range of crybabies, rejects and assholes the internet has to offer. However, it also has the great side effect of leaving the rest of us to enjoy other equally good games. Can't wait for GW2 myself.

#107 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@BiG_Weasel said:

WoW's not going anywhere, and I'm really hoping that those people that are on WoW STAY on WoW. Being the biggest MMO means you attract the broadest range of crybabies, rejects and assholes the internet has to offer. However, it also has the great side effect of leaving the rest of us to enjoy other equally good games. Can't wait for GW2 myself.

hahaha. Yea, because the community in Guild Wars wasnt full of trolls and idiots, too? I am looking forward to GW 2, but it's non-subscription MMO, if it doesn't end up being full-on F2P. Those games attract trolls like no other.

#108 Posted by Razorlution (186 posts) -

Nope, there will be atleast 3 more expansions

#109 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Certainly not. It's just the influx of new players is no longer larger than the bleed-off. Which has been so since early into Cataclysm - and Pandaria just doesn't bring the goods to change that. The WoW phenomenon is over.

I don't know what it would have taken to get me back on board, a non-kung-fu panda scenario would have helped a lot. Oh well - I had my fill of WoW and it was a great ride. Times change though, and MMOs currently just don't fascinate anymore as much as they have.

It'll take a technological leap before living in cyberspace will again be as attractive as it was during the early days of WoW, respectively of MMORPGs in general - for those who have been immersed in the genre sooner then the emergence of WoW.

#110 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

Decided to pick it up, haven't played WoW sense the beginning of Cataclysm (got my horde resto druid to 85, did some dungeons then dropped it), and I've probably played for a good, I dunno, 10 minutes. I'm not sure what it is but it's just not clicking, maybe it has to do with the new skill tree's feeling lackluster to what I was use to? Having to re-setup addons all over again? Being guildless?

Either way unless something changes I might not even level up to 90 before dropping the game, which would be a shame, I honestly wanted to see what Blizzard did with the scenario from a first person perspective.

#112 Posted by gamefreak9 (2371 posts) -

I know nobody will read this, but Blizzard is not randomly adding pandas... it was one of the main characters in the Frozen Throne. Brewmaster Shen, it was literally a panda that said "for pandaria" when prompted to take action. Blizzard is staying true the lore, though tbh MMO's destroy lore.

#113 Posted by Slaegar (726 posts) -
@gamefreak9: Brewmaster Shen was hardly a main character. He was a joke character that was only available on multiplayer maps as a neutral hero character. Pandarans were not in the single player game at all. 
 
It wasn't bad enough they added pandas but they reek of bad Hwah Hee Yah karate kid garbage. They could have did something interesting with the more Chinese inspired setting, but they chose to lean hard into kung fu panda. 
I picked up a month a WoW to play before Pandaria came out so I could get one last huff before they polluted the air completely.
#114 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2190 posts) -

MMOs are Serious Business.

#115 Posted by gamefreak9 (2371 posts) -

@Slaegar said:

@gamefreak9: Brewmaster Shen was hardly a main character. He was a joke character that was only available on multiplayer maps as a neutral hero character. Pandarans were not in the single player game at all. It wasn't bad enough they added pandas but they reek of bad Hwah Hee Yah karate kid garbage. They could have did something interesting with the more Chinese inspired setting, but they chose to lean hard into kung fu panda. I picked up a month a WoW to play before Pandaria came out so I could get one last huff before they polluted the air completely.

what are you talking about? he was the third companion in the FT orc campaign.

#116 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Nope.

Nopey nope nope.

Nope and noper.

No.

#117 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I don't really think WoW will ever end, I think that there will always be users playing it, and Blizzard will always make profit.

A typical WoW player goes hysterical whenever Blizzard announces an expansion anyway.

#118 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

Cataclysm was the start of the decline, and Pandara is clearly part of that, but WoW's not going away. It's been bleeding players for awhile and it's still more popular than every other MMO in the west put together. WoW will still be around in 20 years, just like how UO is still around now.

#119 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@llamaegg said:

Decided to pick it up, haven't played WoW sense the beginning of Cataclysm (got my horde resto druid to 85, did some dungeons then dropped it), and I've probably played for a good, I dunno, 10 minutes. I'm not sure what it is but it's just not clicking, maybe it has to do with the new skill tree's feeling lackluster to what I was use to? Having to re-setup addons all over again? Being guildless?

Either way unless something changes I might not even level up to 90 before dropping the game, which would be a shame, I honestly wanted to see what Blizzard did with the scenario from a first person perspective.

simple fixes to all your problems. 1. Read what the changes to the skills were for and how they work now. 2. Addons are for every game and if you QQ over curse.com and clicking 1 button to download an addon then you dont need to be playing with them. 3. Find a guild? they are spamming everywhere for wanting people to join guilds.

#120 Posted by kindgineer (2768 posts) -

@BoG said:

Let's be real. WoW is the most popular MMORPG ever, and even with so many imitators, it's still the best. The user base is huge, and I'd guess that those complaining are a minority. Even if a few people leave, the game will go on for who knows how long. However, because Blizzard does such a good job of making these games, the haters will probably end up staying due to the enhancements being made in the expansion.

WoW will never die.

Can't be said any better.

#121 Edited by RuthLoose (820 posts) -

If Diablo III didn't kill that company's reputation, I highly doubt Mists of Pandaria will change or hurt WoW in the long run. Besides, they have another 14 or so expansions to catch up to EverQuest Classic.

#122 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

MoP so far is pretty good! It's quest lines and overall detail far excel that of Cataclysm, IMO.

#123 Posted by Gruff182 (862 posts) -

No, because vocal minority.

Theres not been a single expansion without the same or similar amount of whiny assholes. I pick up the expansions play for a few months, level up, get a set of the current PvP gear, beat some fools and quit happily.

The biggest complaints I've seen with this and carrying on from Cata is the fact that content is too easy or its too easy to obtain gear/mounts/rep. The reason why normal people don't want to play MMO's is because of the insane grind and their complaining because the grind is getting less?

If they want to grind for a few weeks just to get that flaming dagger they can do one, I've got other shit I like to do. Mechanics wise, it's the best the game has ever been in. People always harp on how vanilla was the best and its gone down hill, need to remove the rose tinted glasses.

As for the pandas, they fit in the world perfectly. Theres ALWAYS been plenty of dumb slapstick shit. Plus, their pretty cool and the new zones art is the best its been.

#124 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

No.

#125 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Gruff182 said:

People always harp on how vanilla was the best and its gone down hill, need to remove the rose tinted glasses.

No glasses. I preferred 40 man raiding and the world PvP that actually existed. So many Tarren Mill and Tyr's Hand encounters.

#126 Posted by Dark (390 posts) -

@Sooty: Go play Scriptcraft, I did, remembered how slow and boring Vanilla was.

Its a very vocal minority as people who are actually playing it are saying its much better so far, SO FAR. When you hit 90 you don't just do heroics (or attempt to as they where so hard in cata) there is actually a fair amount of other stuff to do.

Heroics have been made seriously easier, challenge modes apparently replace the challenge of the old heroics.

Rep grinding is no longer done through dungeons so you have to actually do dailies again (not that I enjoy this part)

The usual profession grind, farmville ripoff stuff.

The thing that has turned out to be MUCH bigger than everyone figured, Pet Battles. My god, they are stupid addictive and there is so much to do without them alone.

These are the things off the top of my head, being a high end raider we are currently gearing and rep grinding for raids readyness and we wont be ready in time. There is quite a large amount of stuff to do this time around.

#127 Edited by Rafaelfc (1382 posts) -

I wish WoW would die a beautiful death, not because I hate the game or anything, but because Giantbomb streaming the end of WoW would be a fantastic momentous and memorable experience, I bet

#128 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

WoW will die when Blizzard goes under.

#129 Posted by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

An issue with a lot of MMOs is the "end game" is lacking where many games often put the player in the ironic situation that the higher level they get the less there is to do. A specific issue with WoW is that although they have a lot of "end game content", it is often quite aggressive and advanced. Mists seems to be trying addressing this where there is far more stuff at the cap that is not hard core raiding. I've played this game for awhile and it is still boggling how much any player can get access too when they hit 90. I don't know if this scheme will work but it is at least better than the "more levels/zones/dungeons/raid content expansion".

#130 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1008 posts) -

So far I've been having a blast with MOP. In my opinion, Blizzard's still got it and the crack that is WoW is still addictive. 

#131 Posted by Slaegar (726 posts) -
@gamefreak9 said:

@Slaegar said:

@gamefreak9: Brewmaster Shen was hardly a main character. He was a joke character that was only available on multiplayer maps as a neutral hero character. Pandarans were not in the single player game at all. It wasn't bad enough they added pandas but they reek of bad Hwah Hee Yah karate kid garbage. They could have did something interesting with the more Chinese inspired setting, but they chose to lean hard into kung fu panda. I picked up a month a WoW to play before Pandaria came out so I could get one last huff before they polluted the air completely.

what are you talking about? he was the third companion in the FT orc campaign.

Okay you win on that front. I guess he was an optional companion in the bonus campaign. I forgot that level existed since it wasn't very Warcrafty. It felt almost like pre-wow or diablo.
#132 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

Perhaps this is the wrong place to express a pro-WoW opinion, but I think MoP is fantastic. Blizzard clearly learned their lessons from what fans didn't like in Cataclysm and rectified them. Pandaria is beautiful and packed with content. This last week I've barely been able to peel myself away. It's as addictive as ever.

#133 Edited by Giantstalker (1688 posts) -

I find this all very interesting, as I've recently had a devastating week in EVE that has honestly made me want to quit for good and just move on.

I used to play WoW, but stopped in '08. Mists of Pandaria seems silly, at least from the outside, but if the quality's there that won't be a serious issue.

Online
#134 Posted by Tebbit (4472 posts) -

@nerdsbeware said:

@Barrock said:

I don't get people who complain about silly shit being in WoW. The best part of WoW IS the silly shit.

Yea, I mean with all the goofy inside jokes, NPC's named after movie & TV characters, quests themed after other games... why is this so crazy. I mean hell there was a quest where you had to feed an animal, so it would shit, and then loot the pile of shit. People just like to complain.

WoW went off the "weird shit" rails in Warcraft III for christs sake. In many ways WoW is only just catching up.

Of course in other ways (like motorbikes), they really did push the boat out. I think some people want a World of Warcraft based on Warcraft 2 - and even then, those Ogres were doofy as hell.

#135 Posted by takayamasama (442 posts) -

Nope, as someone who has played since classic, this has been the best expansion they have put out, in quality, quantity of stuff to do, and so on. And based on the forums/other player's opinions, it is generally very highly received. Cataclysm wasn't that bad, but it didn't have that feel of exploration and braving the unknown that expansions before it had, and Mists brings that back and more so.

Having a blast with it and I don't see that changing any time soon.

#136 Posted by Spitznock (551 posts) -

Both by terms of mechanical improvement as well as storyline, WoW still has plenty to expand upon. As long as people remain interested (and they are), I see no reason for Blizz not to continue to put out expansions.

The quality of the content in MoP is higher than we've ever seen from WoW (save for the raids which I haven't seen yet and therefor have no business commenting on), so it isn't like they're just milling out schlock just to cash in on their games fandom as it might appear seeing that the game has been going on for almost 8 years now.

The environments and tone seen in MoP are so wildly different than anything seen before that it almost feels like a different game. If the Pandaren are what's killing it for you, you should give em a chance. I went in completely uninterested in them, but now I firmly believe they fit the aesthetic better than any other existing Warcraft race could have, and I like the idea of the race finally getting the spotlight after only being hushly hinted at since the RTS days.

Apologies for the tangent, but I figured I'd share my 2 cents.

#137 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

Crack is crack duders

People aren't going to stop smoking crack.

#138 Posted by ttocs (767 posts) -

Look at the original Everquest. That game is still putting out expansions and people are still playing. WoW is going to be around for a long time, even after Blizzard makes their new MMO. There will be a bunch of other expansions as well because people like myself and the millions still playing will continue to buy them.

#139 Posted by Paulyp14 (1 posts) -

The end... Not even close! What I can say is I (for the first time) bought a guide for MoP.. And it not only got me too tier status in my guild, it gave me storyline fillers that the game only touched on.. I'm def sold on WoW guides in the future for their story fillers (don't wanna spoil anything) but def not the end of WoW Here's a brief view of what I'm talking about (link to the guide) http://c8169lkgsxxqdmdk-az-pkgdwu.hop.clickbank.net/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.