Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 13, 2014

Allowing players to enter the past and tread the world of Draenor before its destruction, the fifth World of Warcraft expansion brings a level cap increase to level 100, a new world, and another graphics engine overhaul.

Facing harassment. Is there a Giantbomb Guild?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone! So I decided to get back into world of warcraft after quitting near the end of WotLK. I'm having fun but I've sort of lost some of my will to play as I've been harassed twice in two days already for being a woman while doing dungeon finder. Most recently was when I was having trouble healing Dire Maul North because enemies can stun healers for up to 4 seconds, mortal strike tanks, and hit for like 1000 damage, all of which the party leader (who was a rogue) ignored and decided to attribute it to me being a woman instead of the heirloom tank insisting on chain-pulling the entire dungeon. Also wanna note that we hadn't died, just had a close call on a boss the tank pulled two trash packs with.

So ANYWAYS. Is there a giantbomb guild? I'd like to have a safe space to level up and not be shit on for being a woman.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That really does suck.

Right now, I don't think the GiantBomb guild is active. I don't play WoW, so I can't say for sure. Though, I am positive, if you make a recruitment thread for a new guild, people will be flooding in to join your guild.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never touched World of Warcraft, but there absolutely HAS TO BE a woman-friendly guild out there. If the Giant Bomb one isn't active anymore, I'm sure you can find one on Blizzard's forums, or through Facebook or something.

I just found these resources:

Here
    Here
    Here
    Here

Hope that helps.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I don't get how they knew you were female. I played WoW for many years and don't think I ever openly revealed my gender unless I was among friends.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@huntad: @fallen189: Voice chat? Blizzard profile? What does it matter? It's not her fault for being a girl, it's their fault for being pricks.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: First of all, I don't understand how you obtained information claiming that I said it was her fault. I was perplexed that they knew her gender, because it was so easy to be anonymous when I played. I was not aware that there were profiles for blizzard accounts (there were not when I played WoW). Information on a possibilty has been given to me, so thanks. I'm going to assume you weren't being rude and actually wanted to know why it matters to me. Well, as i said, it was very easy to remain anonymous on World of Warcraft, so I was curious how they found out her gender given that she did not reveal it as I hadn't.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just a heads up, expect that sort of treatment pre-heroics. In my time, even as a male, doing anything with the LFD/LFR opens you up to insults & slander. I'm majorly a tank, and learning boss tactics/strategies when they were new to me was an utter nightmare. Making a mistake was akin to murdering an innocent person it seemed.

I know your pain.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I played WoW nobody ever had a problem. The guild I was in was 50/50 or so women and men but even random stuff it was never an issue. For the most part nobody will know either. So it's pretty surprising to me you say you're having problems with that. Guess the games demographics have changed? Anyway... Wouldn't somebody need to know what server you're on for a guild, or has that changed?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@huntad said:

@the_nubster: First of all, I don't understand how you obtained information claiming that I said it was her fault. I was perplexed that they knew her gender, because it was so easy to be anonymous when I played. I was not aware that there were profiles for blizzard accounts (there were not when I played WoW). Information on a possibilty has been given to me, so thanks. I'm going to assume you weren't being rude and actually wanted to know why it matters to me. Well, as i said, it was very easy to remain anonymous on World of Warcraft, so I was curious how they found out her gender given that she did not reveal it as I hadn't.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be that saucy towards you specifically. It was the other person's comment that really riled me up. Apologies for being such a jerk-ass. Still, it's sad that the proposed solution for these situations is basically recommending that someone hide something that's not in their control from other people.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By huntad

@huntad said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be that saucy towards you specifically. It was the other person's comment that really riled me up. Apologies for being such a jerk-ass. Still, it's sad that the proposed solution for these situations is basically recommending that someone hide something that's not in their control from other people.

It's all good, dude. No hard feelings or anything. I kinda figured where you were coming from, and I actually totally agree with you. It's sad that it can come to this, but even more ridiculous that it happens in video games.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@strangestories: I've never touched WoW but I wish you luck in finding a guild/people who aren't idiots.

Maybe don't bring up your gender

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? She isn't waving a flag stating her gender, being able to tell the difference between a male and female voice over headsets isn't hard. You going to tell me she shouldn't use a headset next?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@fallen189: Hi, maybe don't victim blame here? Just a thought. She is looking for help not yet more criticism.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strangestories

@huntad: My player's name incorporates my real name into it because I didnt think I'd get harassed this much. They assume from the name and gender of my character then attacked me for having trouble healing.

It basically went like this:

Player 1: "_______ must be a woman."

Player 2:"Why does that matter?"

Player 1:"Because she can't heal"

Player 2:"We haven't died, how does it matter?"

Player 1:"It matters because I'll kick you and you'll have to wait in the RDF queue for another 45 min so shut up."

Player 2:"Fine."

Except it didn't stop there because Player 1 insisted on attacking me at every opportunity until I left the group during a boss encounter when he was sitting there shit talking me instead of fighting the boss.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maginnovision

@strangestories: I might also suggest this isn't just a female thing. This is an MMO thing. Anybody who is perceived as not doing things 100% gets people talking shit. You might just be taking it more personally than you should because they're suggesting it's because of your gender. I'm sure you can find a guild to play with though that won't be so critical if that's what you need.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strangestories

@maginnovision: except the person was calling me a bad healer because I'm a woman and stated I was a woman at every opportunity. I'm pretty sure I was being attacked for being a woman.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangestories: That's what I'm saying. They're using that as the reason which is why you're taking it personally. It's not ACTUALLY about that. It's about them being dicks and thinking you're not playing perfectly. It's just like if you had your name as gayman, they'd say it's because you're gay and like dick.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly a mod can just lock this down now if they want, I'm going to stop paying attention to it. Thought I would share an experience I had that's made me not want to play anymore and ask for some companionship from other people on giant bomb. Obviously not enough people play for that to matter and people are just trying to be assholes. Thanks.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangestories: Ah, okay. I was curious, and now I understand. Well, I hope you find a guild to join. I had a guild that was accepting of anyone, and it was cool. It takes a while to find people like that sometimes, but I'm sure they exist. It sucks that you went through that, but it is common and sometimes unavoidable. I would have assumed the GB guild would still be somewhat alive, but maybe not? Keep looking though. Don't give up on it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Locked on request. Try to be nice, folks. She was just looking for a friendly guild.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.