Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Help Please

Avatar image for buchinylordoftaco
    BuchinyLordOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BuchinyLordOfTaco

OK, so i picked up WOW some time ago, and almost always play a Hunter, so DPS is all i've ever done, so i decided to play either a healer or a tank, i can't choose.
    So my questions are:
    should i heal or tank?
    which one is easier for a newb at both like me to learn?
    which race should i choose?
    which class should i choose?
    what spec?

thank you guys for your help!

BuchinyLordOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BuchinyLordOfTaco

no one? damn.......

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

Are you planning on playing Horde or Alliance?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

isn't this a question better answered by a dedicated warcraft forum? 

when i used to play i used to get information like this from elitist jerks. that site still around?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You should tank if you want the easier role.  If you're alliance, a Draenei is good for Paladins and I think DKs, and a Human if you're a Warrior.  Although it really doesn't matter all that much.  On horde, probably a Tauren for DK/Warrior, and you have to be a Blood Elf for the paladin.  I haven't played in like 6 months, so this may not be still true, but Paladins were the best tanks when I left, but it could be completely different now.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Whichever you like the most. That's the only answer.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

Oh man, if all you've ever effectively played as is DPS, I can't say that it'll be smooth sailing when you transition into healing, or even tanking.  I'd suggest healing, as I've experienced some pretty unforgiving tanking both as a healer and DPS.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By animateria

Both are the worst possible classes you can pick. Talk about a major headache, I was a tank, and I quit because I was a tank. Healing isn't an easy job either. 
    Ranged DPS is so laid back...

Where was I? Oh, you can always roll pally and roll both classes.

I rolled a pally and AOE tanking makes group tanking much easier, and raids always look for a Healing pally thanks to our crit heals.

No other class can tank and heal at the... Well, I guess Druids could sorta do that.  Pfft, nature lovers.

Oh, and I might have retired but it's FOR THE HORDE! to the end.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By cornbredx
    @BuchinyLordOfTaco:

Never saw this. 

Ive been playing a healer in WoW for about 4 years now. Both things you want to get into are hard, and not just because theres alot to learn about them but also because you'll often get people who will tell you you suck when you dont play 100% perfectly. Theres alot to know. For instance with a tank you will have to learn aggro management, stats needed (which at end game will mainly come with the gear you get so just get tank gear and you should be ok there) and focus to make sure you have the attention of anything unexpected. 

As a healer you do have a bit of an easier job in that you just watch health constantly and throw heals. Depending on what healer type you are will depend on how you heal, and really you learn this by playing the class. I play a resto druid so my focus tends to be alot of Hots. I dont know much about priest healers, I tried to play one but they are hard to level as at start they can be slow going. The choice is yours though, with healer your biggest concern at first will be mana management and not overhealing (which can increase your aggro and you dont want that). You have to balance keeping dps alive with your focus being on the tank must be healed at all times and for the most part this should be known among the players, although some will still be unaware of how to play and blame you if they die because you chose to do the smart thing and heal the tank before them. 

Leveling as either tank or healer, is not something I recommend. I would suggest suggest leveling as dps then respeccing to healer at whatever point you feel comfortable being able to always get a group. Once you choose to be healer or tank you wont be doing anything alone (well you can, but it will be slower to kill stuff). 

Anyway, I play Resto Druid with an off spec I switch to when needed of Boomkin (but im geared for heals so my dps isnt the best). Not sure what all you need to know, everyone has different opinoins on whats best to choose but realistyically there is no "best" its really how well you play it. With tank I have found troll to be the best as they have higher health regen to begin with so it feels like less down time at the beginning. Thats just my experience though. 

Edit: oh and my opinoin is skewed on healer as I play druid and have always loved it as a healer. So obviously id say druid  healer if asked but again thats based on my experience playing =P
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NoXious

Go Paladin if you ask me, I played it and it's great if you can't decide to heal or tank.
    From personal experience a very good tanking class, depending on your preferred style of healing a decent class.
    I hate how you constantly have to heal as a paladin where a druid just has to keep up HOTs (I have a Druid/Paladin both on 80) but the druid is a 'terrible' tank due to being a dodge tank with ICC.

Race depends on faction - do you have a personal preference?
    If you're going Alliance, Draenai is the best for paladins (+1% hit, which'll save you a bunch of hit rating) although I hate their animations. Humans will be my fav alliance race.
    Horde is Blood Elf only, or Tauren if you're waiting for Cataclysm.

As to the role it really depends on your own personal style, I loved tanking because you're basically the one in control. Mob position / priority and how the pull goes etc.
    Healing always feels very submissive since you're not really having a direct input.

Aether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aether

Just gonna give a basic run down of the questions you have been asking and my experience. 

should i heal or tank?  
    Tanking was the easiest transition for me and started when BC came out. I too played and hunter and still do. I went to Druid and Pally tanking. They are the easiest of all of them since WoW is mainly about AoE tanking in heroics. If you intend you raid the AoE is a bit lighter especially in Icecrown but in terms of accessibility i would say Pally or Druid.  
    Healing was a difficult transition for me mainly because i don't really enjoy it as much. If you cant take criticism well maybe healing and tanking are just bad for you since either one will always get blamed. Druids are mainly about healing through HoT's while the other classes are about direct heals. Druids can take a bit to get used to since your heals wont come right away and you will have to trust that your hot's will heal. And if you are unsure and start spamming your direct heals you can easily oom yourself.

which one is easier for a newb at both like me to learn?  
    I would definitely say tanking is relatively easy to pick up if you play one of the easier tanks. Pally>Druid>DK>Warrior. Each has their strengths but i feel this post will be long enough and if you want me to elaborate i will later.

which race should i choose?  
    Human tanks are very nice with their free trinket which can save you if a mob stuns and you lose all your mitigation and get bursted. Trinket the stun and you should be fine. Horde dont exactly have anything comparable but they each have their utility. Taurens still have great health and their AoE stun which i did enjoy when i tanked with my Tauren warrior. Again lots of minor differences here. 

which class should i choose?  
    Like i said before easiest skill barrier would be either pally or druid. They are also the most annoying to level. Pallys get to essentially auto attack to 50 until they get crusader strike. This is of course assuming you level ret. Druid have it slow until around 20 when they get cat form. Then you have little downtime and eventually get mangle which is very nice for leveling. 

what spec?      
    Obviously each one has their very prominent tank tree. The only one that doesnt is DK's but even now they are either stuck into blood for self healing or you can see the occasional frost spec. Blood is probably the easier spec. 

If you need more in depth info feel free to ask. I have been playing since WoW's release and have a fairly good knowledge base of each of the classes. As always there are other sites such as the WoWWiki for other general information that can help you.

towly177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By towly177

you should heal, because there are barely any healers anymore, and plus for a tank you need to focus on aggro more, but on healer it is extremely easy.

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By voodooterror

both are pretty easy tbf, and if youy've got the in-game gold for it, you could duel-spec a paladin to do both. 

i will say this tho, there is a lot of pressure on the tank and one slip-up or loss of aggro will mean that throughout the rest of the instance, everybody will tell you how you should do everything haha

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By demontium
    @BuchinyLordOfTaco said:
    " OK, so i picked up WOW some time ago, and almost always play a Hunter, so DPS is all i've ever done, so i decided to play either a healer or a tank, i can't choose. So my questions are: should i heal or tank? which one is easier for a newb at both like me to learn? which race should i choose? which class should i choose? what spec?  thank you guys for your help! "
    Go horde 

DK pally blood elf. 

Now you will win the game until they patch this class.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60

Be a pally.

BuchinyLordOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woah, awesome tips, thanks guys, i think i'll start a human pally (actually i happen to have one laying around for about a year now :D) and try tanking, if i get bored, or if it's too much for me to handle i'll try a healing class or respec. thanks for all the helpful info guys (and gals)

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @CL60 said:
    " Be a pally. "
    yeah then you can try both
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @BuchinyLordOfTaco said:
    " no one? damn....... "
    It takes time for people to view and decide to reply. I on the other hand am different - hated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.