Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Is it to late to get into WOW?

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Drizzle

WIth the new cata beta out i really started wanting to hop into this game but i feel the barrier of entry is way to high for me to even know where to begin. None of my friends play WOW or video games for that matter so i'm not sure if its worth hopping in for soloing

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Gav47

I was wondering this too.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ErrorOperator

It would be best to wait until the expansion comes out, most of the oldworld is dead and not very fun.  

EDIT: 

Also Blizzard are constantly making changes to the game that makes it faster and easier to start, they've added more tutorials for the starting zones which makes starting even easier!

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Drizzle

I'm dling the trial as we speak, i just need people to play with to at least show me the ropes

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

It should be pretty easy to just hop in. They made leveling a whole lot easier. And with that dungeon search tool it will be simple for you to get into dungeons.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#6  Edited By Jazz

I'll say this once. 
    Don't. It's not worth the time and the effort. 

If you're dead set on it, wait until the expansion, or try the trial.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yes

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Drizzle

I don't have the time to get to lvl 80 in three weeks or however long it takes the hardcore to achieve it, i have a job and im in college so i just wanted to be able to play this casually as it looks interesting

Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Donkey

A lot of the old stuff will probably end up feeling dated for new players. If I were you, I'd wait for Cataclysm.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By DukeTogo

Wait for the expansion.  You don't need to own anything but the original game to get all the new content in the old world, with the exception of the races in the expansions.  The changes being made are for everyone, especially new players.  The 1-10 game is going to be far better and easier to grasp then, currently it's changed very little from 2004 and it shows.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mattalorian

Absolutely not. The starting zones are most definitely not even close to dead, and if anything, the barrier for entry is lower now due to a ton of user-friendly enhancements, such as the Dungeon Finder (that allows you to queue for dungeons/instances anywhere, with people from other servers), and faster leveling. World of Warcraft IS the greatest MMORPG on the market, and it's only getting better and easier. And really, now's your only chance to experience many of those locations - after Cataclysm, Azeroth is getting some major changes.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Drizzle

Is it easy to just party up with players in the new player zones, also what character/race should i try in the trial?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Lunar_Aura

The social horror stories related to this game and any MMO discourage me from even using the trial. What kind of thing can turn a fairly responsible, functional person into an MMO obsessed mess is something I'm curious about but might fall victim to.

Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Donkey
    @The_Drizzle said:

" Is it easy to just party up with players in the new player zones, also what character/race should i try in the trial? "

Try it all, see what fits you. Some classes may seem similar to each other, but they really define themselves later in the game. 

@LunarAura said:
    "

The social horror stories related to this game and any MMO discourage me from even using the trial. What kind of thing can turn a fairly responsible, functional person into an MMO obsessed mess is something I'm curious about but might fall victim to.

"
    It's all mostly sensationalistic over-exaggeration. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think it's too late to get into World of Warcraft at all. It takes less time to level up than it used to and most of the mechanics should be pretty familiar to you if you've played an MMORPG before.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By vager

I'd wait till Cataclysm is released. When that happens, try to persuade a friend to play with you. The game is 10x better when your with friends. 
    Expect to spend a lot of money buying the expansions as you get to max level. Probably will be $80+ US, depending out how quickly Blizzard puts the current expansion on their battlechest pack.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Drizzle
    @JacobBrodersen said:
    " Have you ever played a MMO before? if not, everything will feel new to you, and it'll properly be overwhelming at first, but if you simply focus on doing quests, and leveling up, the game will hand hold you all the way to lvl 80 :) Oh, and coming from an lvl 80 ICC raider, who has on/off played the game since original release, I'm super jealous of you trying all the old content for the first time.  "
    The only MMO iv'e ever played was Ragnorak Online and i enjoyed it for the time i played
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Ryax
    @Jazz said:
    " I'll say this once. Don't. It's not worth the time and the effort.  If you're dead set on it, wait until the expansion, or try the trial. "
    is this an anti wow statement or a wait till cat statement
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Jeffsekai

Considering you felt the need to ask, yes.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Laksa

i just resubbed today. Laksa on draka horde side. hit me up if u decide to roll there

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#22  Edited By Jazz
    @Ryax:  
    I'm not Anti WoW, but If someone asked me 'Do you think it's a good idea to play WoW' I'd say no.  
    I wouldn't stop someone playing it or call them stupid for playing it, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to play it. 
    I don't think it's worth the time and effort that you put in...but that's just my opinion.

As to waiting...personally I'd wait for the expansion..but If you've never played before..would it make a difference?
    apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By apoptosis61

game in general isnt challenging and every expansion downgrade the game

i recomment you to w8 until diablo 3 comes out

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryax
    @Jazz said:
    " @Ryax:  I'm not Anti WoW, but If someone asked me 'Do you think it's a good idea to play WoW' I'd say no.  I wouldn't stop someone playing it or call them stupid for playing it, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to play it. I don't think it's worth the time and effort that you put in...but that's just my opinion. As to waiting...personally I'd wait for the expansion..but If you've never played before..would it make a difference? "
    ok. but yeah starting now or later isnt going to make a difference because either way, you have to level up some where
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By adoggz

ah, it is never too late to get into any videogame (so long as it is active). In fact the rorcraft video got me thinking enough about it to finally recover my account that i had forgotten about, go figure it used my gmail didn't think i had one back then. I was thinking about maybe going back in for a bit but apparently i don't have any characters anymore so i guess i wont do that. But it is wow if anything it is easier to get into now then it was.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By BeachThunder

Sigh, I can't believe I was thinking the same thing too after watching the quick look thing.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Go for it.  You sound like your into the game for all the right reasons op.  Mainly the social aspect.  Its still a lot of fun to level and make builds with friends.  Certain classes go great with certain others.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch13696
    @The_Drizzle: It's a lot better if you do have people to play with. Or talk to during the game. If you do happen to want to jump in then find a guild that will accept new players and has a Ventrillo server. Every time I find one of those it gets a lot better because you're not alone at playing a game that's supposed to be multiplayer. Then I end up jumping off once a good game comes out and don't go back to WoW for a long time. 

But if you feel that you can't afford the game but want to play some of WoW then find a private server. You'll get most of the same experience minus Achievement syncing on Giant Bomb, Armory, use of the apps on the iPhone, a few more bugs and glitches, and other stuff.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ninjakiller
    @ErrorOperator said:
    " It would be best to wait until the expansion comes out, most of the oldworld is dead and not very fun.   EDIT:  Also Blizzard are constantly making changes to the game that makes it faster and easier to start, they've added more tutorials for the starting zones which makes starting even easier! "
    @DukeTogo said:
    " Wait for the expansion.  You don't need to own anything but the original game to get all the new content in the old world, with the exception of the races in the expansions.  The changes being made are for everyone, especially new players.  The 1-10 game is going to be far better and easier to grasp then, currently it's changed very little from 2004 and it shows. "
    Both wrong.  I haven't played in 2 years and even I know the time to play is now.  You want to get a character at cap for the expansion.  You don't have to do quests anymore to level either.  With lfg across realms you just instance level now.   It is like crack cocaine though, I've been clean for 2 years and keep thinking "maybe I should reactivate"  best to never start, but if you do just jump right in. 
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @ErrorOperator said:
    " It would be best to wait until the expansion comes out, most of the oldworld is dead and not very fun.   EDIT:  Also Blizzard are constantly making changes to the game that makes it faster and easier to start, they've added more tutorials for the starting zones which makes starting even easier! "
    Exactly just wait for the expansion as all of the Azeroth will be re-populated just like when WoW was first released.
    bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bunnymud

I just picked up the Battle Chest and WotLK expansion (thanks for the Cataclysm walkthrough GB) after 5 years away from the game.  I don't know what I've done.  I won't be playing with people I know so I'll be going in fresh.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Metroid545

If you want to yeah

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IBurningStar

I am going to agree with some of the others in here and tell you to just wait until Cataclysm. The game in it's current form is a bit tricky to get in to and is a lot to take in. And when Cataclysm hits they are changing so many of the little details and mechanics that it will just frustrate you to have to relearn everything after you just finished getting your head around the original concepts.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TomA

On the contrary actually, with Cataclysm, it's a great time to start playing, well, when it comes out of course.

Also, who are you hanging out with? They dont play video games, that's just weird, almost everyone under 30 who I know plays video games at least a little bit of the time.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Supermarius

Don't do it. Wow is too good. It will eat up all your time. When you play wow you don't play anything else. You stop being a real gamer cause you just play that one game. If you raid for gear one day you will regret all the time you pumped in.

Also, hey guys, Do you think it's too late to start cocaine? I mean i hear its really good, but its so 80's isnt it?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mazik765
    @LunarAura said:
    "

"
    As someone else said, it's mostly overstatements or people who don't know how to control themselves. I used to play and admittedly it passes time REALLY quickly, but I quit with no real trouble, and might get back into it later.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By sjschmidt93

Not really. Money would be the only factor, it'd be probably around $100 for vanilla and all three expansions once Cata launches. Not that that's bad.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Castro

You should go ahead and start playing now. If you are worried about everyone else being better than you because they have been playing for six years or whatever, don't. I don't know dick about WoW (and I still don't) and I got to level 80 and had a fantastic time. You'll meet good people and they'll help you out. Unless you're an ass. If that's the case, you'll probably have a pretty bad time.

Once Cataclysm comes out, most people, regardless of how long they've been playing, will be starting a new character. That might be a good time to get in as well. Personally, I would suggest that you go in now so that you can see Azeroth before it gets all blown to hell. I haven't played the game in a year or so, but I totally plan on going back when Cataclysm hits to see what kind of changes have been made.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 71Ranchero

Start playing soon if your going to. Dont wait for Cataclysm because you will be missing out on one of the largest things it will offer. If you never got to see how the world was before then it wont be as big of a deal after they change it. If your concerned with being less "skilled" or something then dont. Just find a good guild(easy to do) and ask questions. Stick with one class at first until you get the hang of it. 

spncr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spncr
    @Atramentous: I was going to also say wait till Cataclysm but that actually is a good point.  

I'd give it a try now and if you like it, by the time Cata rolls around you could reroll another character and get to experience all the new content, as well as the content that is already in the game that will be changed.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Burns098356GX

I'd say if you want to start, start now. Try to be level 80 for when the expansion drops, then you'll be on par with everybody else.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spaceturtle

I actually bought the game about a couple of months after release, but I never installed it and I don't really have any plans of doing so now. But, I must admit, after checking out the "QL" of Cataclysm, I kinda wanted to try it out.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

Nah, you could totally play a little before the expansion. It's kinda dry compared to the new stuff, but it'll be cool to see all of the changes. It'll never really be 'too late' to get into WoW, until the game has a foreseeable ending point, anyway.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SlasherMan

Not too late, but don't expect to see many people in the leveling areas. It'll actually feel pretty desolate especially since there is no global chat channel (since the last time I played at least), but on the bright side, finding people to go into dungeons with is usually a breeze thanks to the dungeon finder.

Anyway, if you're interested, give it a try, it's not too late.

ShowMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShowMeister

Is it ever too early to quit WoW?

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By illmatic19

Can I just start with the expansion? Or do I have to play through BC and Lich King?

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By xXwindoverXx

it is NEVER to late to get into World of Warcraft :D

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By DoctorWelch

I would say its not too late as long as you find a friend or two to play with because I tried to go back and I just felt like there was no one starting new characters. Also, it is a bit depressing that you have missed all that original, burning crusade, and lich king end game stuff because once cataclysm comes out, that stuff is going to be obsolete. Those are the two reasons that I am not getting back into it. 

But actually, if there is anyone wanting to start playing WoW or at least make a new character I am seriously considering jumping back in and making a new character. So pm me or something if your interested.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.