Why is there not an X-Men RPG?

#1 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I mean like you're chillin out at home one day, pourin out milk or whatever regular Heavy Rain shit, then fuckin Beast n NightCrawler bust through your wall like YO HEY GUESS WHAT, YOU'RE A MUTANT OH SHIT.
 
Then you live at Xavier Acadamy and do a bunch of weird training exercises with Cyclops to see what your powers are (by which I mean you pick your powers) and go out n be your own X-man. You make your guy at the start n make it look like you, then you make your crazy outfit later n develop yourself as a badass.
 
When you think about it that's what X-Men is all about. It's about random average joes who find out they can turn into wind or whatever. So it's really surprising that nobody's made that game yet.

#2 Posted by MrCaptain (369 posts) -

Play Champions online and /ignore everyone so it feels like singleplayer? 
 
Seriously, I don't know why not, seems like an obvious cool game idea.

#3 Posted by Unchained (1090 posts) -

That's a great idea for a game. I'd play it.  
 
I guess the closest thing X-Men has come to in terms of RPG is the X-men Legends series on the last generation of consoles. It was definitely more action-rpg though. But you got to choose the progression of powers and stats, and you were deciding who is in your party. 

#4 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Um the last Xmen game was an RPG. You're asking why team Persona isn't making an Xmen game where you form a social link with Jubilee? I couldn't say.

#5 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

I'd be down for an x-men rpg

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Didn't they just announce a Mass Effect style X-men RPG yesterday? 
The name escapes me, but it's being developed by Silicon Knights.

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" Didn't they just announce a Mass Effect style X-men RPG yesterday? The name escapes me, but it's being developed by Silicon Knights. "
We'll talk about that in depth 10 years from now when it comes out.
#8 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -
#9 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

Is RPG to videogames as Rock is to music? Two genres that are way to generalized and hold different definitions to different people.

#10 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

Yeah yeah, I can get behind that.
 
Espeically if it was made in the style of Freedom Force.

#11 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Yea X-men Destiny just got announced but nobody knows what it is yet.
 
I hope it's this, but I bet it's gonna be another boring diablo thing.

#12 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" I mean like you're chillin out at home one day, pourin out milk or whatever regular Heavy Rain shit, then fuckin Beast n NightCrawler bust through your wall like YO HEY GUESS WHAT, YOU'RE A MUTANT OH SHIT. 
Time to start checking the expiration dates on the milk more closely. 
#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@I_smell said:
"Yea X-men Destiny just got announced but nobody knows what it is yet.  I hope it's this, but I bet it's gonna be another boring diablo thing. "

We don't know what the actual gameplay will be like no, but it is heavily story based, single player and relies on the player making choices to 'make their destiny'. 
 
To me that sounds like Mass Effect, not a Diablo style loot grinder.
#14 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

Here is what you do for the next X-Men game

You release downloadable games that tell how the character joined the X Men (X Men:Wolverine,X Men:Storm,X Men:Jubilee,etc.charge $10 each ($15 for Wolverine) and then you release the big retail game about them kicking ass together as a team

#15 Edited by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -

@generiko said:

Here is what you do for the next X-Men game

You release downloadable games that tell how the character joined the X Men (X Men:Wolverine,X Men:Storm,X Men:Jubilee,etc.charge $10 each ($15 for Wolverine) and then you release the big retail game about them kicking ass together as a team

I hate you. I really, really do. Because this might become a reality.

#16 Edited by RedCream (694 posts) -

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse is an action RPG.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.