Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360 games for "new" gamers? not kids...

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Long story short I got my gf an arcade a week ago, target was having a really great deal. The bundle with viva pinata and banjo. I traded in my 360 for the slim but saved my 120gb HDD.

She got into viva pinata, I guess. I fell asleep, but she did get 2 achievements somehow. I also gave her sega superstars tennis I got with the live compilation disc but that game was mehhh.

Anyways, I am asking because I am having a hard time thinking of a game she could possibly play without being frustrated. I dont want to just throw kiddie games at her and see if she can play those. I'd rather give her something that has some actual narrative and is genuinely interesting. I was thinking maybe an RPG, but I dont think its the controls that get in her way. Its more that newer gamers have trouble accepting and understanding how games work and function. I asked this same question in the PS2 forum when I gave her my old PS2 and got some ok responses, but the PS2 library is a lot larger and a lot cheaper. I played persona 4 with her a lot, but once she tried to start a game of her own the game mechanics of the RPG genre frustrated her. The knowledge we take for granted is essential for playing games like persona even if it seems simple to us. She has no idea what an RPG is so she has to start at square one, the same way I did when I was a kid, but I had more time and a greater fascination with video games than she does.

Sorry to ramble, but can anyone think of something. An XBLA game might work too. I was thinking the maw, but the puzzles in that use game mechanics she wouldn't understand yet to be honest.

I googled and the popular responses are Viva pinata, Rock band, Lips, Beautiful Katamari, and DDR. Not what I was looking for. But if she needs to play a kids game to get introduced to games than thats fine, but I was hoping that there is something out there she can play. If she gets frustrated early on she'll just ignore it to be honest. She played a few levels of We love Katamari, failed, and never touched it again. Maybe Kinect might be the answer, but thats a ways off at this point. She does have a genuine interest in games after seeing how invested I am in them.

theMuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By theMuse

Maybe Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts? Considering how easily she gives up that will probably be too much. I think she just needs to work on her ability to not give up so easily. Also I think 360 was not the right console for this, playing games like Mario are always the best games to start people on.

Also Castle Crashers might be an idea. In fact definitely try that one.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Well, take it from a girl, I'd go for Dragon Age Origins (got a lot of ladyfriends hooked on it, bloody Alistair) if you want something deeper and big for her to sink her teeth in. Put it on easy and let her figure it out (most girls tend to actually prefer the DA system over real time fighting) and chip in when she needs it.

Maybe something like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta (especially that) will appeal to her (be sure to start slow on easy again, or you might end up with a controller in your brain) ?

All I can think of atm, hope it helps.

buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By buwchbach

I was going to say 'Splosion Man, but then I remembered that the last third of that game was excruciatingly frustrating. 
    Portal on XBLA may be a good choice, my experience with other people playing Portal is that they pick it up and love it, or just don't get the mechanics and put it down.  
    I never really liked Mirrors edge, but my sister(Who is not a gamer) really loved it.
    What kind of genres where you thinking about?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrOldboy

She has played a lot of games with me on my wii. I think she wanted the 360 mainly for netflix. She sort of wrote off the wii as I dont play it much at all, in fact I could probably just give it to her. I think she wants to get into the type of games I play, not games that she should probably play. She didn't want a Wii at all.

Dragon age might not be a bad idea, but it might be a bit complex. I was also thinking Fallout 3.

I think the simplest genre for her is an RPG, but definitely not a direct control one, which is why dragon age might not be a bad choice. On easy I cant imagine she would have to manage the other party characters much at all.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mwng
    Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Noxpectius

I'd go with Fable II. Its pretty much tailored to be user friendly (one button combat, breadcrumbtrail, basically no deathpanelty, etc.) Its easy for new gamers to get into, but it gives a full gaming experience.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrOldboy
    @Noxpectus said:
    " I'd go with Fable II. Its pretty much tailored to be user friendly (one button combat, breadcrumbtrail, basically no deathpanelty, etc.) Its easy for new gamers to get into, but it gives a full gaming experience. "
    Ahh, I didn't even think of that. I can just give her my copy and see what happens. She even asked about Fable 3, I have no idea. Maybe Molyneux got to her when we was watching the press conference.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ectoplasma

Well. I think your girlfriend will get the skills playing an RPG quick enough if she's really interested. I having similar thoughts here. The game my gf got into and finished was "Plants vs Zobmies". So I would advise for that one. And if you have a PS3 make sure to get heavy rain.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jack268

I was thinking Mass Effect? It has a capturing story and it's a really solid RPG. But at the same time, the combat in ME1 was quite frustrating. And it keeps those RPG elements to a minimum. I believe anyone can understand that "HEY SWITCH ARMOR OUT GET PROTECTION VS THIS LOSE PROTECTION VS THIS".  

Also, Batman Arkham Asylum maybe? On easy it is VERY simple in my opinion.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ptc

XBLA: Peggle, Space Invaders Extreme - maybe Feeding Frenzy too.  Kind of a kid's game, but actually a lot of fun. 

Retail:  Alan Wake.  Seriously fantastic narrative and easy gameplay mechanics.  Good tutorials on how to play.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By endaround

I guess I'd need to know more about where the problem she had with Persona 4 was. I ask because Viva Pinata is not a simple game.  Was it that the learning curve on SMT games is fairly steep?  FFXIII may work out then.  That said DA:O on easy may very well be the way to go.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrOldboy
    @endaround said:
    " I guess I'd need to know more about where the problem she had with Persona 4 was. I ask because Viva Pinata is not a simple game.  Was it that the learning curve on SMT games is fairly steep?  FFXIII may work out then.  That said DA:O on easy may very well be the way to go. "
    She got through the training stages with some help and kinda got how combat worked in turn based rpgs, but once the fighting became a bit more complex. i.e. she had to understand how to test out certain spells and see if there was a weakness. A simple thing like that becomes confusing to someone who hasn't played an rpg before or a strategy game. She just thinks why isn't that thing weak to fire its wood...stupid! Which it kind of is stupid, but we accept it because that would just make the game too simple if it burned.

With Viva Pinata, I think the mechanics make much more sense. i.e. the shovel is used like a tool to do things that you might expect it to do in real life. You have to put grass down, ect ect. And the tutorials in that game are insanely helpful when compared to a game like persona which expects you to understand how to play a JRPG. Viva just flat out stops and says hey, you should do this...like now.

Anyways I'll give her a few games Fable 2 and I'll see about DA:O after that maybe.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Jack268 said:
    " I was thinking Mass Effect? It has a capturing story and it's a really solid RPG. But at the same time, the combat in ME1 was quite frustrating. And it keeps those RPG elements to a minimum. I believe anyone can understand that "HEY SWITCH ARMOR OUT GET PROTECTION VS THIS LOSE PROTECTION VS THIS".   Also, Batman Arkham Asylum maybe? On easy it is VERY simple in my opinion. "
    I disagree with this guy. Mass Effect is an alright game and all, but the first one has clunky combat and once you become a specter the game gives you little info on what the hell you're supposed to do. I've been playing games for years yet I had trouble knowing what to do next after the citadel, so I could definitely see a new gamer being like wtf? Also the inventory system is kinda odd and the RPG elements make the combat frustrating (I'm aiming right at it but I keep missing!) which a new gamer won't understand. 

Fable II is as good an idea as any so far, Mirror's Edge is awesome but it can be VERY frustrating, even on easy. I tried to get a girl to play Fallout 3 but she could not get used to the dual-stick controls. She had 0 gaming experience though so that was probably a lot of it.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Fable 2 is the only rpg I can think of where it had a good story and definately a simple and fun way of attacking enemies just by pressing one button. Molyneux pretty much made the game so simple to play and the fact that it's impossible to die means she can't possible become fustrated because it was too difficult.
    sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sarge1445
    @MrOldboy:  my good man lips and singstar girls love them hell im a grown man and i love them next is mario galaxy
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 5

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

In terms of RPGs Fable II sounds like the best bet but I hear Alan Wake also has some very good narrative without combat that's too demanding. If she wants Xbox LIVE Arcade games I say get Uno, Space Invaders Extreme, Boom Boom Rocket or Peggle.

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GrandpaJelly

What types of games is she interested in? I would start with that.  
    Most ladies I know love the Zelda games.  Paper Mario 1 and 2 are really cute and simple, I think the first one is on the Wii shop.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrOldboy
    @sarge1445:  She has like 5 singstar games on PS2 so thats a given. But SMG, she didn't like it at all, mostly because of the complex platforming plus the moving with left hand and aiming with right. Although she was playing it on my save which was a ways past the beginning so she might have picked it up easier from the start. But on platforming games there is no difficulty settings and SMG is not an easy game.

Zelda might be a good choice, pretty simple stuff but I only played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Maybe it got more complex after Windwaker.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I'd definitely reccomend Oblivion. 

Anyone can generally get into that, and its cheap these days too!

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By simian

I've only played a little bit of V.P but I'm thinking that something with little to no-HUD and less with linear gameplay and more sandbox?
    I'm inclined to agree with B&K:N&B but the vehicle building may put her off a bit. A better choice would be Castle Crashers since the artwork is great but it also teaches the basic control schemes that the majority of games adhere too.
    Also puzzlequest because it's awesome.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lucifer
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " @Jack268 said:
    " I was thinking Mass Effect? It has a capturing story and it's a really solid RPG. But at the same time, the combat in ME1 was quite frustrating. And it keeps those RPG elements to a minimum. I believe anyone can understand that "HEY SWITCH ARMOR OUT GET PROTECTION VS THIS LOSE PROTECTION VS THIS".   Also, Batman Arkham Asylum maybe? On easy it is VERY simple in my opinion. "
    I disagree with this guy. Mass Effect is an alright game and all, but the first one has clunky combat and once you become a specter the game gives you little info on what the hell you're supposed to do. I've been playing games for years yet I had trouble knowing what to do next after the citadel, so I could definitely see a new gamer being like wtf? Also the inventory system is kinda odd and the RPG elements make the combat frustrating (I'm aiming right at it but I keep missing!) which a new gamer won't understand.  Fable II is as good an idea as any so far, Mirror's Edge is awesome but it can be VERY frustrating, even on easy. I tried to get a girl to play Fallout 3 but she could not get used to the dual-stick controls. She had 0 gaming experience though so that was probably a lot of it. "

I agree and disagree. Mass Effect is a great game for girls. Even if the first game is rather clunky. You just have to lend a helping hand now and then. But once they get it all down they are going to love it( Girls love games with character creation). Mass effect 1 is actually the first game ever my older sister has finished all by herself. She even loved it so much she went out and bought ME2 a few days later. Which is great because then I don'r have to waste any money
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

Umm, pretty much any of them.  Most games do a great job of introducing players to the mechanics nowadays, and games are rarely 'complicated' anymore anyways.

Looking at your achievements, I'd say that Fable 2 or Prince of Persia would be a good place to start.  PoP might be ideal in fact.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shadow

I highly recommend The Orange Box.  Not understanding the story of the original Half Life, but that's nothing a wikipedia page can't fix.  That being said, that collection of games (especially Portal) is a great way to get her used to first person controls in a game, which I'm sure she'll have trouble with at first.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lawrens

Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed II and Prince of Persia? ACII was pretty simple and streamlined, it's so automated it's pretty much pointing at a direction holding buttons and occasionally tap them to perform platformings, not to mention the AIs were pretty braindead, it got a lot of praise from everyone since it's focused mainly on the world and story and the combat is something everyone could play.

Edit: and oh yea, portal.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Tasus

Gears of War 2 Co-op, GO!

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mazik765
    @MrOldboy:  Ok first off, both Viva Pinata and Banjoo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are genuinely interesting! How dare you speak blasphemy on their names!

But back on topic: my girlfriend is not a gamer either but when I picked up Resident Evil 5 she loved playing that with me. So my suggestion is maybe get a co-op game that you to can play through together on? I don't know what it was about RE5 but I've done about 3 playthroughs with her and she loves every minute of it. So maybe try that game in case it's a girl thing? haha
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By xMP44x
    Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jasonofindy

While a lot of people have suggested a number of good games, the truth of the matter is that we can't pick the game for her to play.  You will by far have the best luck if you simply let her read about some games and see which ones really interest her.  If she finds a game SHE is truly interested in, she will keep at it even through some difficulties.  In many of your posts, you write things such as "games she should be playing", "games she'll understand", etc.  At this point in time, there are very few games that are complicated enough that an adult with a true personal interest wouldn't be able to figure out and play.  Often when guys seek suggestions for "girl gamers", they are basically writing women off as too stupid or somehow too uncoordinated to play the games the guys like.  This is far from the truth.   It is usually lack of interest not lack of abilities.  This is not a hobby that requires a lot of actual skill to enjoy.   There is no need for "training wheel" games to ease her into gaming because almost all games are fairly casual at this point.  If she truly has interest in playing, she'll be able to find herself a game to play.  If SHE is the one with the interest in the game, then she'll have success.   

To me it sounds more like she is trying out the games more to humor you than out of any true interest in playing.  Since they aren't truly that interesting to her, she is more than willing to stop when there is the slightest bit of difficulty or frustration.  Let her do a little reading and pick a game.  If she is unwilling to put in any time even looking for a potential game for herself, then it seems pretty likely her interests lie elsewhere and she is humoring you or just playing a few games in an attempt to spend some time together with you.  Look for other things to do together and just play games when she is doing her own thing.  

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

You should seek out Beyond Good and Evil.  I don't think the controls are too difficult, but more importantly, the character and storyline are appealing to a wider audience than the "chainsaw gun" demographic.  I know it's a previous generation game, but I think it still holds up.  The suggestions of Fable II and Prince of Persia (the one with Elika) are good, too.  If you want to try something the two of you can play together, the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a good one.  It's got very simple controls (a 9 year old can handle it) and a decent mix of characters, male & female, to chose from.   On XBLA, you might want to look at Castle Crashers.

And don't forget to check out demos on XBL or PSN.  Eternal Sonata might appeal you her or perhaps Civilization Revolutions?  Download the demo and see. 

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By sarahsdad

Story's a good idea, but I'll throw in that it can't take too long to get somewhere. I know my wife will half watch, or listen to some of the games I play, and one of the things that turns her off is a lot of what seems like pointless running around between the interesting story parts.

I know it's not an rpg, but I'm going to suggest a racing game. It takes something that most everyone already knows how to do, and if you get something like split/second, adds in a couple extra mechanics, so it's not just going around and around on a big loopy track. Also, unless I'm remembering wrong, it has local co-op, so you could do a bit of racing against one another.

stoppre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By stoppre

I would say Fable II. Has a good story and there is no real penalty for death. Combat is easy and it also has the breadcrumb trail to keep her from feeling lost or overwhelmed. My gf loved it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Fable II all the way.  I knew a girl who couldn't handle anything video game related, and then I told her to get Fable II and about six months later she was playing Dragon Age.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zombie2011

Fable 2  
    Alan Wake  
    Crackdown 2   
    XBLA games: Risk, Uno, Shadow Complex, Trials HD (it's hard but the mechanics are simple), Splosion Man, Braid, P.B Winterbottom etc.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By zidd

One or more of the lego games.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zidd said:
    " One or more of the lego games. "
    This here be a good suggestion.  The Lego Star Wars games were actually quite fun.  I hear the Batman one is also fun.
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @xobballox said:
    " @Zidd said:
    " One or more of the lego games. "
    This here be a good suggestion.  The Lego Star Wars games were actually quite fun.  I hear the Batman one is also fun. "
    Having played most of them (minus batman and HP), my favorite in terms of gameplay and parody was definitely Indiana Jones 1. That game was freaking hilarious.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead

Just get her what she wants to play. Acting like some games will be too complex and hard for her without even trying is the cop out that's damaging this generation of video games.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fattony12000
    @TaliciaDragonsong: What about some sweet, sweet Garrus (Mass Effect 2) loving? My girl is OBSESSED with his flanges.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sagesebas
    @MrOldboy: if you put it on easy it might be a very good choice, not trying to offend but for someone new it would probably get frustrating on higher levels
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cramsy

Viva Pinata is serious buisness! 

But Peggle would work wonders 

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I bet she'd like Limbo.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By Tordah

Puzzle Quest might be a good choice. It's easy to pick up and play and might serve as a good entry point for understanding basic RPG mechanics, too (levelling up, finding suitable equipment, attribute points, etc).

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Fattony12000: 

Well not much girls are willing to give sci fi a go, let alone hump some alien dude! 
    I love it to death personally, but most people who loved Dragon Age just plain dislike Mass Effect/Kotor because it's sci fi. Shame!
    BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BrokenCage

Honestly, Co-Op games are going to be your best bet to start. You being there while she learns the basics of video games will ease frustration. Borderlands & Left 4 Dead (offline) are good FPS trainers where you can hold her hand and keep her alive. 

Also, I'd say Resident Evil 4 (since you mentioned PS2) and Dante's Inferno/God of War style games would be the best place to start. Either a button masher that she can spam away on, or a RE style shooter that doesn't require run and gun would be the best place to start solo. Remember, the controls are the most intimidating factor to a new gamer, so the less she has to do, the more comfortable she should feel. 

edit: Important note now that I think about it. While games like Dante's Inferno/God of War are good for your girlfriend to play stylistically, it's important that you don't actually let her play Dante's Inferno. If your girlfriend is any kind of girly girl like mine is, she will freak out the second dead babies start popping out of the giant woman's nipples. I'm talking tears.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.