Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360 Limits Video Playback (except Zune Mkt) to 720p

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mordecaix7

I've been wondering why my Netflix has looked sub-par and hasn't output to 1080p since the Metro update. Now I know why. All video content, except for Zune Marketplace, is limited to 720p. Eurogamer.net has an in-depth article explaining the whole thing. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-the-360-dash

The article is very telling how this is a planned move, not something that was done accidentally. This is simply wrong and a slap in the face to their customers.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

I really don't see the point of this, at least not from a business perspective. Surely they'll only lose users on this move, right?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By GS_Dan

Well that's a bit shitty.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikey87144

So what was their hope? "We'll put 1080p on our Zune Market place and call it a feature exclusive to Zune!" How fucking lame and stupid. Hopefully you guys can bring more awareness to this so they put it back to what it's supposed to be.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By CosmicQueso

Sorry, I'm all outta rage this week.

While I appreciate the issue, btween SOPA, PIPA, Nintendo demo download limits, Vita doom and gloom from Japan, DLC rage, pricing rage, and Giant Bomb content rage I'm just pure 100% out of rage. Sorry, just can't rage on yet another topic.

But, carry on. I'll be sure to check in with this next week when perhaps my Rageometer is back full.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

Terrible app updates and now this? Two thumbs up, Microsoft.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I have a PS3 and a monstrous PC hooked up to the same TV as the Xbox.

Amount of shits given: 0

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By butano

I thought Netflix was always limited to 720p, no matter the platform....

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty
    @Butano said:

I thought Netflix was always limited to 720p, no matter the platform....

Late last year it got a bump up to 1080P. (I think) Of course it's 'streaming' 1080P so it's not as good as 720P or 1080P from a Blu-Ray but it's still pretty damn good.

Netflix on 360 is an abomination since the update too.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I also never used netflix on the 360 because its always been terrible. the PS3 version is a lot better.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

...and?

OK, it was a shitty move but it's not like the difference between 720 and 1080 is massive. It's there, but it's not worth exploding over, and the difference can only be told if you're explicitly looking for it instead of just sitting back and enjoying the movie.

Sometimes, I feel like the gamer crowd lost their ability to do that around the time they turned fourteen.

Besides, I'm pretty sure MS had a reason for this. Like, I dunno, reducing strain on their servers or something.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@believer258: But they limit the resolution of files on the 360 itself also. And from that link in the op it looks like they actually took the time to mess it up for no reason because the NXE had no problems with it.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Lemmycaution217

@Zidd said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I also never used netflix on the 360 because its always been terrible. the PS3 version is a lot better.

Well, there was a time when I thought Netflix on the 360 was the superior of the two. That is obviously now not the case.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@believer258: But they limit the resolution of files on the 360 itself also. And from that link in the op it looks like they actually took the time to mess it up for no reason because the NXE had no problems with it.

Ah. So it's a shittier move than previously realized.

Still, when I had Netflix I watched it on the lowest settings on my laptop because my internet connection is lowly DSL. And the same laptop serves as a much more versatile video player (of local files) than the Xbox could ever dream to be. Finally, they didn't change gaming resolution so I didn't have too many shits to give in the first place.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grimluck343

Glad I finally bought a PS3.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By pw2566ch

The only reason why I can see them doing this is for bandwidth purposes. In other words, they have a track record of getting stuff to you quickly. So they would knock the videos down to 720p in order for them to continue their reputation. However, based on the amount of users on Xbox Live, I doubt enough people will complain to Microsoft about this. They're too busy taking shit from 13 year-olds.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MOAB

@Sooty said:

Netflix on 360 is an abomination since the update too.

it's insane that they thought that was a good idea. shows with multiple episodes are a fucking joke now. i've always liked netflix on the ps3 better. i hope they never change it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty
    @believer258 said:

...and?

OK, it was a shitty move but it's not like the difference between 720 and 1080 is massive. It's there, but it's not worth exploding over, and the difference can only be told if you're explicitly looking for it instead of just sitting back and enjoying the movie.

Sometimes, I feel like the gamer crowd lost their ability to do that around the time they turned fourteen.

Besides, I'm pretty sure MS had a reason for this. Like, I dunno, reducing strain on their servers or something.

The difference between 720P and 1080P when streamed is a much bigger deal than 720P vs. 1080P on a Blu-Ray, the higher bitrate helps when there's lots of movement.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aus_azn

I like Metro, but that just sounds stupid.

@Sooty said:

The difference between 720P and 1080P when streamed is a much bigger deal than 720P vs. 1080P on a Blu-Ray, the higher bitrate helps when there's lots of movement.

I agree. Try watching Youtube or competitive Starcraft streams. Makes a world of difference.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

wow that is a pretty stupid move. i don't think people are going to complain about it a whole lot. i don't have a netflix but i have been thinking about getting it. i would use it on ps3.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slaegar

@believer258:

Gaming resolution was always 720p so that didn't change either way.

This sounds more like a bug than something microsoft would do on purpose. This combined with the color issues make me think its an accident.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Justin258

@Slaegar said:

@believer258:

Gaming resolution was always 720p so that didn't change either way.

This sounds more like a bug than something microsoft would do on purpose. This combined with the color issues make me think its an accident.

I know this is splitting hairs, but the Xbox upreses games from their native resolutions (720 in most cases, 540 in a small number) to 1080P. Just a little factoid I wanted to throw out there.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai

@Zidd said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

It used to be better but ever since they implemented the shitty UI they have now I've been not wanting to use it. Would it kill them to add a category section.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.