Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Buying a 360

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Zephyria

Would it be worth it to buy an Xbox 360 for the first time at this point in the console cycle? I've had a PS3 for a long time, and I'm happy with it, although I almost always play single-player. Most of the games I see come out are multiplatform, so I can get them on PS3 or PC, so I haven't seen much of a reason to get an Xbox. I know I'm asking the choirboys their opinion on going to church, but I'll ask anyway. Convince me! ;)

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

Check out a list of Xbox 360 exclusives and if you like what you see then it will be worth it to get a 360.

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3  Edited By codynewill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_(seventh_generation)#Microsoft_Xbox_360

Check out that list--though I'm not sure if it is comprehensive--and if you can pick at least five that you really want, then I'd say go for it. If you can't pick that many, then don't get one. Since you already have a PS3 and PC there isn't much reason to go for an Xbox.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

There are a lot of good exclusives for the 360, but I think that most of them are older releases. If you didn't feel the need for them then, you might not really care now.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By emprpngn

I haven't got one yet, but I'm planning on picking up one of those holiday bundles in the next few weeks (if they're still around). Walmart is throwing in an extra free game on top of the bundled Halo: Reach and Fable III, and a free year of Xbox Live Gold.

Seems like as good a time as any.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NTM

I'd say yes. PS3, and PC are great to play, but I'd say 360 is just as much. Go for it. Just wondering, when it comes to the games, what looks interesting to you?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BionicRadd

something the previously linked list of exclusives does not include is XBLA games and 360 still has a few very sweet games that can only be had on XBLA. Chief among them being Shadow Complex, but there is also Iron Brigade and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games

It might be worth looking at that list and seeing if anything else jumps out at you.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

do you play with friends? i know that you said that you play mostly single player, but it's always great to pick a system where some of your friends are. if so, if you got friends on Xbox then i'd recommend it regardless or exclusives or not. although the 360 also likes to get exclusive junk like shoot 'em ups and awesome downloadable arcade titles.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ptc

I'd say go for it.

• Gear of War, Halo and Fable are great exclusive franchises.  All provide enjoyable single player experiences if that's what you're into.
    • Get a bundle with Kinect.  It may not change your life, but there are a few great Kinect experiences that shouldn't be missed by any gamer (Kinect Sports, Gunstringer, Double Fine Happy Action Theater, Dance Central 2, Child of Eden).
    • Indie Games:  I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the Xbox Indie Games Channel.  Lots of crap on there, but also some true gems.  With a little internet research (right here on Giantbomb too) you can drop only a few dollars for some great gaming experiences.
    Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zephyria

@NTM: I'm mostly interested in XBLA exclusive titles that I've possibly missed out on. Iron Brigade is pretty much what sparked my interest. I play the occasional FPS, but I'm not particularly interested in them. I'd say action-adventure and arcade games would be what I'm mostly looking for.

The big seller for me though would be if there are some must-play RPG's. Games that draw my interest are Lost Odyssey, Fable II (already have III on Steam), and... I can't think of any others.

@AjayRaz: That's just it. Most of my friends have been on Xbox Live for quite a while, but nobody is on PSN and a few are on Steam. I just don't know if it would be worth a Live subscription at this point. It just seems like the online multiplayer for cross-platform games on XBL is more vibrant than PSN as well. I love my PS3 but it's a shame.

I'll probably go ahead and get a good bundle sometime when I see a good sale, but I'm not particularly in a hurry...

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By beargirl1

@Zephyria: what do you mean by at this point? if most of your friends have been playing on xbox live for a while, i'd say it's definitely worth the purchase if you're going to be playing with friends. if not, then i can see why you'd be skeptical. there's not really much of a reason to get an Xbox besides exclusives and (arguably?) higher quality ports in some cases if you're not buying it to play with your friends.

that's just what i think though. i'm someone that believes that games are often best enjoyed with friends (as with everything else) in both single player and multiplayer.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By qawsed

There was some hinting in the Rise of the Martian Bear TNT that Iron Brigade could come to Steam.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

@Zephyria: Seeing as you already have a PS3 I really do not recommend you buy a 360, unless you are very wealthy and can afford to spend a lot of money for little outcome. I once bought a 360 to play alongside my years old PS3, I soon gave it back because there was not that many 360 exclusive games I wanted.

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zephyria

@qawsed: Yes, and I think that it would be perfect for PC. I know I'd get it for sure.

@Hizang: Thank you for the honesty. I actually just took a pay cut, so I probably shouldn't get a new console anyway at this time.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15  Edited By Hizang

@Zephyria: Don't get me wrong the 360 is a great console, but owning both just seems like a silly idea.

I don't know how long you have had your PS3 for, but I'm guessing you have amassed a large collection of trophies, friends and PSN games.

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zephyria

@Hizang: I actually play my PS2 just as much if not more than my PS3. My trophy collection and friend list are both pretty weak, actually, despite owning it for a long time. I just get stuck digging into my backlog on a lot of platforms (PS2, PS3, PC, DS, 3DS, PSP...), so it gets a little neglected!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#17  Edited By Kidavenger

If you have a gaming capable PC, Xbox 360 isn't worth it now, between the PS3 and the PC you may be missing out on less than 1% of games from this generation(excluding Wii), if you can honestly say that you have played everything else, then maybe.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clumsyninja1

Yes, the 360 is super cheap and they have a better catalog of indie games than Sony. Also, try downloading something on the ps3 takes a lifetime.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

@clumsyninja1 said:

Yes, the 360 is super cheap and they have a better catalog of indie games than Sony. Also, try downloading something on the ps3 takes a lifetime.

I've heard this a bunch and have tried to make my downloads slow but I can't. Is it an American thing? I have my PS3s on wired internet and I can download full games, like Red Dead or RE5, in like an hour.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

If you've got the money to blow, then go for it. What sort of games do you play? I noticed you said RPG's, but if you have

I just get stuck digging into my backlog on a lot of platforms (PS2, PS3, PC, DS, 3DS, PSP...)

all of those, then you're covered on RPG's unless you really want to play Fable 2 and Lost Odyssey.

If you've ever shown any interest in cover-based shooters, then Gears of War is also a must. It's often considered the best series of cover-based shooters for a very good reason. Also, it's one of the few shooter trilogies this generation whose single player campaigns still shine as a good reason to get and play it.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By lord_canti

i got one for gears of war games and mass effect 1 but if you like the psn titles the small downloadable scene is a fair bit better on xbox

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If you're on a tight budget or not too thrilled about the exclusives, I say hold off and wait for the next console which will probably have backwards comparability but otherwise, yeah, go for it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Sooty
    @msavo said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

I've heard this a bunch and have tried to make my downloads slow but I can't. Is it an American thing? I have my PS3s on wired internet and I can download full games, like Red Dead or RE5, in like an hour.

Nope my PS3 has always downloaded slower than my 360 or PC (max DL speed is around 2300kb/s), whether the ports are forwarded, wired or wireless...it makes no difference. PSN is just slower for me.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

@Zephyria: Right. OK. Well, there's a few more RPG games and action adventure games out there that aren't on PS3 (yet). One of which is Tales of Vesperia. I haven't really played it, but my brother's beaten it and overall I've heard it's great. I don't think those two games you've mentioned, plus any of the of great XBLA games, which some are already on PSN, is worth a 360.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By kindgineer

Your OP sounds self-defeating. You're happy with a PS3 & PC and not sure about a 360 and haven't really seen much interest in console exclusives obviously. It sounds like you answered your question already...

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kandycane2029

@NTM said:

@Zephyria: Right. OK. Well, there's a few more RPG games and action adventure games out there that aren't on PS3 (yet). One of which is Tales of Vesperia. I haven't really played it, but my brother's beaten it and overall I've heard it's great. I don't think those two games you've mentioned, plus any of the of great XBLA games, which some are already on PSN, is worth a 360.

ToV is a great RPG. Shame the PS3 version hasn't seen a US release yet. Lost Odyssey is also great if you're a fan of turn-based JRPGs.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clumsyninja1

@msavo: I believe is the way the ps3 does it. It happens to a lot of people.

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zephyria

Apologies for reviving an old(ish) thread, but I'm the OP, so yeah. Just wanted to update you all that I took the plunge and got an Xbox! Modern Warfare 3 was my first game, since I know so many people who play it.

Seems pretty alright, little to no annoying children yet, though with my experiences back on Halo 2 on the original LIVE, I'm sure it's just a matter of time, haha.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mfpantst
    @Zephyria: write a blog on your experiences or something.  I kinda want to know what it's like to play another console late in the cycle.  I think to myself every once in a while I should get a ps3, but don't because it's late and I'm happy with my xbox.  So I want to know after a few weeks if you like or regret your decision.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

Edit: crap. Let me post more relevant advice with the update...

The first Gears game was the reason I bought a 360. That's still good, or you could go for the whole trilogy.

Halo 3, ODST, or Reach are all fine single and multiplayer.

Those are probably the obvious ones, but if you bought Modern Warfare 3 and play online a lot, they make sense.

If you want something different, definitely give Alan Wake a try.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Klaimore

Every time someone presents me with a scenario like is I always say exclusives. Check those out and see what you think. Also if you get the chance to get a free Xbox live trial and play some games online, see if you get a better experience.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By Jeust

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Check out a list of Xbox 360 exclusives and if you like what you see then it will be worth it to get a 360.

This completely.

An Xbox 360 won't give you a very different experience from having an PS3. But if you want the exclusives, have the money and desire to do it, why not?

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zephyria

@mfpantst said:

@Zephyria: write a blog on your experiences or something. I kinda want to know what it's like to play another console late in the cycle. I think to myself every once in a while I should get a ps3, but don't because it's late and I'm happy with my xbox. So I want to know after a few weeks if you like or regret your decision.

Hey, good idea. I wanted to do some blog entries but have trouble thinking of interesting topics. It might be more than a few weeks from now since I don't want to judge it based on just a few games.

@AndrewB said:

The first Gears game was the reason I bought a 360. That's still good, or you could go for the whole trilogy.

Halo 3, ODST, or Reach are all fine single and multiplayer.

Those are probably the obvious ones, but if you bought Modern Warfare 3 and play online a lot, they make sense.

If you want something different, definitely give Alan Wake a try.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I definitely plan to at least get Gears 3, maybe the trilogy if I find the campaign fun enough.

Alan Wake, yes, I'll be getting that for sure. Seems to have a somewhat niche audience, but I like those kinds of games.

I'm thinking that the Arcade marketplace holds some interesting stuff for me.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By MaxOpower

I went to this board (For the first time ever) to ask the exact question as OP. But it seems OP and me are interested in two different things.

I have no interested in the big games (Your Halos, Fable, Gears, Maybe I would play Alan Wake.) My interested is only in the smaller titles. Im getting tired of waiting for the indie stuff to come out on PS3. I really want to play Bastion, Fez, Shadow Complex and others.

But would you say it was worth it, if I'm only interested in the smaller games?

And most impotent, would you buy a new console, considering that it cant take too long before a new cycle of consoles are coming out?

Also, any soon to come price drops???

processrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By processrex

I believe so yes, there are some fantastic games on the Xbox 360, even know it doesn't get the exclusives the PS3 gets, I still believe it's a while before the next console, so sure, i'd get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.