Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Can I use an old power brick with a newer console?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

Here's the deal, I had to send my Xbox 360 in for repairs and borrowed my friends. I just got home with it and it works, but I wanted to make sure [before extensive use] that what I'm doing is alright. I have a power brick from when I bought my system in March '06, so it should be the first chip and model. That being said, my friend got his maybe a little over a year ago? Not sure but he has the already-integrated HDMI port on his system.

I know between the different chips that their power base is different. So is it alright to use my old power brick with his newer model console? I don't want to ruin his console. He is out of town so that is why I chose to borrow his.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm fairly sure the new jaspers have different power usage, but I think they have a different power socket to stop people using older bricks with new consoles so if it fits, it should be OK.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By dsplayer1010

It should work

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Gunner

From what i've read, they havnt changed the power supply for the 360 since launch.

So it should work.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wwedx
    Gunner said:
    "From what i've read, they havnt changed the power supply for the 360 since launch.

So it should work."
    yea the newer one have a 175W and the oe i have has a 203W suplly i wonder if it will work
    jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By jangofett88

Yes. Older power bricks will work with newer consoles. The cord is made in the way that it fits in newer consoles, but newer bricks won't fit in older consoles. It's in the same vein as putting a 1KW psu into a Pentium 3 PC. The console only takes the amount of juice that it needs.

mancsteveuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By mancsteveuk

yes you can, you just cant use Jasper power bricks on older consoles but you can use older power bricks on newer consoles.. my old none HDMI console RROD on me a while back and the store i got it from gave me a newer falcon 360 but didnt replace my power brick and i had no problems

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mussbus999

Right now my brother is using his 360 on my old cord and my "newer" (according to the repair center) 360 with his new one. I just didn't feel like switching all the cords. Anyways, it works fine

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yep, should be fine.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By wwedx
    mussbus999 said:
    "Right now my brother is using his 360 on my old cord and my "newer" (according to the repair center) 360 with his new one. I just didn't feel like switching all the cords. Anyways, it works fine"
    LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.