Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Have there been any rumors regarding the Xbox 720?

Loghorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Loghorn
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By h0lgr

I think you should forget rumors for a while. This console gen is far from over, and you'll probably see Natal 
    first out to change things. That said, I doubt a next console from MS is going to in any way be inferior to this one - they'd probably
    not wanna risk losing the fratboy crowd.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

i hear it will have 3 blu-ray drives and a 16 terrabyte hard drive. 

also it renders games in holographic 3D. 

gonna be awesome. july 2010.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By demonbear

There IS a new xbox, its called Natal. Live with it. thats where microsoft is heading, whether you like it or not.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By h0lgr
    @demonbear: Yeah, but it's not a new console per se, it's still gonna function on the current system.
    The real question is, what will they do next? If this idea tanks, maybe they'll return to their classic style of crowd.
    But who knows, we aren't there yet for a couple of years probably.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

No one knows what Microsoft is working on next. I don't think your going to see a "dumbed down" console for the Wii-crowd, but a system that meets our needs and those of the casual. Microsoft is obviously trying to capture both kinds of people. 

Expect to see a new system with more power, memory, and features that you would expect. i'm assuming they'll focus on Games on Demand possibly having day 1 releases of games. I'm most curious about what they'll do with our achievements and arcade games.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Th3_James

2012 nov. 

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JokerSmilez

They're not going to make a new console for a while. No one wants to go out and spend another $400-500 on a new box already.

What we'll likely see is software iterations on the existing Box for a while, ie, Natal, NXE, whatever they're preparing to do with Live, etc.

The cost of making a whole new console and trying to market and sell it in this economy is just plain stupid. Not to mention the game developers wouldn't want it either. It very expensive to makes games nowadays and to they're finally figuring out how to best code for the current consoles, they don't want to spend all that time and money to adapt to yet another new console.

2014 is the earliest we'll see something "new", I bet.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By Soap

I know it's just what people use to talk about the next system, but anyone who says Xbox 720 needs to die an incredible and painful death right now.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Th3_James

it would be awesome if they just called it Xbox 3 

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jNerd
    @Loghorn said:
    " http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-next-xbox-461169  Have there been any rumors like this concerning the Xbox 720? What do you think will happen? I just hope that they won't dumb down the graphics & power to be in favour of a Wii-style family console, like it said in the article. "
    Those rumors are completely ridiculous & at best may be confused mumbles regarding Natal. Xbox has said the 720 won't be for many, many years & all man power i going into Natal to extend this console generation.
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By h0lgr
    @EpicSteve: Yeah, I think you're right. Also, what will happen to the dual-layer discs? I'm guessing either Games on Demand like you say, or go the PS3 route and just put a large-ass hard drive and bluray discs.. But, what do I know ^^ 
    Also, regarding the achievements, they couldn't possibly drop that. Imagine how many there are out there with 20k+ score, they'd feel crushed!
    Personally, if they step in that direction, it would tell me they are not into sticking with their crowd.
    Globox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Globox82

no new xbox for at least 3 years. Whos gonna buy it and why? It would horrible move releasing 500$ and running into 199$ PS3. Remember ppl PRICE DOES matter. So i think no new xbox or PS4 in next 3 to 4 years. Who needs them honestly?  Let publishers, developers, and console makers settle down and make some money then release proper next get systems.
    Although i honestly think next Nintendo console will be first on market, it will be cheap and it will dominate.....again.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By demonbear
    @h0lgr: Thats the thing bro, Natal IS what they want to do next. Thats the plan.
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By septim

I think if Natal really dominates and the PS3 Arc doesn't take off, then Sony is most likely to jump the gun and try what MS did with the 360 in 2005.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @septim said:
    " I think if Natal really dominates and the PS3 Arc doesn't take off, then Sony is most likely to jump the gun and try what MS did with the 360 in 2005. "
    Sony is still losing money on every PS3 sold and they're still making PS2s. You really think they're going to try and push a PS4 out the door? 

I really don't think MS is going to try and make Natal into their only thing. I think they'll make a bunch of casual style games for it, but mostly it will accentuate the gameplay of regular games, with voice and facial recognition, etc. Either that or it will flop entirely.

I really don't think we'll see any new consoles for several years to come, except maybe from Nintendo. Lord knows they love to iterate on their current stuff (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, etc).

Honestly, is anyone here sick of their 360 or PS3 and dying for something new? Does anyone really want a new console? I'm sure MS and Sony don't want a new one either, because they don't make money on them.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Sin4profit

...i heard it's going to be cartridge based...

Actually i think they'll bait out the Natal to see if that's worth further development on a newer system before they even think of making new hardware...longer they wait, better tech goes in it. I'm not sick of my 360 yet and i can see many parts of it that could see a software upgrade before they solidify what to put into new hardware.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
    @h0lgr said:
    " @EpicSteve: Yeah, I think you're right. Also, what will happen to the dual-layer discs? I'm guessing either Games on Demand like you say, or go the PS3 route and just put a large-ass hard drive and bluray discs.. But, what do I know ^^  Also, regarding the achievements, they couldn't possibly drop that. Imagine how many there are out there with 20k+ score, they'd feel crushed! Personally, if they step in that direction, it would tell me they are not into sticking with their crowd. "
    I know they couldn't straight up "drop" achievements. However, what about 2 Xbox systems from now? Are we all just going to have 1,000,000 points at some point? What bout the guy just getting into games starting out at 0?
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By h0lgr
    @EpicSteve said:

I know they couldn't straight up "drop" achievements. However, what about 2 Xbox systems from now? Are we all just going to have 1,000,000 points at some point? What bout the guy just getting into games starting out at 0? "

I'd say they have something to look forward to... Although I see the problem with that like you say. It's a difficult thing to do,
    maybe you could incorporate some kind of "old-school" score, where you have two separate scores. Like you could see what games a person
    had completed in the past, and also have a separate score for newer games. That way, you can keep your bragging rights while still making way for a new person
    to compete with someone who played games before.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422

I don't know why anyone wants to even think about the next console...

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azteck
    @EpicSteve said:
    " @h0lgr said:
    " @EpicSteve: Yeah, I think you're right. Also, what will happen to the dual-layer discs? I'm guessing either Games on Demand like you say, or go the PS3 route and just put a large-ass hard drive and bluray discs.. But, what do I know ^^  Also, regarding the achievements, they couldn't possibly drop that. Imagine how many there are out there with 20k+ score, they'd feel crushed! Personally, if they step in that direction, it would tell me they are not into sticking with their crowd. "
    I know they couldn't straight up "drop" achievements. However, what about 2 Xbox systems from now? Are we all just going to have 1,000,000 points at some point? What bout the guy just getting into games starting out at 0? "
    I'd say that they won't drop it entirely. That would be a dumb move. Achievements are awesome.. often enough. But honestly, can you say that you are jealous of the people who have 50k score? I can't.
    Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By Bennyishere

Look, if any proper news comes out about new consoles, that shit will be all over the Internets. You won't miss it when it happens, so no need to ask us.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

no, i do not think there is going to be one soon. like 2015 is going to be at least news on the next xbox.

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bennyishere said:
    " Look, if any proper news comes out about new consoles, that shit will be all over the Internets. You won't miss it when it happens, so no need to ask us. "
    This.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JoelTGM

So does that mean it only supports up to 720p?

JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By JohnRehill
    @demonbear said:
    " @h0lgr: Thats the thing bro, Natal IS what they want to do next. Thats the plan. "
    yep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.