Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

How does the Xbox 360 keep on rolling and looking good doing it?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

I saw the new footage of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim probably like everyone else. But I had a question...

" I wonder how it will look on the Xbox 360? I'm sure I won't have a PC that will handle this thing when it comes out. "

I got this reply from Mercanis, thanks for that by the way.

It'll look on the 360 exactly like it looks in that trailer: 
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290735/news/elder-scrolls-v-gameplay-trailer-created-on-xbox-360/

Cool, check this out from the article.

A poster naming themselves as Bethesda Softworks community boss Nick Breckon saw a comment on NeoGAF ("Would be phenomenal if the gameplay trailer is predominately console footage.") and replied:

"Just to clarify, all of this trailer was captured on Xbox 360. Also, the draw distance is not faked in any way."

Just imagine what it's going to look like on PC. 

Okay, how does the Xbox 360 do it? I'm sure the PS3 will look great too, but the Xbox 360 will be close to 6 years old when this game is released. This machine just keeps on keeping on. I'm left scratching my head, but thankful that I'll get to play this game because I don't see a new PC in my future.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DarkTravesty

its closed hardware so developers can use code trickery.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Claude
    @DarkTravesty said:
    " its closed hardware so developers can use code trickery. "
    That's it. A nip and tuck.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MisterChief

Developers learn how to max out the hardware. Just look at what happened with late gen PS2 games.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By time allen

optimization. i don't have any clue how developers go about doing that but i'm going to pretend that i do.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Give me your gamertag so we can make babies. 

Derp, it's in your bio.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
    @Axxol said:
    " Give me your gamertag so we can make babies.  Derp, it's in your bio. "
    I can't do much because I'm impotent with Silver.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Claude: magic, thats all its is, magic... 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Claude
    @mrfizzy said:
    " @Claude: magic, thats all its is, magic...  "
    Fucking Wizards, they're everywhere.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

Games always look better the further into the consoles life cycle developers go. My question is just how far this generation can go though. 
    But yeah, I went back to play Oblivion today, and while it still looks good, it's not what I remember it looking like. 
    Even so, Skyrim manages to look even better than my memory of Oblivion. I can't wait. I'm dropping out of Berkeley to play this game.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Claude said:
    " @mrfizzy said:
    " @Claude: magic, thats all its is, magic...  "
    Fucking Wizards, they're everywhere. "
    Oh yeah, i hear Microsoft has basements of them in cages, like battery farms... but for Wizards. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

360 is showing it's age, as great as Halo Reach looked, it did have low framerate dips at many points in the game.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
    @Claude: I think having a closed hardware is the key. While developer can get much more raw power out of the PC the hardware varies from computer to computer so developers have to consider a much wider arrange of hardware and how it will work on it. Having the hardware constant from machine to machine gives the developer the opportunity to keep polishing the code and making changed where they are due while not worrying about how a different Xbox 360 or a different PS3 will react to it. Besides having a 6 year experience with a closed hardware will make you pretty darn good at coding for it.  

Actually if you think about it the xbox 360 and the PS3 hardware is much older then 6 years. Probably more to the 8 year range. 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Claude
    @Mordukai:  I'm still taken aback from it all. I wonder if that's why consoles fail. The code is made for the newer version, so the older version fails.
    MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MAGZine

Imagine what PC developers could potentially do should they maximize the use of 2010's hardware. 

It's all about optimization and pushing the limits of not only the hardware, but of their clients. Lag/a low frame rate (where I can noticeably detect shudder/choppyness) is a no-no for me, and I see it increasingly more in the later stages of the current gen consoles. Developers can make greater looking games, but are taking a gamble on gamers.  

The last thing is that XBox and PC games usually do not share the same viewing angle (more objects being drawn on the PC)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @Claude said:
    " @Mordukai:  I'm still taken aback from it all. I wonder if that's why consoles fail. The code is made for the newer version, so the older version fails. "
    There are many reasons why consoles fail but code issues is not one of them. Usually new code is based off of older ones so it's kinda like perfecting a recipe. You have the basis down but every time you change one little ingredient to make it taste better. 
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17  Edited By Sin4profit

aren't you the Nintendo guy?  
    but yeah, it's like @DarkTravesty: said. The engineers behind the software come up with different tricks to use within the confines of the hardware.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Claude
    @Sin4profit said:
    " aren't you the Nintendo guy?  
    but yeah, it's like @DarkTravesty: said. The engineers behind the software come up with different tricks to use within the confines of the hardware. "
    Yes, I used to love my Wii. But now we're just friends with benefits. It's still amazing what they can do with older hardware.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

it's because they optimize the coding. since it late in the generation, they know how to code games better than when it first came. look at some of the first games that came out for the 360 and now look at them. A FUCKING MASTER PIECE.

ryanplus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanplus

I'm glad this console generation has gone for this long and keeps on going.  No way do I want another console coming out soon.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

You learn every inch of coding possibilities eventually, you know every limit, and you figure out how to push those limits to THEIR limits. Because it's always the same hardware, you can learn every detail about it and optimize perfectly for it. Or at least try to. Although, I think Skyrim is a bad example of it, honestly. The engine renders really nice but the assets aren't terribly impressive from what they have shown. But it's still totally true that even today, games look better and better every time, and comparing, for example, Gears 3 footage to footage of the original game, results in a massive "wow" factor. It's the beautiful phenomenon that allows the console to compete to an extent with PC on a tech level. I mean, if developers didn't figure out how to get past the Kameo level of detail, or the Call of Duty 2 level of detail, we already would be on our way to the successor of the 360's successor. But un-improving hardware is a double edged sword, because it allows for a much greater familiarity, and a much stabler, more predictable platform. In some ways, the rate of PCs improving as fast as the do is a disadvantage, because it means a lot of the crazy top of the line, bleeding edge hardware is useless at launch because it's not viable to make games at that level yet.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @ryanplus said:
    " I'm glad this console generation has gone for this long and keeps on going.  No way do I want another console coming out soon. "
    The feeling is mutual. Although I can use a hardware upgrade but I guess that's what computers are for. 
    Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Amilmitt

Smoother code that makes better overall usage of what the console has to give.
    also smarter use of polys of objects, characters and landscapes.  also their new engine is probably using the same technique as unreal, where you can make one static mesh and copy it around a lot and not really use any more processing power.
    also better texturing. that shit can take up a lot of space.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman

When I saw the water, I figured it was console footage. 

Not that I'm trying to take anything away from it. Looks amazing.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Claude: So you won't get it on the Wii? 

I am glad I can get a sexy looking game.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @Claude: So you won't get it on the Wii?  I am glad I can get a sexy looking game. "
    Well, aren't you lovely. I'll just turn you in for a slim.
    Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zaft
    @Mordukai said:
    " @ryanplus said:
    " I'm glad this console generation has gone for this long and keeps on going.  No way do I want another console coming out soon. "
    The feeling is mutual. Although I can use a hardware upgrade but I guess that's what computers are for.  "
    I would bloody love to see consoles that allowed upgrades such as new graphics cards or such. Hell, I'd even buy "Microsoft Specific" merchandise for it if I had too (even though it'd be 10x the price). Just being able to upgrade shit gets me all giddy.

It'll never happen.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Akrid

Look at some of the less flattering screen shots and you'll notice most of the old Bethesda tricks in play. Most of the improvement you notice in all these sequels are comprised of the all around better art and feel of the game, as opposed to technical barriers being breached. 

The new engine at first glance doesn't seem to have anything Gamebryo didn't have. Except environment shadows, which is admittedly no mean feat. It also looks like it's pushing a few more polygons then it used to.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Claude
    @Akrid said:
    " Look at some of the less flattering screen shots and you'll notice most of the old Bethesda tricks in play. Most of the improvement you notice in all these sequels are comprised of the all around better art and feel of the game, as opposed to technical barriers being breached.  The new engine at first glance doesn't seem to have anything Gamebryo didn't have. Except environment shadows, which is admittedly no mean feat. It also looks like it's pushing a few more polygons then it used to. "
    I found the polygon count an issue when I first played Oblivion on my older PC.  I went straight for the less polygons mod to sort some things out, that, and some other mods to better optimize the game.

Sometimes I think I should try out the 360 version. I loved Oblivion on the PC. I even created a mod. I never shared it, but it worked for me. A little thief hold in the Market Square. I remember it well. I even picked the boxes that would not respawn and renamed them. I miss that world, but it had to be erased.
    4LOGPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 4LOGPC

I am still amazed how good some games look on this generation of consoles. It is crazy to think that the 360 came out in 2005. 

PaulKemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PaulKemp
    @JJWeatherman: @JJWeatherman said:
    " When I saw the water, I figured it was console footage.  Not that I'm trying to take anything away from it. Looks amazing. "  
    When I saw the trees with the spring and fall footage, I 'figured' it was PC footage. It does indeed look amazing. The xbox is holding up on multi, but Killzone 3 does also look damn good. I dont think Epic will be able to match those graphics with Gears 3. Personally, I dont care. 
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By jorbear

Seems like Microsoft has been hiring some witch doctors to do some "voodoo magic".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.