Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

I'm no programmer but...

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

...but I'm having a hard time understanding why I can't download movies and, at the same time, play a game without signing off from Xbox Live. It's not the biggest deal in the world by any means. That said, when I'm downloading The Dark Knight, I'd  much rather be playing Grand Theft Auto IV than sit there and stare at 0% for 20 minutes.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Is it Microsoft being lazy, frugal, or is it a technical nightmare?

Like I said, I'm no programmer! =P

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xandurson

The reason is that if you are playing a game that needs to connect to Xbox Live for certain things while you are downloading something the two things running at the same time would take up so much bandwidth that your game would respond slowly and, if there are enough people doing the same thing, crash the servers.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pirate_republic

Yeah it's either that most people's internet can't handle it, or the 360 doesn't have enough RAM to multitask.

BOSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BOSS

Depends on the game, I thought.  If the download doesn't interfere with what your game is doing, then it will continue.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum
    GamerGeek360 said:
    "The reason is that if you are playing a game that needs to connect to Xbox Live for certain things while you are downloading something the two things running at the same time would take up so much bandwidth that your game would respond slowly and, if there are enough people doing the same thing, crash the servers."
    This, try and play an offline game. This applies to all downloads you have, I normally will plop in a football game or something and just wait for my downloads to be finished.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.