Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Jasper rrod?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

Are jaspers impervious to rrod? I just bought one and was curious what the failure rate if any the Jasper 360s have.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64
    @Devil240Z: 
    Every system has a chance of getting the RRoD.  With the Jasper model, it's supposed to have a lower chance of getting it.  I really don't know that numbers though.  If I did, I would tell you.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

Too early to have any real statistics. I can't find any confirmed cases of a Jasper model RRoD but I'm guessing it is still at least somewhat possible.  

Beyond considerations of where you put the 360, how long you leave it on, whether or not you install to HD, etc. the RRoD is just luck.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

well at least ive got the 3 year warranty. 

little worried about my launch ps3 though...

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CenturionCajun

There is no magic formula for figuring out which models will and won't RROD. I had a launch system for two and a half years before it died. In the same time period I've known people who have gone through four or five systems. Generally speaking the new hardware should be much less susceptible to failure but it does happen. just keep it off the carpet laying on its side and clean. That's about all you can do. That and pray.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Gav47

The Jasper uses a 65nm process so it is quicker, cooler and consumes less power. So follow Microsoft advice and leave one foot of space behind the console and you'll be fine.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

wait its bad to have it vertical? ive got my 360 and ps3 standing vertically in a pretty well ventilated spot, actually its right next to a window so if it gets too hot I can just open that up and get a nice breeze going.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Devil240Z: I think the holes on the bottom of the 360 are more important than the holes on the side, though I'm not 100% sure. The main reason I go horizontal is so I don't have to worry about having a brain fart that results in the disc falling out of the tray.
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Bigandtasty: hmm I only have enough room to have one console horizontal. anyone have faith in those cooling units for 360/ps3?
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Devil240Z: I'm pretty sure that the cooling units for 360 hurt more than they help because they siphon power from the 360. No idea about the PS3 ones.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, cooling units are trash. At the best they are a waste of space and at the worst they suck power from the system causing it to heat up even more. I said to lay the 360 flat because vertical wobbling is what causes burn rings. The PS3 should be fine as it doesn't use a disc trap.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Devil240Z
    @CenturionCajun: yeah I had a launch pro 360 and I made the mistake of moving the console while i was playing my favorite game and it totally ruined the disc. 

@Bigandtasty: I kinda figured that they were all smoke and mirrors.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By iam3green

i don't think so. i never heard of rrod happening. microsoft said that it has a lower chance of getting rood.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Keyser_Soze

There's no such as thing as an impervious 360 to RROD. They all carry the same faults, MS just deems it cheaper to repair them than change the whole manufacturing process.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stang

I have been playing the fuck out of my Jasper since I got it about 6 weeks a go. Even after being on for a couple hours, it produces no where near as much heat as my previous 14 million 360's did after only being on for a short period. If mine craps out, you can trust there will be a rant about it.

Knock on wood just for safety :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.