Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft: 720p not needed right now.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

NOTE: I meant to say 720 (as in the next Console) not 720p.

Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1024276p1.html

In an interview with Develop, Microsoft Game Studios head Phil Spencer said the company is focused on evolving the current Xbox 360 console, with additions such as Project Natal, and is not interested in pushing brand new hardware out the door anytime soon.

"We effectively reinvented the Xbox once already when we rewrote the dashboard. It's not about trying to sell consumers a new piece of hardware at the wrong time, it's about evolving the platform continuously. And we are going to find things, like Natal, that are hardware-related to also do that," said Spender.

"Do we need to sell a new console at some point? I don't think we need to right now," he added. "We'll wait until our experiences are at the right point, like we have done with the Natal camera. We'll wait until everyone is ready for it from a software perspective."

Spencer argues the release of Natal "starts a new generation of entertainment." He also says consumers don't want another full-priced console.

"And in terms of putting more hardware on the market, what else can we do? Put more memory in it? I don't think that's enough," he says. "We like where we are at with the box – 360 currently has a great price point. Consumers don't want another $400 box right now." 

I actually kinda disagree since a Peripheral wont make up for the dated tech in 360. it just wasnt built to last more than 5 years I think tech wise. Espeacilly since they used DVD 9, which is already showing its age.  Every year that goes by from now on I think is going to not favor 360 in terms of Visuals and tech and all that.  

PS: I meant to say 720, not 720p. I cant fix it since GB wont let you edit Thread titles.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ieatlions

do visuals really matter ? and tech isnt really important.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond
    Uhh no, he said Xbox 720 (meaning the next Xbox) isn't needed right now.  Different than 720p.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akeldama

MS is going to have to push out a whole new console soon just to keep up. The DVD9 is a larger issue than they anticipate.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

This says nothing about 720p.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword

Its a typo, I cant fix it.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zombie2011
    @Diamond said:
    " Uhh no, he said Xbox 720 (meaning the next Xbox) isn't needed right now.  Different than 720p. "
    Well that clears it up, i read the thread title and couldn't understand what it meant.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

I mean, I do wonder how theyll be able to deal with DVD 9 size restraints in the coming years.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " I mean, I do wonder how theyll be able to deal with DVD 9 size restraints in the coming years. "
    It sounds to me like developers are willing to work with MS, 360 being a major chunk of the money they get.  Rage being modified for 360 in that way, FF13 being modified now (no Japanese audio in Western versions).
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zombie2011
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " I mean, I do wonder how theyll be able to deal with DVD 9 size restraints in the coming years. "
    multiple disks, they already had a couple of games on multiple disks so its not a big deal.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " Uhh no, he said Xbox 720 (meaning the next Xbox) isn't needed right now.  Different than 720p. "
    Well that clears it up, i read the thread title and couldn't understand what it meant. "
    Why did you respond to just the title and not read his post.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ieatlions
    @Raven_Sword said:
    i dont know im to lazy to switch a disk im going to have to get one of them blue rayz
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @JeffGoldblum said:

" @zombie2011 said:

" @Diamond said:
    Well that clears it up, i read the thread title and couldn't understand what it meant. "
    Why did you respond to just the title and not read his post. "
    I don't even think the guy mentioned Xbox 720 (let alone 720p), that was just the IGN headline.

edit - I see, the interviewer at develop-online.net specifically asked about 720, but the MS guy never called it that.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jkz

There's no reason to push the tech, companies usually want a huge leap in visual and computing fidelity, and its just not there yet. Now with pipelines getting streamlined we could be hitting another flux, but I'd say just look to PCs for an indication of where we are right now. Barring DVD9, I don't think theres any need for any new hardware, unless its a Wii HD

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword
    @Diamond:

But there are some games (like Elderscrolls) where multidisc jsut cant work. what, are you going to switch discs whenever you want to go to the other half of the world? I really think its going to be a problem for MS in terms of Multipalform games in the future, since games are getting bigger and better. Plus, IW already said there isnt much more they can do with 360, and Ubisoft said the same for SC Conviction. This amkes me worry for the future of the platform if devs are already maxing it out and they still want to have the thing out for 5 more years.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ieatlions
    @Raven_Sword: Microsoft isnt worrying you schouldn't cause lifes just great .
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Diamond: But there are some games (like Elderscrolls) where multidisc jsut cant work. what, are you going to switch discs whenever you want to go to the other half of the world? I really think its going to be a problem for MS in terms of Multipalform games in the future, since games are getting bigger and better. Plus, IW already said there isnt much more they can do with 360, and Ubisoft said the same for SC Conviction. This amkes me worry for the future of the platform if devs are already maxing it out and they still want to have the thing out for 5 more years. "
    I don't think that sort of situation is going to come up much.  In the case of the soon coming Forza 3, sounds like you install the 2nd disk to the HDD so you can instantly play those tracks when you're playing the game with the 1st disk.  Fallout 3 doesn't even take up the whole DVD9.

Companies like IW and Ubisoft always use PR stuff, so people think they're getting 'the best that there'll ever be for system X'.  Naughty Dog was saying Uncharted 2 used 100% of the PS3's power for that matter, and that isn't true either.

Basically I think in extreme cases MS is going to have install disks on 360, like with Forza 3.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravensword
    @Diamond:

See, taht I dont mind. as long as they release a bigger HDD soon and make it so the Installed DVDs can be streamlined from the first.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By killdave
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Diamond: But there are some games (like Elderscrolls) where multidisc jsut cant work. what, are you going to switch discs whenever you want to go to the other half of the world? I really think its going to be a problem for MS in terms of Multipalform games in the future, since games are getting bigger and better. Plus, IW already said there isnt much more they can do with 360, and Ubisoft said the same for SC Conviction. This amkes me worry for the future of the platform if devs are already maxing it out and they still want to have the thing out for 5 more years. "
    Elder scroll games were born on the xbox and microsoft platforms so I think microsoft know what they are doing.

While games like SC, while being third party, are becoming exclusive to xbox. Again i think microsoft know what they are doing.

There is a reason why microsoft is the worlds biggest and richest company, because they know what they are doing.

They came into the console market at a time when it was nearly all sony with its mammoth ps2, and look at them now! Because microsoft know what they are doing.

you'll see digital downloads overtake dvd's before something else overtakes them (bluray / bluray9 or whatever....)
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zombie2011
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " @Diamond said:
    Why did you respond to just the title and not read his post. "
    I didn't, after i read his post i was trying to figure out why he was talking about screen resolution in the title when the article mentioned nothing about it.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravensword
    @killdave:

I think your giving them too much credit. after all, they rushed the damn thing out and caused a Billion dollar Repair bill, Are you saying they knew what tehy were doing and tehy were fine with that?
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I think the current level of visual quality is great and definitely good enough. It's clean, sharp and well done. Older engines, like World of Warcraft (specifically Wrath of the Lich King), also demonstrate how artistic vision can transform a dated system into something marvelous. I thank Microsoft for making this comment, regardless of whta their real motivations may be (if any). However what the should do is redesign the current hardware. The 360 as a platform is great, but the hardware is garbage and should be redone, fixed and cleaned up. 

I can only speak for myself, but a stories (true or not) regarding the massive number of hardware failures has kept me from buying. It will also continue to do so.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By demontium
    @Raven_Sword: your avatar is awesome, DBZAbriged ftw!
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ninjakiller

if Microsoft does keep shrinking the console cycle, 4 years XBOX-------->360, I think that'll just drive people to game on PCs more. 

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I agree with MS...there is no need for a new console yet. The tech in the 360 is still capable of supporting big great looking games that don't look dated in the least imo. Also, it just doesn't make any business sense to move onto a new console yet. People don't have as much money to spend, and producing a new console would be a big financial burden on MS and Sony. Also, if you compare the number of console owners from this generation and the previous one, there is still a significant number of people out there that haven't converted to a next gen console yet.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

good to hear that they don't want to release a new system anytime soon. i like the mistake of the title  lol. from that i was thinking dang i'm stuck with a 720p tv when they are going to be having games in 1080p. i usually buy next generation games when the price drops so it will be something like three years after the thing is released.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By TheHBK

well i think the thing about this console cycle is that it is still pretty much going strong and if it were a traditional console cycle like what we saw before, the 720 would be out next year.  But that is not going to happen.  Game sales are going to ramp up next year and if no one else is putting out another console, then why should they?  This is all about money and MS is not going to start up a new hardware cycle if they can just stick to what they have because launching a new machine means losing money for a while again.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ravensword
    @TheHBK:

One has to wonder though if, from a Design adn Tech perspective, if 360 can last much longer.
    AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AaronAlex
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @TheHBK: One has to wonder though if, from a Design adn Tech perspective, if 360 can last much longer. "
    Well apparently the PS2 is still alive and kicking. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

I tend to agree. Looking at the best looking PC game, it does look great, but even a game with 4 times as much detail as a 360 game only looks marginally better to most people. That's how it works at this point. I'm not ready to fork out 500 dollars for a system that looks as good as Crytec 3. That's not enough. With wallets tightening as they are, they really need to wait till they can make a Playstation->Playstation 2 level leap, which they can't right now. And developers probably aren't anxious to upgrade to a system that requires yet more development time and money especially since most of the gaming audience is perfectly content with something like a Wii.
    Its lateral thinking, their system doesn't need to be stronger to be more appealing and if Sony is willing to wait 10 years, that gives MS some breathing room so they don't need to upgrade their system.
    Plus, its all about marginal upgrades at this point anyway. I'm sure the Xboxs being made in 3 years will run better and be capable of just a little bit more than the Xboxs at launch, just like PS2s.
    All they really need to do is offer cheaper and larger harddrives and they'll be fine for the next half decade.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK

Honestly you look at crysis once and it's amazing. Look at it twice and it's everything else that looks garbage, instead of crysis looking excceptional. Basically i think that the wii has allowed everyone else to stop pushing as hard to be technologically superior (which is expensive)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Well then you think "well most of these gaming PCs are using MS products". They don't really have a need to upgrade their console, even if PC games make the 360 look kinda shitty. They can basically wait until they see a bump in the PC market when the gap between PC and 360 becomes too large, then they just figure out a way to get the latest PC build fit into a console. I think they have at least 3 years before that happens. Its not really an issue until the average PC game makes the 360 look like shit, as it is Crysis is an anomaly.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By Jeust
    @ryanwho said:

" I tend to agree. Looking at the best looking PC game, it does look great, but even a game with 4 times as much detail as a 360 game only looks marginally better to most people. That's how it works at this point. I'm not ready to fork out 500 dollars for a system that looks as good as Crytec 3. That's not enough. With wallets tightening as they are, they really need to wait till they can make a Playstation->Playstation 2 level leap, which they can't right now. And developers probably aren't anxious to upgrade to a system that requires yet more development time and money especially since most of the gaming audience is perfectly content with something like a Wii. Its lateral thinking, their system doesn't need to be stronger to be more appealing and if Sony is willing to wait 10 years, that gives MS some breathing room so they don't need to upgrade their system. Plus, its all about marginal upgrades at this point anyway. I'm sure the Xboxs being made in 3 years will run better and be capable of just a little bit more than the Xboxs at launch, just like PS2s. All they really need to do is offer cheaper and larger harddrives and they'll be fine for the next half decade. "

or a new promotion for switching from the arcade model to a elite one. 

and the only problem with multiple dvds is their reliability.  

They have to work, don't they?
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Snail

So apparently this generation will suffice for shit like Project Natal for ever, which I'm guessing means that we'll be stuck with this generation until people realize that a new generation might be more fun than making a fool of yourself in front of a TV while playing "Wii [insert activity that is more fun in real life here]".

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By meteora

Yeah, it's a good idea not to jump for the next console. That's good for gamers and the companies.

Besides that, with the limitation of the 6.8 GB DVD discs developers are creatively optimizing the space they have and yet the game still looks great. Hell I don't even know how they managed to cram all the games into the Orange Box and it's only like 5 GB.

AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AaronAlex
    @Snail said:
    " So apparently this generation will suffice for shit like Project Natal for ever, which I'm guessing means that we'll be stuck with this generation until people realize that a new generation might be more fun than making a fool of yourself in front of a TV while playing "Wii [insert activity that is more fun in real life here]". "
    Who's saying that the only new games are going to be motion based ones.  
    Not everyone is willing to pay for another console right now, and i don't blame them. Graphics and gameplay are fine as they are right now.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
    @AaronAlex said:
    " @Snail said:
    " So apparently this generation will suffice for shit like Project Natal for ever, which I'm guessing means that we'll be stuck with this generation until people realize that a new generation might be more fun than making a fool of yourself in front of a TV while playing "Wii [insert activity that is more fun in real life here]". "
    Who's saying that the only new games are going to be motion based ones.  Not everyone is willing to pay for another console right now, and i don't blame them. Graphics and gameplay are fine as they are right now. "
    Well snail your meditation was brief i see :p 

Graphics and gameplay are fine as they are, and there aren't in this generation as much great games as to keep me and other gamers interested in fork a bit/lot of cash for another system to develop upon them. 

I need more to justify my investment. 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Snail
    @Jeust: 
    @AaronAlex said:

" @Snail said:

Who's saying that the only new games are going to be motion based ones.  Not everyone is willing to pay for another console right now, and i don't blame them. Graphics and gameplay are fine as they are right now. "
    They graphics are great right now, but they were great in the PS2 too, weren't they? And yet a PS3 exists. Graphics can always be better amirite? There is no logical reason to stop the evolution and the bettering of such characteristics merely because "this generation is doing fine and we still have lots of stuff in stock for it lololololol project natal".

Jeez people. Better means better. Yes it is fine as it is, but I think we would all enjoy seeing a new Xbox, an improvement , ONE THAT DOESN'T BREAK EVERY YEAR THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By wefwefasdf

If they are still considering going the DLC route all they would have to do is release larger hard drives. DVD 9 probably won't be that big of a restraint anyhow.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
    @Snail:  

I agree, though i haven't seen much in this generation to justify forking 400$ for another hardware. 

I haven't seen all that many impressive games, that would justify the purchase of another system to continue playing. 

Microsoft and Sony think on profit, so while it isn't profitable to deliver a new system, we will have to wait.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Snail
    @Jeust: Personally, I have had quite enough of this average generation.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
    @Snail:  Me too. That's why... what makes you think that more capacity will make better games? 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Snail
    @Jeust: Well this generation has proved its worth. We should leave it behind and see how the next one works out.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeust
    @Snail:  

I agree... but i'd more inclined to continue playing and buying ps2 than to jump into a new generation of consoles. At least till i see something that makes it worth it. 

Most of the games are variations of what have been made for about 2 generations, if not more, so though a better hardware would make it more interesting, i think that games need to be though differently.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, what terrible flamebait the thread title is. Even if it's a typo, you know tons of people are clicking it just to get their rage on :P

As for gearing up for the next generation, you can easily get your finger off the trigger.
    None of the consoles have hit their pinnacle yet imo.

AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AaronAlex
    @Snail said: 

" @Snail said:

They graphics are great right now, but they were great in the PS2 too, weren't they? And yet a PS3 exists. Graphics can always be better amirite? There is no logical reason to stop the evolution and the bettering of such characteristics merely because "this generation is doing fine and we still have lots of stuff in stock for it lololololol project natal".   Jeez people. Better means better. Yes it is fine as it is, but I think we would all enjoy seeing a new Xbox, an improvement , ONE THAT DOESN'T BREAK EVERY YEAR THANK YOU VERY MUCH. "
    I see your point and i agree with most of it, but i still think theres some life too the current generation.  I think there are innovations yet to be explored in game development, that the current gen can cater too. ( no im not talking about natal )
    And not too many people would be in a rush to spend even more money on another console. And im not excited for natal at all, I would just like to see my $1000 investment go a little further. 
    But hey thats just me, and maybe your right.
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By Bane

I tend to agree with MS at this point for a couple of reasons.

First is the television.   This gen of consoles are HDTV sellers, but have they become the norm yet?  A lot of people still have SDTV's (get with the times already!).  Those that have HDTV's are also accounted for since the current 360 hardware is designed to output 720p.   I don't see a reason to release new hardware with increased graphical fidelity at this time because of this.

Second is hard drive installs.  The DVD may require future games to be released on multiple discs, but since we're able to install it to the hard drive I don't see a problem with that.  I think they're price gouging the hell out of their hard drives, but what are you gonna do besides not buy one?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By AndrewB

Microsoft: DURRRRRRRRRRRRRF.

This is just echoing what everyone else is saying. The only console that will receive a significant update in the next couple years is the Wii when sales start to plummet.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Otacon

I'm glad that the '720' or 'PS4' won't be coming any time soon. They are two brilliant consoles that have constant backing trying to improve them. From a consumer standpoint, neither are dated either. I think it's great that I won't have to buy a new system for a long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.