My wife is not a video game person at all. But for some odd reason she REALLY got into Dead Rising (she watches, I play) and so we have played through DR 1 and 2 over the past year or so, but now that we're done with those, we're sort of looking for the next thing. Here's why I think Dead Rising works for us and what I'm looking for in our next game :
1) Relatively linear storyline - Yes there are different ways that things can end up but the story is largely on rails. We tried playing Saints Row 3 and I think that's a bit too "open" for us. We need a game that will prod us to stay on the story a bit more.
2) relatively simple gameplay - I know Dead Rising is probably not considered the easiest game in the world, but at the end of the day, you run around and press "X" to kill zombies. Straightforward.
3) good walkthroughs / wiki support - She was my wingman during all the Dead Rising time. Every time I got stuck, she would pull out her trusty iPad and pull up the various wiki's to guide me through the tougher parts or help explain outcomes that were not otherwise obvious.
4) a little campy - we enjoyed the dumbness of Dead Rising just enough. We're not looking for over the top stupidity, although we found the first few hours of Saints Row 3 highly entertaining at times - again, just not really keeping us on point with the narrative.
5) cheap and/or free - I love Games with Gold and I have all of them, so if there's a good candidate there I'd prefer that. Let's say $20 or less is a good target. $60 or even $40 games are a no-go.
6) not super gory - I know what you're thinking - really?!? You played Dead Rising and you don't like gore?!? This is the paradox that is my wife, folks. Shooters with a ton of headshots are not going to work with her. She was incredibly disinterested in Halo when I played it.
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.